Moderator: Site Admin

hit_it
Paratrooper

For you Paratroopers.....

Post by hit_it »

Change won't hurt 82nd

By Kevin Maurer
Staff writer

The Army plans to cut less than 1 percent of the 82nd Airborne Division's parachute positions as part of a service-wide plan to streamline its fighting force, a division official confirmed Thursday.

Rumors about cuts in the number of soldiers on jump status have been circulating around Fort Bragg for weeks. The 82nd is the only airborne division in the Army, and the soldiers take pride in being paratroopers.

It is unclear what units will lose their jump status.

"It is an ongoing commander-to-commander discussion to validate where the paid parachute positions need to be," the division official said on condition of anonymity.

The cuts are likely to come from the support and aviation brigades, the official said.

The Army is trying to streamline its units so it can deploy more quickly. The idea is to make the Army more effective at fighting without making it larger. That involves moving resources from larger to smaller units that are closer to combat.

The reduction is a misnomer though, because the "All American" division will gain nearly 3,500 soldiers through personnel transfers from the larger units. The cuts are expected to come out of this group, the official said.

Smooth transition

By the summer of 2006, the 82nd will be made up of four brigade combat teams, an aviation brigade and a support brigade. Apache, Black Hawk and Chinook helicopters now in the 18th Airborne Corps aviation brigades will move to the 82nd.

The transformation is expected to go smoothly, the official said, because the division has been operating as self-sustaining brigade combat teams for decades.

The 3rd Infantry Division has completed its transformation and has already deployed to Iraq. The 101st Airborne Division is completing its transformation and will deploy to Iraq this summer.

"We are going to get it right," the official said. "We are taking the lessons learned from those who went before us."

Staff writer Kevin Maurer can be reached at maurerk@fayettevillenc.com or

486-3587.

http://www.fayettevilleobserver.com/sto ... ry=7097030
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
sleeper6
Embryo

Post by sleeper6 »

SFC Hit It,

I noticed that the 17th Cav may have lost their airborne status and shifted to another well known unit is this true? Also does this mean that the last remaining Airborne Cav unit is in Louisiana? Thanks.
401st CA 99-00
BAC 00
19D 00-02
91V 02-current
(Ranger Hopeful)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

sleeper6 wrote:SFC Hit It,

I noticed that the 17th Cav may have lost their airborne status and shifted to another well known unit is this true? Also does this mean that the last remaining Airborne Cav unit is in Louisiana? Thanks.
Actually, there are more 19D's on status now than ever before.

Even though 1/17 CAV will join the 101st when it returns from Iraq, each BDE in the 82d has a RSTA sqaudron forming which will have 19D's.

By Lineage, they will be CAV. Some will retain the Infantry Battalion name.

Also, the 173d in italy and the new Airborne UA in Alaska will have 19D's on status.

Add those jump slots to the Already formed D Troop 509TH at Polk, and you got some happy Cav Scouts.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

how about they take bldg 4 off jump status
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Jumpers should be paid per jump and units shouldn't be on status, it should be managed per individual.

1 Jump Per quarter = 450 dollars a jump!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:Jumpers should be paid per jump and units shouldn't be on status, it should be managed per individual.

It would deffenately make a 1SG's life easier. nothinmg like haveing a 11th hour pay loss. :roll:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

rgrpuck wrote:
Silverback wrote:Jumpers should be paid per jump and units shouldn't be on status, it should be managed per individual.

It would deffenately make a 1SG's life easier. nothinmg like haveing a 11th hour pay loss. :roll:
I still don't understand how it could get to that point, 1SG. Some guys would do anything to aviod a jump then run up for manifest when they know they gonna get some green taken out of their check.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

hit_it wrote: I still don't understand how it could get to that point, 1SG. Some guys would do anything to aviod a jump then run up for manifest when they know they gonna get some green taken out of their check.

FUCK THAT!!

I loved jumping. :twisted:

I woulda did nothing but fucking jump outta fuckin airplanes all day seven days a fucking week if they'd let me. 8)
RSD 96-99
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

hit_it wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:

I still don't understand how it could get to that point, 1SG. Some guys would do anything to aviod a jump then run up for manifest when they know they gonna get some green taken out of their check.

Yep ...thats the point. This ranks right up with an NCO that has no Idea when his next NCOER is due. Thats just not giving a fuck about yourself
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Funny you should mention that. I just did an NCOER for a SGT who thought he was supposed to get an Annual when he was PCSing instead of a Change of Rater.

12 year E-5, you can figure out the rest. :roll:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

hit_it wrote:Funny you should mention that. I just did an NCOER for a SGT who thought he was supposed to get an Annual when he was PCSing instead of a Change of Rater.

Obviously there is a reason he is still an E-5. :roll: Thats kind of clown will be the first to scream that his COC didnt take care of him ....
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

rgrpuck wrote:
hit_it wrote:Funny you should mention that. I just did an NCOER for a SGT who thought he was supposed to get an Annual when he was PCSing instead of a Change of Rater.

Obviously there is a reason he is still an E-5. :roll: Thats kind of clown will be the first to scream that his COC didnt take care of him ....
I wouldn't even know where to begin. Good Guy outside the job, just didn't take his professional development seriously at all. I've been on him about adding points for 2 years before he left. He didn't seem to care that he was so far behind his peers.

The funny thing was, he wanted to get into SOF. I mean he was anxious, but was not a self-starter AT ALL.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hit_it wrote:Good Guy outside the job, just didn't take his professional development seriously at all.
Here is a quote I use at work all the time "Leavenworth is full of good guys"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
hit_it wrote:Good Guy outside the job, just didn't take his professional development seriously at all.
Here is a quote I use at work all the time "Leavenworth is full of good guys"

Sage-like wisdom.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Horned Toad wrote:how about they take bldg 4 off jump status
Case of Beer for you brother, my sentiments exactly.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”