180 degree lifestyle change

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
JayD aka FNG
Embryo

180 degree lifestyle change

Post by JayD aka FNG »

Please forgive me if any of this has been answered.. I did use the search, but could not find anything close enough to satisfy. Having said that....

I want to be a Ranger.

I'm 24 years old. I am planning on joining before I turn 25 in January. I have several problems to overcome, however, and I need some advice.

1) Physical fitness. I grew up homeschooled, never learned to exercise regularly, etc. It's probably the one thing I hate about my past. I've made the commitment to exercise regularly, kicking my ass and getting into shape as best I can. However, I'm not sure I can be competitive in the time I'm looking at to join. Will basic put me in the kind of shape I need to have a good chance at becoming a Ranger, or should I consider signing a 2 year, or one of those 15 month contracts as a fighting soldier, then reenlisting to try out for Rangers?

2) Eyesite. I wear contacts for an astigmatism. I've been told I can get laser correction. Should I get this taken care of before I take the test?

3) I have really bad teeth (several broken, impacted wisdom teeth, very painful, etc). This is something that I need to get fixed ASAP, and I'm hoping I'll be able to work it out before I sign. Is this a problem, or could I sign under a delayed enlistment and get help before entering service?

I looked through the option 40 thread, and I don't see any problems with the other requirements.

If it turns out that being a Ranger is not an option, I'm going to join anyway. I want to serve the country that I love.
Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny.
airbornepog
Embryo

Post by airbornepog »

Well dude about the PT....I haven't been to RIP or Ranger School yet, but I know that when i went to basic I could do about 30 pushups, 38 situps, and ran the 2 mile in 1650. By the time I got out of AIT I could do 75 pushups, 77 situps and 1220 on the two mile......the army knows how to get you in shape dude.
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

You have doubt already, not a good sign. Wash that shit away if you want to stand a snowballs chance in hell.

Plus, are you one of those homeschooled freaks who act and talk 30 years older than everyone in your age braket? Man, some homeschooled people really annoy me :x
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Just start working out now. Advice on how to train your body is all over this site.

Search.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

First, I suggest killing your parents for homeschooling you.
Second, the description of your teeth makes me want to cry. How does this happen to people?

Seriously, though, start running right now. Hydrate, stretch, run. You really need to start running. The push ups and sit ups will come, but the running will fucking kill you right away. I think basic will build up your pu's and su's, so don't worry about that. That does not mean not do them, just focus on running. Running takes a long time to get used to and get good at. What is osut, like 17 weeks? That is not that long. It sucks when you are weak, don't be weak. Go in strong and supprise your DS's. :D Do not get LASIK before you enlist. It will DQ you. Ask SFC Hit-It. Stop wearing contacts and get used to wearing glasses. You will be wearing them in basic and every other school until you get to your unit. I would try and get the teeth problem corrected. You don't need any extra pain bothering you; you'll have enough handed to you. Again, ask SFC_Hit-It about that.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

certiorari wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and pretty much guarentee you did DICK for searching.

1) no and no.

2) no.

3) Yes, wonder what the DEP under my name stands for...
Dude you are on a fucking roll today. :lol: :lol:
It's all good.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I got a 180 degree comment!!!

.................. :shock:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

airbornepog wrote:Well dude about the PT....I haven't been to RIP or Ranger School yet, but I know that when i went to basic I could do about 30 pushups, 38 situps, and ran the 2 mile in 1650. By the time I got out of AIT I could do 75 pushups, 77 situps and 1220 on the two mile......the army knows how to get you in shape dude.
Shut the fuck up.
You don't give advice here...period.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
airbornepog wrote:Well dude about the PT....I haven't been to RIP or Ranger School yet, but I know that when i went to basic I could do about 30 pushups, 38 situps, and ran the 2 mile in 1650. By the time I got out of AIT I could do 75 pushups, 77 situps and 1220 on the two mile......the army knows how to get you in shape dude.
Shut the fuck up.
But he's got orders to the Ranger Regiment. He's an immediate authority on how to prepare. :roll:

Airborne POGUE is such an accurate name for this shitstain.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

The Army will not get you in the shape you need to be in...Dude.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
JayD aka FNG
Embryo

Post by JayD aka FNG »

Thank you very much for your comments, I'm working my ass off to get into shape now.

As for my parents... well, there's nothing I can do about it now, so I push on and deal with the shit I have to deal with. I have some grasp of what I need now, so I'll STFU and pound pavement until my time.

Again, thanks.
Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny.
airbornepog
Embryo

Post by airbornepog »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
Shut the fuck up.

I dont know how the fuck what i said qualified as advice.......i simply told him the condition I came into basic training, and how I was when i left IET.
Bell

Post by Bell »

airbornepog wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:
Shut the fuck up.

I dont know how the fuck what i said qualified as advice.......i simply told him the condition I came into basic training, and how I was when i left IET.
You had better back off you 12 post nogo. This is not a chat board. Stand down!!!

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Recruitment Process”