Looking for some leadership advice

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Sawgunner4fun,

How about an update on this lad?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

SAWgunner4fun wrote:No we haven't tried the counceling method yet. I don't think we've got much on paper either. I don't want to make excuses but our team leader is a corporal who got the board coming up so he hasn't got around to doing the negative counceling yet.

I don't know if it would be better for me to talk to him or a team leader or even our squad leader. This kid and I hate each other. I dropped out of high school to come to Batt so I've been having this problem with a few of the privates since some of them are older then me. They hate taking shit from some one a year or two younger then them.

Thanks for the advice and please keep it coming. I'm typing up some counceling for my team leader to look at right now....

You need a counseling session and a paper report, so if this kid gets way outa hand you have something to show your Chain of Command that he has been an on going concern and that you have been aware of the situation, and working on it.

When I was in 1st Platoon, I was on the average about 5 years older than every one to include my Squad Leader and Team Leader and I never had a problem with that and was smart enough to know my place and look to them for guidance,no problem.......as it should be.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

FM 22-10, Army Leadership and Counseling. In it, you will find the different types of counseling and the proper form, which is DA 4856. Another great one is the FM 7-22.7, The Army NCO Guide. Not every answer will be found in the Ranger Handbook. What you need to decide is this: Do I want him RFS'ed or keep him? To go the RFS route, you could give him tasks to complete and if he fails, DA 4856. Three is the magic number and at that point you start Article 15 proceedings or the RFS packet or both. Keep in mind, the tasks you give him should be challenging, along the lines of "it's either this or RFS/UCMJ". I don't know your whole situation, so what I'm giving is vague. An example (and I love this one), get yourself and FM 7-8 and an E-tool. Take said problem troop up to Noble Hill and explain to him that he has X-number of hours/days to make an FM 7-8 perfect mortar pit, with nothing but his E-tool. You could go anywhere with this. If he fails, DA 4856 and annotate on it that he has to complete another mortar pit (start from scratch) in X-number of hours/days or he will get another counseling statement. See what I'm getting at? Either way, the kid is going to suffer. This is just an example, but I've used it in units were there is no RFS and you have no choice but to take what you got.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
SAWgunner4fun
Ranger

Post by SAWgunner4fun »

Jim wrote:Sawgunner4fun,

How about an update on this lad?
Here it is.

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14870

After some informal counceling and a nice tough field problem he did a complete 180. I can't remember the last time anyone had to bring the smoke to him.
A-co 1/75 Oct 2002-Jul 2005
C-co 1/75 Jul 2005-Feb 2006
HHC 1/75 Feb 2006-Present
Ranger School Class 11-04

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall

-The Doors
SAWgunner4fun
Ranger

Post by SAWgunner4fun »

SAWgunner4fun wrote:I can't remember the last time anyone had to bring the smoke to him.
Hmm...that just doesn't seem right. I'm smoking his ass on Monday just to keep him on his toes. :twisted:
A-co 1/75 Oct 2002-Jul 2005
C-co 1/75 Jul 2005-Feb 2006
HHC 1/75 Feb 2006-Present
Ranger School Class 11-04

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall

-The Doors
dyks
Ranger

Re: Looking for some leadership advice

Post by dyks »

resqparamedic wrote:
rgrpuck wrote::::REPAIRED BY THE QRT:::
:lol: Quit snivleing bitch... :lol:

But bottom line Duff ........it wasnt just me that crushed you a couple of times As I remember, you had a hard time staying awake after "E-tool" Evans finished with his 0400 pt with the HQ section. :lol: and I know Goog and Devens batted you around more than once. :lol: :lol:
Hey 1SG, it wasn't so much that the 0400 pt sucked. But when we were done and had to do 0600 pt, which was the same as the 0400 pt all over again, now that sucked. 1SG evans, now there was a fruitloop; prick sent me through pre-ranger 5 freaking times, just for shits and giggles! Do you remember the MungaDie PT test? And yes, Goog and Devens both brought some. Goog wasn't bad, funny as shit, so you always had a good laugh while getting smoked. Devens though, he was funny, but I was never quite sure he wasn't going to run over and eat my heart just for GP. But neither was a bad as Melians.

Oh, and Silverback...Bite Me! :lol:
If this is the Duff I think it is how could you get smoked so much with Hughes in the squad to bring the heat like no other?
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”