My recent VA re-eval

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

fireranger
Ranger

My recent VA re-eval

Post by fireranger »

I just got a letter from the DAV giving me a heads up that the VA wants to downgrade my disability from 30 to 10 percent.

I got a letter from VA in about July 04 stating that they wanted to re-eval my 30% injury. I went to a civilian Doc and did a few tests and took some X-rays back in September.

I figured that I was G2G until I got this letter today. The DAV sent someone to represent me in the evaluation determination process, which I thought was pretty cool. The DAV said this is by no means final and they would assist me in any appeal process once the VA makes a final decision.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

Ranger Fireranger,

VA dropped me from 20% to 10% a few years ago. I brought the DAV in at that point and got back to 60%. The VA will try to drop you unless your records show that you are continously seeking treatment. Just be sure that every time you even think about your doc, make a point to mention your issue.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Towedjmpr wrote:Ranger Fireranger,

VA dropped me from 20% to 10% a few years ago. I brought the DAV in at that point and got back to 60%. The VA will try to drop you unless your records show that you are continously seeking treatment. Just be sure that every time you even think about your doc, make a point to mention your issue.
PM inbound........
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

First and foremost I am not a service officer. I am offering advice on personal experience and would recommend independent verification of any and all recommendations.

If I may...

Do not let the VA lower your rating. Fight tooth and nail. I can be very difficult to getting a rating raised once it is lowered. Be sure to follow up regularly with the VA or your physician regardign your condition. The DAV is a good start. They know the rules by which the VA plays.

Here at some notable benefits...

At a rating of 20% you will be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation. You can be eligible at 10% but the VA would have to determine a severe disability and that rarely happens at the 10% level. Voc. Rehab. is where the VA pays for the re-training.

At 30% you would get Veterans Preference for most state and federal jobs. Which means that you would recieve a 10 point bonus (out of a hundred possible) when determining who they will higher after testing and interviews.

Your rating is one of the key factors by which you are determined to be seen by a VA physician. Therefore the more a person is considered disabled the quicker he/she will be seen.

If a single item is rated for 60% or there is a combined rating of 70% and the veteran is unable to work (as determined by a physician). Then the veteran is eligible for the (I cna't remember the program off hand) but it raises the persons compensation to the 100% rate and makes them eligible for the SSDI.
Last edited by Darksaga on July 18th, 2005, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

FireRanger,

Give me a shout when you get a chance...

I've got some new information for you.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
sleeper6
Embryo

Post by sleeper6 »

IF YOU SNORE SHOOT ME AN E-MAIL IN REAGRDS TO VA BENIFITS ASAP!!!!
401st CA 99-00
BAC 00
19D 00-02
91V 02-current
(Ranger Hopeful)
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Well, guess what folks...
Just got a call from the VA office in St. Pete. I've been rated at 80%.
Looks like I'm going to possibly have some problems in remaining in the Reserves...
There's apparently some big-time implications with my being a VSI recipiant, also.
I suppose that the VA and the DoD just don't play nicely.

Damn.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Towedjmpr
Paratrooper

Post by Towedjmpr »

I couldn't get into the Reserves at 50%. Make the best of it Ranger.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

-- Dave Barry
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

B 2/75 wrote:Well, guess what folks...
Just got a call from the VA office in St. Pete. I've been rated at 80%.
Looks like I'm going to possibly have some problems in remaining in the Reserves...
There's apparently some big-time implications with my being a VSI recipiant, also.
I suppose that the VA and the DoD just don't play nicely.

Damn.
The V.A. neva plays fair. Statistics are their game. How much time you got in service Sir? You can go to 90% and still work (not speaking of military) tho as some of my friends have (being in the own businesses), but as soon as they stopped working they got their 100% quick as an enema. But don't go for the 100% unless you absolutely can't work anymore. If you start working again after getting the 100% you will lose it after working 11 months.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Steadfast, I've got 27 in for pay, 24 good for (reserve) retirement. Hell, I'm still a drilling reservist who's looking at the possibility / probability of getting the damn boot.

I'm going to wind up being a codger, sitting on the porch, cussin the govmint and not paying my taxes... :twisted:
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
D/96 CA (A)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

B 2/75 wrote:Steadfast, I've got 27 in for pay, 24 good for (reserve) retirement. Hell, I'm still a drilling reservist who's looking at the possibility / probability of getting the damn boot.

I'm going to wind up being a codger, sitting on the porch, cussin the govmint and not paying my taxes... :twisted:
And God knows you earned it Sir! Thank you for your service.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

John, if you are now rated at 80%, think strongly about saying fuck it and retiring. You can get boosted to 100%, file for SSDI, and just kick back, and take care of the kids.

And yeah: you can sit on your porch with your dog, your shot gun, and a big fat dip in, and I will be right over to join you.

:)
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

I could, but retiring is the farthest thing from my mind. Hell, I'm awaiting orders for another tour of AT at SOCOM. Gotta get in some more jumps before I die...

We'll see how it all pans out.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
D/96 CA (A)