ADVICE??

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
dogface11b
Ranger

ADVICE??

Post by dogface11b »

Hello Rangers and veterans, Im a 21 year old 11B Sergeant currently serving my second tour in Iraq.I've already learned alot on what to expect from Ranger school from the info already on your site and i was just wondering if I could get some advice on how to prepare physically and knowledge wise before i go to be successful, Im in the 3rd Infantry Division so i dont have the benefit of a PRC, so im trying to do everything i can to prepare on my own, because coming back without my tab is not an option, thanks--Dogface
[/b]
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Use the fucking search button.
This topic has been covered dozens of times.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

I told ya.
Vee wrote:Welcome, Sarnt Dogface........the search button is your friend :wink:
RSD 96-99
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Seems like I said the same thing...
Everett Ruess wrote:Welcome and thank you for serving. As the hippie said - use the search button before asking questions. Most have already been asked and answered.
:?
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
dogface11b
Ranger

sorry for not being more specific..

Post by dogface11b »

Sorry everyone for not being more specific with my question, i've searched for and found some great info on this site, but I'm deployed for the time being, and I'm kind of limited as opposed to someone stateside as to some the things I can do. Land nav for example, I'd like to brush up on my navigating skills, but I'm kind of stuck because the FOB I'm on is pretty flat with no significant terrain features. I'd also be interested in any insight from someone who's been in a Mech unit that went to Ranger school or switched to an Airborne unit to give me a little heads up. --thanks
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: sorry for not being more specific..

Post by rgrpuck »

dogface11b wrote:Sorry everyone for not being more specific with my question, i've searched for and found some great info on this site, but I'm deployed for the time being, and I'm kind of limited as opposed to someone stateside as to some the things I can do. Land nav for example, I'd like to brush up on my navigating skills, but I'm kind of stuck because the FOB I'm on is pretty flat with no significant terrain features. I'd also be interested in any insight from someone who's been in a Mech unit that went to Ranger school or switched to an Airborne unit to give me a little heads up. --thanks

Baqueba ? Nice freakin garden spot. Hit the books as far as land nav goes. It is all you can do right now. That and keep your head down.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RiserBurn
Ranger

Post by RiserBurn »

Find someone with a tab and ask him to school you on the OPORDER. Go step by step through the Ranger Handbook. Don't ask a non tabbed LT, or take too many notes from the OPORDERS you are getting there. It is a VERY specific and detailed subject in Ranger School and getting familliar with the format will only increase your abilities when you get there. Remember... DO NOT ask someone who does not have their tab. Things are done a little more in detail in Ranger School than you are probably used to.

If you don't know your knots, get someone to teach you. The 2 most important knots to learn are the "square knot with two overhands" and the "end-of-the-line-bowline". These are crucial from day one on. All the rest you will learn while you are there.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your quest. Don't quit.
1-503 INF (AASLT)
2-504 PIR
2-503 INF (ABN)
RS 11-01
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

RiserBurn wrote:Find someone with a tab and ask him to school you on the OPORDER. Go step by step through the Ranger Handbook. Don't ask a non tabbed LT, or take too many notes from the OPORDERS you are getting there. It is a VERY specific and detailed subject in Ranger School and getting familliar with the format will only increase your abilities when you get there. Remember... DO NOT ask someone who does not have their tab. Things are done a little more in detail in Ranger School than you are probably used to.

If you don't know your knots, get someone to teach you. The 2 most important knots to learn are the "square knot with two overhands" and the "end-of-the-line-bowline". These are crucial from day one on. All the rest you will learn while you are there.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your quest. Don't quit.
fuck man, I was thinkin..................when I was in nobody ever told us (or me) "what to expect" at Ranger School, the only thing I can remember anybody ever sayin to me was "you'll find out when you get there', my how times have changed.

When I got there I realized that had I known before hand it would almost be like cheatin if I had known what was comin before hand. It will test your mental, physical and the overall spirit of a man.

Course, I remember my Ranger Class RI's used to always say, if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin 8) Good luck soldier :!:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I guess Im the only one sitting here thinking I would trade my tab for a combat scroll, you have two tours in Iraq, what do you expect to learn in Ranger School
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
dogface11b
Ranger

thanks guys

Post by dogface11b »

Thanks Ranger Riser Burn, i appreciate the good advice and i'll ask my PL about those, he's been helping me out alot, he's tabbed and was formerly a Sergeant in 3/75. Also Ranger Horned Toad, i do have alot of real world experience, but i also want to be the best at what i do and as trained as i can possibly be, which is the what I've gotten from the all the Rangers I've ever had the chance to work with.Thanks again , i appreciate all the advice i can get--Dogface
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

nightfighter 6 wrote:Get your head straight BEFORE you go to RS. That is the hardest part. Focus on the course and nothing but the course and you'll do fine.
Good Luck!
Outside distractions at RS are a bitch. Stay focused, square away your buddy, and don't slack off once you get your GO.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

As a low density MOS (92 Y) that went through Ranger school, I think the biggest thing that helped me is getting familiar with my Ranger handbook. Learning the OPORD formats, duty positions and whats expected of them. Unlike you Infantry guys I don't know much about that stuff. Yeah it helped to be in the Regiment a little because I was more exposed to that kinda stuff during some of our training missions but Supply (especially HHC) doesn't always get to go out and play with the boys. If you can get your 1SG to hook you up with going to PRC that's really going to set you up for success. Also, listen to the Batt boys in school. They may be PFC's but they are the most squared away PFC's in the military. We go through a excellent PRC and it mirrors Ranger school like no other PRC. I'd suggest you do like all the other Rangers said before. Go there mentally ready. You don't need any destractions from the outside. If you have any problems, solve them before you go.
Good luck and get your tab!
Oh and "The grass is green, the sky is blue. If you ain't got it, you know what to do!!!!"
Ranger School CL# 04-05
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

To answer Horned Toad's comment. I had just over 37 months in Viet-Nam (two extended tours) when I went to Ranger School. The course was the best training I ever got. His two combat tours will be great preparation. Dogface, this is the right thing to do.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”