Police Officer's Day...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

VAK
USAF Veteran

Police Officer's Day...

Post by VAK »

As most of those on here know, I had a good run in both the Air Force and as a Police Officer finally retiring from both not too long ago. I am still very active in both communities and in that light I would be remiss if I didn't post the following in honor of those I've served with over the years and for those of my Brother's here who still serve so diligently... We often fail to recognize the service and sacrifice of our Police Officer's, Federal, State and local. Not quite getting the job that they do from day to day. Missing holidays, events with kids, working nights, weekends, fighting and at the same time having times when boredom seemingly will overwhelm them. I can remember moments where it was the best and worst job on the planet and much like those I served with while serving with the Batt's, I've had the distinct honor of knowing some of this Nation's finest on the job and there I those who will be forever missed by many... On the 13th of May, the President recognized Police Officer's with the following Proclimation and made it their day which will call for Police Officer's Memorial Day to be held on the 15th of May and Police Officer's Week to be held from the 15th through the 21st. It was done much like they serve, quietly and with little fanfare. So, to you all; God Bless and keep you as you go out and keep us all. (Not me though as I live by HR218 and a beautiful Kimber)

Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week, 2005
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

Across our Nation, the courageous men and women who protect our communities wear the uniform and badge with pride as they safeguard our families, homes, and communities. On Peace Officers Memorial Day and Police Week, we honor the memory of those heroes who have fallen in the line of duty and recognize all those who put themselves at risk in the fight against crime, violence, and terrorism.

More than 800,000 men and women serve as officers of the law in the United States. They serve in varying capacities, including as U.S. Marshals, county sheriffs, deputies, State patrolmen, municipal police, and Federal agents. They share the fundamental qualities of discipline, integrity, and courage. Since our Nation's founding, peace officers have upheld the rule of law and defended the innocent, and we are grateful to them and their families for all they do to strengthen our communities.

On Peace Officers Memorial Day, we pause to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. These brave men and women accepted the responsibilities of a noble calling and were willing to face danger for our safety. By having their names engraved into the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, D.C., and praying for their families, we honor the memory of these fallen heroes and show the respect of a grateful Nation.

During Police Week and throughout the year, I urge all Americans to support law enforcement officers in the fight against crime. Every citizen can assist his or her local police force to help make our communities safer. Successful Citizen Corps programs like Neighborhood Watch and Volunteers in Police Service are making a difference in the lives of others, one heart and one neighborhood at a time. Information about these and other volunteer programs can be obtained by visiting the Citizen Corps website at citizencorps.gov. By working together, we can continue to build a safer America.

By a joint resolution approved October 1, 1962, as amended, (76 Stat. 676), the Congress has authorized and requested the President to designate May 15 of each year as "Peace Officers Memorial Day" and the week in which it falls as "Police Week," and by Public Law 103 322, as amended, (36 U.S.C. 136), has directed that the flag be flown at half staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 15, 2005, as Peace Officers Memorial Day and May 15 through May 21, 2005, as

Police Week. I call on all Americans to observe these events with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I also call on Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day. I further encourage all Americans to display the flag at half-staff from their homes and businesses on that day.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirteenth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty ninth.

GEORGE W. BUSH
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Bell

Post by Bell »

Very good. It's about time they got some kind of recognition. Police, Firefighters, Medics do suck jobs every day and usually get nothing but shit for it.

I admire those that serve.

RLTW
Bell
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'll hoist a pint in their honor! Glad that community is finally getting a small speck of positive recognition.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

In case you havn't seen this, I found it a little while back:

A POLICE OFFICER SPEAKS

From birth you teach your children that I'm the bogeyman, then you're
shocked when they identify with my traditional enemy...the criminal!

You accuse me of coddling criminals...until I catch your kids doing wrong.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but
point me out as a loafer for having one cup.

You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my
meals with your troubles.

You raise hell with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch
you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you.

You know all the traffic laws...but you've never gotten a single ticket
you deserve.

You shout "foul" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the
roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it Police
brutality if I strike back.

You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your
doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me
pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone
else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be
bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat
for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the Patrol car, or
perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many
hours overtime looking for your lost Daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave
about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never
stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends
on me or one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me...the cop!

The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown of the Virginia
State Police. He was killed in the line of duty two months after writing
the article.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06