RIPies in OSUT

Basic & AIT
jrw2692
Embryo

RIPies in OSUT

Post by jrw2692 »

In "To Be A US Army Ranger" it says that the platoon Russ Bryant was photographing during OSUT was a platoon with recruits all with option 40's and would stay together until RIP. Does anyone know if this is still going on? Seems like a great way to build motivation leading up to RIP.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I've never even heard of that. It certainly wasn't done when I went through, although I do admit...it would be great for developing a sense of unity and comradery.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Exactly Arizona Ranger, all you think about is surviving the next hour or the next run. Back in the day when it was hard ...

I remember when I got to Batt I coudn't wait to say that. It must be a extra line in the Ranger Creed. Back when it was hard ...
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

coldnuts you cherry you werent there when it was hard hahahahaah
that is so fun to say
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Well, I went through RIP in the summer of '88...don't know if that was back far enough to count as 'hard times' or not. BUT, I became buddies with the two other Option 40 (if they even called it that then) guys in my OSUT Platoon and we stayed tight through Jump School, RIP, and all ended up in A Co 2/75. Sure, it was survival, but I still had some buddies there and they all made it. The key, I suppose, is not hanging out with the slugs. Just my .02 cents.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

We had a bunch of cohort 7th ID idiots in my basic.....and a shitload of Ranger contracts....Most dumped them in airborne school, including 2 of my good "buddies" from basic and RIP.

I remember the pool water was so warm in December of 1990 for my RIP class. Lost a shitload of non-swimmers/pussies that day.

Jim
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Bn RIP, North Ft. Lewis. 8)
jrw2692
Embryo

Post by jrw2692 »

Ranger Disinfertention...You went through RIP pretty recently, is a platoon full of option 40's still happening or was that just a one time thing in Russ Bryant's book?
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

So if you went to RIP at North FT Lewis did you still use muskets back then? I think you helped write the Standing Order too right Neves?

All the stories I heard was that it was harder back in the day at North Ft Lewis.

Ranger2
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Well, as it was the RIP farthest from the flagpole, there was far less oversight and far more 'creativity' practiced by the RIP Instructors.

I don't know how many stories you all have heard, but there used to be cargo nets that went down from the windows on the 2nd floor of old style WWII baracks. The RIPPies would have to egress out the window down the nets to form up in like 20 seconds from the word go. But the real atrocities were the odd time you had to do it while taking bbgun fire from cadre.

The nets were gone by the time I got to RIP though.

During the pre-RIP holdover period, a guy had a profile. He shows up "Here's my profile SGT"

SGT: 'Says here "No marching, No Pushups, Situps, running, standing for more than 20 minutes" doesn't say anything about not charging batteries - set your ass down there at the Angy nine and get cranking'

That poor SOB had to charge the freaking battery for about 45 minutes straight.

We SSG Hash, SGT Sprague, SFC Griggs (NCOIC) and probably 4-5 others that I will remember their names later as RIP instructors.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I remember back when it was REALLY hard......Oh!... You were talking about something else. No RIP when I was in, did go to MACV Recondo school. As far as I know it was the only US Military school with an actual combat patrol as part of the course.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yah, you can't beat that one!
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

The back when it was hard is one of the few lines I can use on coldnuts so I never miss an opportunity. Not RIP but closest I can come to Slowpoke is standing around one day as a cherry dumbass and all the senior enlisted are talking about when they went to Ranger School. Well we got the one older slightly round ALO (cannot remember his name) standing there with a Tab. So of course the most senior Tabber ( mid 80’s) asks the question " Hey Sir when did you go" The answer 1971. You should have seen the jaws drop. Seems the guy had enlisted Ranger at the tail end of Vietnam War but the Unit was already back or some such. Had did his time, got out, then later joined the airforce as on O.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “About OSUT”