Bleeder Packs

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Juan45
Embryo

Bleeder Packs

Post by Juan45 »

I have seen where medics are creating trauma packs for the soldies to carry instead of the standard dressing. Each pack is able to handle one GSW. Most that I have seen are two rolls of Kerlex, and ACE bandage and sometimes an "Asherman" or hydragel (occluded chest dressing). One roll of Kerlex is for "stuffing" in the hole (especially in the case of arterial bleeder), the other for wrapping and creating a "ball", and the ACE is for pressure. The medics have been pulling each of the items out of original package and re-packaging them in vacuum sealed bags. The vacuum sealing makes the total package very small and maintains "relative" sterility. I say relative because I really do not care if it is sterle or not....I'd like for a medic to stop the bleeding, get me to the CSH then let the surgeons worry about infection.
Swimmin' Elvises
CDQC 1-94
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The ultimate Bleeder pack would have in it:

2-3 Kerlex dressings
1 isreali dressing
1 large ace wrap
2 asherman chest seals
2 14 ga. catheter neddle sets
2 quick clots
1 Nose hose (Nasal phangeal airway)
2 tubex of morphine with the tubex syringe
2 ampules of narcan
2 prefilled IV extensions
3 18 ga. catheter needle sets
2 tegaderm dressings
some alcohol wipes

Just some of the stuff from the top of my head
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

What you need some TLC or some kind of special treatment or somethin'? :)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Doc Cook wrote:The ultimate Bleeder pack would have in it:

2-3 Kerlex dressings
1 isreali dressing
1 large ace wrap
2 asherman chest seals
2 14 ga. catheter neddle sets
2 quick clots
1 Nose hose (Nasal phangeal airway)
2 tubex of morphine with the tubex syringe
2 ampules of narcan
2 prefilled IV extensions
3 18 ga. catheter needle sets
2 tegaderm dressings
some alcohol wipes

Just some of the stuff from the top of my head
Sounds like the contents of a good interogation kit also.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

well in that case you need some gasoline, a Randall #1 fighter, some pliers, a nail lifter ( for removing infected toenails), some tourniquets, some blood and transfusion equipment to keep em' alive, some cigars and whiskey!
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

Ranger Doc Cook, have you had any personal experience with Quikclot? I read the testimonial from the PA on socnet, but I was wondering if you have had any first hand experience with it. My EMS system has taken an interest in it after seeing the pig with the transected femoral artery, and I was wondering if you have had good or bad experience with it. Many people have said it doesnt do very well unless you get the pool of blood out, or that it can cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the site.

Also, have you heard of Polyheme? It is currently being tested in my EMS system, and from what it looks like, the results are amazing. Instead of diluting the vasculature with NS, its a thinker fluid, and doesnt cause the breakdown of clots that are forming and it also has the ability of carying oxygen on RBCs so there is less tissue necrosis from lack of oxygen.

Do you think that something like Polyheme would be benificial on the battlefield?
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

See the post about the gasoline and Randall knife for "special treatment"
:) :)
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Despite what negative things have been said about Quickclot, my opinion has always been that if there is a product that has any chances of increased soldier survivablilty it should be used in lew of not having used the product at all.

It is better to use everything possible to save a soldiers life on an objective and have the BAS/CASH sort it out later than have a soldier die on the objective because you "heard someting bad" about a product and failed to use it.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

No shit -- On live tissue I saw it took at least 5 kerlex to staunch arterial bleeding.
H8 your right it is too much shit, a platoon or squad EMT could carry it perhaps.

Return to “Medical Issues”