Anyone use Exercise Balls?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Anyone use Exercise Balls?

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I was wondering if anyone uses the big exercise balls in place of a bench to do dumbbell exercises, or as a situp/roman chair thing? They look goofy, but are supposed to help build stabilizer muscles.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
GrowOrDie
Soldier

Post by GrowOrDie »

Veteran ANGRYcivilian, I've used them before for flyes and DB press. Never for bench press though, it did help me with stabilizers and core muscles (holding my big ass up in the air like that)

A good way to use them as well when you're doing curls is to put the ball on your upper back between you and a wall, then take small plates (2 1/2 suffice) and put them under your arms. When you do your movement if you get tired and start trying to use momentum, the ball will bounce on you. As well, if you lose strict control and tuck in your elbows the plates will fall out.
Breachman/Gunner
Bandit Comany
TF 4/64
3ID- Currently deployed to OIF 5 07-09
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thanks for the info, GroworDie.

RangerMom,

I know. I had to refrain also.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I bought one of the balls yesterday. It is difficult to use at first. Just trying to do pushups on it is a bitch. I thought, 'this should be simple, since my feet are lower than my hands; just like pushing against a wall'. It's fucking hard. I'm so off-balance that I could barely do anything.

I think this goofy ball is a good idea. I'll post more once I've applied it to an exercise routine.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Go to www.coreperformance.com for some good info on stability balls.
They have info on the different types of exercises you can do. I just got a 65 cm ball and I am following the core performance workout - it works muscles that you never knew you had.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I bought one of the balls yesterday. It is difficult to use at first. Just trying to do pushups on it is a bitch. I thought, 'this should be simple, since my feet are lower than my hands; just like pushing against a wall'. It's fucking hard. I'm so off-balance that I could barely do anything.

I think this goofy ball is a good idea. I'll post more once I've applied it to an exercise routine.
I've been there. My arms were too busy maintaining balance. I couldn't even keep my back straight trying to compensate for the wobble.

The funny thing is, I found it a lot easier to elevate my legs on the ball.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

SFOC Class 77-94
Tm Ldr, SF Tm 1302 95-96
CO, 12th SF Co. SFR(A) SOCOM PA 97-99
CO, 66th Infantry Battalion 10th Infantry Divison, Philippine Army (current)
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

Desert Sloth wrote:I try to exercise my balls on a regular basis..... :wink:
I am surprised it took this many replys for someone to say that.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Ranger Fireranger,

I registered with CorePerformance for my one week of free access. It looks pretty good. Thanks for the info.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Desert Sloth wrote:
fireranger wrote:
Desert Sloth wrote:I try to exercise my balls on a regular basis..... :wink:
I am surprised it took this many replys for someone to say that.
It seems like this has turned into a "Family" oriented/friendly place :roll: Someone has to step up to remind us where we came from....sheesh!

psst your wife is calling better run along home now :shock:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

I use them to strech by back.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)