Most Memorable Novel You've Ever Read?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I'll have to plug J.R.R. Tolkien's works as well, I don't know how many times I've read them. I also read pretty much every book on Conan, all of Frank Herbert's stuff, Orson Scott Card, Jerry Pournelle, Larry Niven, David Drake, and of course Robert Heinlein. Team Yankee and The Ten Thousand by Harold Coyle are also excellent books.

I'll add one that I haven't seen mentioned, and that is "Killer Angels".
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Trapping North American Furbearers by Stanley Hawbaker

The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Unintended Consequences by John Ross.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Under the Bleechers by Seymour Hiney

Yellow River by I.P. Freely

Over Population by Weifuk M. Jung
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Scuba Wino wrote:The Bible. Cover to cover in 1993. Took two years.
Actually 1993 was only a year long Scuba Wino, but I know you're trying so I won't bust your balls too much. :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

cams wrote:
Actually 1993 was only a year long Scuba Wino, but I know you're trying so I won't bust your balls too much. :wink: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like he read the book himself??? He probably hired some illegals to read it for him.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Silverback wrote:
cams wrote:
Like he read the book himself??? He probably hired some illegals to read it for him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jolee Vival
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

This is probably not the most memorable book, but I am currently reading it, and I think it's excellent;

Infidel, by Ayann Hirsi Ali
In this profoundly affecting memoir from the internationally renowned author of The Caged Virgin, Ayaan Hirsi Ali tells her astonishing life story, from her traditional Muslim childhood in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya, to her intellectual awakening and activism in the Netherlands, and her current life under armed guard in the West.One of today's most admired and controversial political figures, Ayaan Hirsi Ali burst into international headlines following an Islamist's murder of her colleague, Theo van Gogh, with whom she made the movie Submission.Infidel is the eagerly awaited story of the coming of age of this elegant, distinguished -- and sometimes reviled -- political superstar and champion of free speech. With a gimlet eye and measured, often ironic, voice, Hirsi Ali recounts the evolution of her beliefs, her ironclad will, and her extraordinary resolve to fight injustice done in the name of religion. Raised in a strict Muslim family and extended clan, Hirsi Ali survived civil war, female mutilation, brutal beatings, adolescence as a devout believer during the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood, and life in four troubled, unstable countries largely ruled by despots.... As Western governments struggle to balance democratic ideals with religious pressures, no story could be timelier or more significant.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Any of the Tolkien books that are on the market were devoured by me as a kid. I also took an early interest in the Ed McBain novel's about an NYPD Detective. From there, it was across the board, but mainly the fascination was with war, especially Vietnam and the cold war.

While I was in, I found "Ghost Soldiers", "SOG" and "Bravo Two-Zero" to be the most motivating books. Hell, I'm with Bones on the reading thing, as I could go on for hours about good books I've read!

The most outstanding book I've read this year has to be "The Devil's Guard". I feel that it is almost a lesson's learned book on how to deal with the savages here.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Julieanne wrote:This is probably not the most memorable book, but I am currently reading it, and I think it's excellent;

A really excellent book you should read is:

"Stolen lives - 20 years in a desert prison" by Malika Oufkir and Michelle Fitoussi.

I was very moved by the book after I was done reading it. Handed it to a few other guys on my team and everyone thought highly of it.

It's a true story of a young girl, who grows up by the side of the King of Morrocco, who's father attempts to overthrow the Royal family and documents their subsequent personal hell, which they experience for his betrayal.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Julieanne wrote:This is probably not the most memorable book, but I am currently reading it, and I think it's excellent;

In this profoundly affecting memoir from the internationally renowned author of The Caged Virgin, Ayaan Hirsi Ali tells her astonishing life story, from her traditional Muslim childhood in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya, to her intellectual awakening and activism in the Netherlands, and her current life under armed guard in the West.One of today's most admired and controversial political figures, Ayaan Hirsi Ali burst into international headlines following an Islamist's murder of her colleague, Theo van Gogh, with whom she made the movie Submission.Infidel is the eagerly awaited story of the coming of age of this elegant, distinguished -- and sometimes reviled -- political superstar and champion of free speech. With a gimlet eye and measured, often ironic, voice, Hirsi Ali recounts the evolution of her beliefs, her ironclad will, and her extraordinary resolve to fight injustice done in the name of religion. Raised in a strict Muslim family and extended clan, Hirsi Ali survived civil war, female mutilation, brutal beatings, adolescence as a devout believer during the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood, and life in four troubled, unstable countries largely ruled by despots.... As Western governments struggle to balance democratic ideals with religious pressures, no story could be timelier or more significant.
Have you seen the movie "Osama", Julieanne?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein

Return to “The Mosh Pit”