Fourth of July - Who's doing what?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Enjoying seven days off sitting on a lake in Harrison, Michigan.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Kwith
Tadpole

Post by Kwith »

My 4th of July kicked ass. I did all the tourist stuff... which is a tradition for me here. I walked over to the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's house, Betsy Ross' house, Carpenter's Hall, (all the countless historic sites here in Philly) and Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was written. I love standing in that room where so many meetings of our founding fathers took place. You can almost imagine what it was like in that room in 1776, like you can visualize it taking place around you.

Then I went back down to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, where Live 8 was held here in Philly, and they had 4th of July festivities going on. There was a parade with a bunch of bands, and high schools from as far as Nebraska. Miss Pennsylvania and Miss New Jersey came by on floats, and then there were the branches of the military. The Army was the last one to go by, and they were in a huge convoy pulling a big ass gun behind them. All of the men and women in our military got a heart-felt, well deserved, standing round of applause from the thousands upon thousands of us standing on the sides of the Parkway.

Then there was the concert. Several performances and Wayne Brady made a guest appearance. The two main performers were Patty Labelle and Elton John. At about 11:00pm Elton John sang the last song of the night (Philadelphia Freedom). Then the fireworks started.

I'd say it was the best fireworks display I had ever seen. Great big fireworks exploding overhead, from the steps of the Art Museum (the steps Rocky runs up in the movies :lol: ). As the show took place the numerous speakers lined down the Parkway played almost every patriotic song you can think of, and everyone stood together enjoying the show.

Hope you all had a fun & safe 4th of July.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Slowpoke wrote:Tell Kenni to get his ass to the Rendezvous as soon as he's done with you!
Message delivered for you Brother... And it's a done deal.

Kwith, you talk too much. Shit, I cannot believe I had to read all of that shit.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I finished putting in 268 linear feet of 6' cedar privacy fence this weekend and today just hung out with my boys while the spouse was working, and this evening washed down a tasty burger with some cold ones, and spent the evening setting off fireworks in the driveway.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”