Introducing Myself

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

goon175
Ranger

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by goon175 »

I advised him that Regiment recruits the majority of there 68W's out of AIT, and that if he cannot grab an opt. 40 within a few months, that he should just take the 68W as they usually close out the first half of the fiscal year.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Sounds like he still has some time then. I always thought getting it in your contract was key, but I was mistaken when it comes to medics. My bad!!!
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Haha, and go figure I check what jobs are out there today, and for the first time since I have been recruiting I see 68W opt. 40. Only 3 of them and they are already gone, I just figured it was coincidental after typing the above.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

Ranger goon175,

I'm glad to see there are some 68W Option 40 contracts floating around out there. Now, how often are jobs updated? Is that a monthly thing? And I'm assuming that they aren't always the same thing but are based on the needs of the Army at the present time.

Also, I went to my recruiter's PT session last night. It was a lot of fun, and I was keeping up no problem. They told me to get a move on with the ASVABs. Both the Sergeants seem really eager to get me my Option 40 contract. I told them I wanted to take my time and be sure to study up on the electrical and shop sections. They are my weakest and I want to make them stronger. I should be taking within the next few weeks though.

Thanks again,

Eric
‎"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents; What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." - Winston Churchill
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Jobs are added daily, if not more, and it is a real-time system, so they dissapear as jobs are reserved for people. It is all based on the needs of the army. If there is a rhyme or rhythm to it, I haven't figure it out.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

Ranger ZoneIV,

I timed myself on pushups and did 82. I didn't try for situps, but I do core a lot so I think I'll be fine there. I timed myself on a 4 mile run at 29 minutes. Hopefully I can get 14:00 for a 2 mile. I don't mean to say it was easy; I still pushed myself hard and got a good workout. We did some combat training too, so I guess that's where the fun part came in.They're doing an official PT test this coming Wednesday, so I'll let you know how my scores are.

Eric
‎"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents; What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." - Winston Churchill
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

Ranger ZoneIV,

I just got back from the recruiting station for the weekly workout. We did PT testing today. Instead of doing the 2min/2min/2mile we did 1min/1min/1mile. I recorded 72 pushups, 42 situps, and a 6 minute 11 second mile. I'll have to work on the situps, I guess I'm just not used to doing them that way.

Also, this is a general question to anyone who has enlisted. What is "doing MEPS in one shot" mean? I was talking to the recruiter about taking the ASVABs and he said that instead of doing the "really boring two day trip" that he thinks I should do it all in one shot. I'm not even sure what the whole trip entails. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks very much!

Eric
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

haha wow. I love how he made it sound like he would be doing you a favor. Two trips is better than one, unless he reserves you the job you want ahead of time. In that case, its fine.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
ArmyFIST03
US Army

Post by ArmyFIST03 »

elutz22 wrote:Ranger ZoneIV,

I just got back from the recruiting station for the weekly workout. We did PT testing today. Instead of doing the 2min/2min/2mile we did 1min/1min/1mile. I recorded 72 pushups, 42 situps, and a 6 minute 11 second mile. I'll have to work on the situps, I guess I'm just not used to doing them that way.

Also, this is a general question to anyone who has enlisted. What is "doing MEPS in one shot" mean? I was talking to the recruiter about taking the ASVABs and he said that instead of doing the "really boring two day trip" that he thinks I should do it all in one shot. I'm not even sure what the whole trip entails. Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks very much!

Eric

If you did the 1/1/1 your numbers look fine... That's if they are with correct form, which I would be skeptic on because knocking out 72 pushups in 1 minute with CORRECT form is not an EASY feat...not saying it can be done and maybe you did, just know that your numbers are gonna drop when you get graded by a DS I can almost promise you that. As for the whole MEPS in one shot deal, I think what he is trying to say is that you just go into MEPS take the ASVAB, physical and all the bull shit in one day... But from what It appears like in your recent posts.. I would take the two day trip. Take the ASVAB one day, go back to the hotel that least you have a full day to think about how you did on the ASVAB and what YOU really want for yourself, because it is ultimately YOUR decision, not your fathers. From my experience I know a lot of Officers who had the opportunity to go to Ranger school and failed, and most of the time it was from the "peer evaluations" is why they didn't make the cut, they were officers who went straight from ROTC or had the OCS contract going in, they never once had the experience of the enlisted side which ultimately led to failure because, what enlisted man wants to listen to a Butter bar that has no idea how to be a soldier or lead men? But I have come across some good men that went straight officer and made it, its all about hardwork and never quitting, and when good luck meets opportunity. Best of luck in your journey.
Sine Pari

101st Division STB 07 "Strength of the Eagle"
HHC 41st

Return to “Introduction Archive”