Military Books

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Military Books

Post by rgrokelley »

Lefty wrote:On the Revolutionary War, I must put in a plug for two of Kenneth Roberts (author of Northwest Passage) classics:

Rabble In Arms - describes the campaign from the rebel side and has the expected slant.

Oliver Wiswell - told in first person from the colonial Loyalist point of view. It gives one an entirely different perspective on the issues and can make the reader empathetic to the Loyalists.
Roberts did a whole series with the same characters in Rabble in Arms. Arundel is another one. Basically it is a bunch of soldiers with ARnold, before Arnold turned traitor. They are pretty good. Most of the really good Rev War novels were written decades ago. I don't know of any current ones that are as good.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
chuck976
Tadpole

Post by chuck976 »

Rangers I purchased 3 of the books you all suggested off Amazon yesterday; Of Their Own Accord, We Were Soldiers Once...and Young, and Military Fitness: A Manual Of Special Physical Training. I cannot wait to read them all, especially Of Their Own Accord, knowing that a Ranger on this site wrote it.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

DEP: Shipdate 20100727

Ranger Bill's mentee
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I've been reading Dalton Fury's book: "Kill Bin Laden". I believe the author is a member here, but this just showed up on the shelves at my local Barnes & Noble. Not too bad a read so far.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

Why not have Books as a seperate sub-board or a sticky thread?
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....
MichRanger
Ranger

Post by MichRanger »

DISPATCHES by Michael Herr. My all time favorite book on war.
Aco 1/75 weapons platoon FDC (1980-83)
HHC 1/75 S-3 shop (last year in Batt)
Ranger Class 3-81
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

rgrokelley wrote:
Lefty wrote:On the Revolutionary War, I must put in a plug for two of Kenneth Roberts (author of Northwest Passage) classics:

Rabble In Arms - describes the campaign from the rebel side and has the expected slant.

Oliver Wiswell - told in first person from the colonial Loyalist point of view. It gives one an entirely different perspective on the issues and can make the reader empathetic to the Loyalists.
Roberts did a whole series with the same characters in Rabble in Arms. Arundel is another one. Basically it is a bunch of soldiers with ARnold, before Arnold turned traitor. They are pretty good. Most of the really good Rev War novels were written decades ago. I don't know of any current ones that are as good.

You didn't like Shaara's take on it, or Bernard Cornwell's?

Haven't read Cornwell's (on the Revolution anyway) but I rather liked Shaara's...
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Invictus wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:

You didn't like Shaara's take on it, or Bernard Cornwell's?

Haven't read Cornwell's (on the Revolution anyway) but I rather liked Shaara's...
Nah, too many inaccuracies. For example, Cornwell has the British goose stepping through Philadelphia with their boots on. Brits didn't have boots. I know its a minor thing, but if you know history, it bugs you. It would be like Rangers at Pointe du Hoc using M14s.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

MichRanger wrote:DISPATCHES by Michael Herr. My all time favorite book on war.
Highly overrated IMHO
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”