Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rgrpuck wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:13ust1,
Tell me why you had all the Black Hawk Down shit on your initial intro.
This is gonna leave a mark...

Or at least mental scaring
I'd like to hear his response as well. Should be at the least, entertaining.

13ust1, answer the fucking question.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Since the odds are that you will end up in "just a regular Army ground unit," I hope you enjoy just having a regular career.

Sincerely,

PK.

Just a regular guy.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Copperhead
Tadpole

Review

Post by Copperhead »

Ranger and Veterans,

My evaluation of 13ust1 is a NOGO.
Old Grunt wrote:Mission:

You are to submit a 500-word report on why you want to be an Airborne Ranger and how you plan to achieve that goal... Particular emphasis should be placed on spelling, punctuation, correct composition and grammar.

Objective:
To write a cogent, thoughtful and grammatically correct post.
He failed to meet Veteran Old Grunt's three simple tasks; writing a cogent, thoughtful and grammatically correct post. As Veteran Old Grunt has already identified a plethora of mistakes in his post, pointing out any of the numerous other mistakes is not needed.

My evaluation of a NOGO is due to several factors.
1). After his botched introduction, Veteran Old Grunt gave 13ust1 a chance to rectify himself. Instead of utilizing this opputunity to rebuild his name, the task was executed with no precision. The GO/NOGO Parameters could have easily been met by having a parent, teacher, or friend review his assignment (which he had ample time to do). If he was not motivated enough to do that, a simple Google search would have given him several sites with grammar checks (Veteran Old Grunt made this known to him as well) that would have eliminated many of his errors.

2). While I do not know him personally, 13ust1's lack of attention to detail exhibited in misspellings like "mil" (mile) and "swill" (will) undoubtedly show he did not even proofread his post once. This makes me question the amount of attention to detail he would exhibit during a live fire drill...
Old Grunt wrote:GO/NOGO Parameters:

1. More than three errors in total will constitute a failure of your objective, so use spell check, and any available resources you may find on-line, of which there are more than enough if you are diligent and persistent.
I realize this is a far stricter standard than you are accustomed to, but you are aspiring to a profession with much higher standards, so get used to it..
3). He was aware that he could make a maximum of three errors (however, one would expect an opt. 40 DEP to strive for zero). However, as already mentioned, he apparently did not even proofread.
13ust1 wrote:I want to be an Airborne Army ranger because I want to be infantry but did not want to be just a regular Army ground unit; I wanted to be one of the Army’s finest. Before I signed up for the Army, I was thinking of whether I wanted to be a Marine or in the Army as Delta Force, Special Forces, or Ranger, then I started talking to a friend that was in the Army and he told me that Marines sign open contracts. And I did not want to be told what I was going to be, I rather chose what I want to be...

Disregarding the grammar, his introductory paragraph gave me a sour impression. His disrespect for Army Infantrymen is distateful.

Also another reason is because most of my family served in the Army. My dad was in the Army when I was a little kid. I got most of his stuff from the military that he had gotten. My grandpa was in the Army as a combat medic during Vietnam, I also got his some of his stuff that he had gotten as well.

I feel this thought had potential, had it been established correctly. Apparently his family has a history of military service, which can be a commendable reason to serve.

One thing I am doing to prepare for the Army is running in the mornings at around six in the morning. Since I have recently started doing this my friend and me run about two and a half miles every morning. After we get used to it we swill go further and further every time we run, but most off the time because I am in school I only get an hour to run on the weekdays, also on the days... not running we are lifting weights... We are trying to get up earlier so we can add more. We are going to start doing more since we are going to do that earlier then when we start running.

It was difficult to stumble through this paragraph. 13ust1's communication skills are severely lacking. However, I feel with determination one can overcome such a roadblock. It seems he has no motivation to do so.

Last thing I am doing to prepare for the Army is, I go up to the recruiters building to do drills every Thursday afternoon for one hour up to two or three hours. For the first few minutes that we Future Soldiers are there for us sometimes run just about half of a mil. Then after that we do; push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, and other stuff that you do in Basic. Then when we are almost done we drill on orders and commands, learn about ranks squads and formations.

I still do not see where he addresses how he plans to achieve his goal of becoming a Ranger. While mentioning a PT program and some drilling is great, I feel he did not dive into how he would prepare for RIP. Perhaps he has not begun memorizing and trying to live out the Ranger Creed, studying Ranger history, etc. but I feel he overlooked one of the main purposes of the assignment.

Basically that is the sum of why I joined the Army. Out of all the jobs I could of chosen from, I chose Ranger. I choose this because it is one of the finest of the Army and I wanted to be part of it.

The task was not why he joined the Army, rather why he aims to be an Army Ranger and his preparation for it. Overlooking the objective during a mission, I assume, would be a catastrophe. While I have no firsthand experience, logic assumes this could easily result in the loss of life
In summary, the assignment did not meet any of the basic requirements set forth by Veteran Old Grunt. The subject matter was also not on topic. Beyond that, he was a minute late in turning it in. My NOGO assessment is a reflection of this.

My suggestion is to let 13ust1 redo the assignment, but with the expection of it being perfect. While he has already struck out and exhibited his laziness, I feel perhaps one more chance will completely reveal his character. Even if he craps out yet again, he would benefit from the Rangers' wisdom (presumably, whether in a Ranger Battalion or not, he will be serving as an Infantryman). However, if the other DEPs feel he does not deserve another chance, it would be a legitimate position.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Northstar
Embryo

Post by Northstar »

Veteran Old Grunt and Rangers,

After reading through 13ust1's assignment, my evaluation is that he is a NOGO.

Instead of repeating the mistakes found by Copperhead and Veteran Old Grunt, I will just make a few remarks.

1. While you did say why you wanted to be a Ranger and what you are doing to prepare, it was very, very basic. Also, it took you two tries just to get to this point.

2. The grammar in your assignment is terrible and riddled with lazy spelling errors. Even in the very first line, "I want to be an Army Airborne ranger because I want to be infantry but did not want to be just a regular Army ground unit; I wanted to be one of the Army's finest." Did should be do, to agree with want. Also, wanted should be want, because wanted is past tense, and I assume you still want to be a ranger. That is already two errors. You were only allowed three errors and you are way over. Attention to detail.

3. This last negative is what got me the most. You said "I wanted to be one of the Army's finest." You want to be the best but cannot properly complete an assignment. Rangers are held to a very high standard and what you turned in is very poor work. It may fly elsewhere, but not here. You can say you want to be one of the Army's finest, but actions speak louder than words.

However; I do agree with Copperhead on a redo, but it must be perfect.

-Northstar
Shipdate: 20080624

Ranger Lefty's mentee
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

Ranger's and Veteran's,

I too evaluated 13ust1's reponse and I'm not going to repeat what has already been said. I vote a NOGO as well, but you're definately on the right track. You did well, but there were quite a few errors as Copperhead and Northster pointed out. I vote for a re-do because I can see that you're improving and I'm confident that your next submission will be up to par.

And please, answer Ranger Bravo57's question.
-DRM
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

DRM wrote:Northstar
[/b]
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

DRM wrote:And please, answer Ranger Bravo57's question.
-DRM
No please about it.

Let me guess.................

You beat the game or some bullshit. It was a "kewl" movie.

Mickey is ticking....

Your answer will tell me everything I need to know about you.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Northstar wrote:
2. The grammar in your assignment is terrible and riddled with lazy spelling errors. Even in the very first line, "I want to be an Army Airborne ranger because I want to be infantry but did not want to be just a regular Army ground unit; I wanted to be one of the Army's finest." Did should be do, to agree with want. Also, wanted should be want, because wanted is past tense, and I assume you still want to be a Ranger. That is already two errors. You were only allowed three errors and you are way over. Attention to detail.
Check your shit before posting.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Northstar
Embryo

Post by Northstar »

Ranger Bravo57,

Roger that, no excuse. Pushing them out.

-Northstar
Shipdate: 20080624

Ranger Lefty's mentee
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

DRM - check PMs.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Northstar wrote:Ranger Bravo57,

Roger that, no excuse. Pushing them out.

-Northstar

SO why havent you answered his question ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
13ust1
Embryo

Post by 13ust1 »

Bravo57 wrote:13ust1,
Tell me why you had all the Black Hawk Down shit on your initial intro.
Why i had the Black Hawk Down stuff in my initial intro, is because that is one of my favorite movies, I have never played the game, therefore i have never beaten the game.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Brace yourself
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Introduction Archive”