Most Memorable Novel You've Ever Read?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Old Grunt wrote:I have little doubt he was one hardcore MF.
The NVA hardcore? Get oughta here. When the Chinese Red Army invaded North Vietnam in the late 70's, they lost 50,000 KIA in less than 3 weeks. Add the wounded, and 11 Chinese Red Army infantry divisions were decimated in less than one month. NVA losses were negligible. The Chinese limped back across the border and never considered invasion again. It was one of he most lopsided military defeats in history.

BTW I didn't kill the Dien Bien Phu vet. Apparently he was a doctor. We went into an NVA underground hospital complex inside Laos about 15 minutes after the B-52s hit it. This NVA lieutenant colonel was one of the KIA. I took his diary too, and later had one of the Kit Carson Scouts read me several passages. He had a wife named "Jade" and a 12 year-old daughter. He had peace doves sketched on the front and back covers. He hated the war. I cried listening to the hour-long translation. Only one of two times I cried in Vietnam. I gave that diary away to one of the other Rangers who'd been on the BDA. I wish now that I'd kept it.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

hobbit wrote:
I appropriated this from an NVA lieutenant colonel who no longer had any need of it. It is the campaign badge for communist veterans of Dien Bien Phu. Shown here about twice actual size:

I had a relative that got killed there/then with the French Foreign Legion.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Chiron wrote: I had a relative that got killed there/then with the French Foreign Legion.
How big a family you got :shock:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

I also grew up reading a lot so it's hard for me to say there is only one book that impacts me like no other.

Wade - right on!! For all the crap I get for living in Utah, there is a reason I returned here after ETSing (I didn't have a house or a job). I grew up hiking/packing through the deserts of southern Utah. I've been a fan of Ed Abbey for many, many years. God's country as he puts it is my stomping grounds. Fans of Ed Abbey should be familiar with my profile's namesake as Everett gets mentioned in various Abbey works. I can remember when Moab was a dead, Uranium mining ghost town. But I digress...

Anything by Rudyard Kipling, particularly his military stuff. It's interesting to note, however, how his writing changed after the death of his son.

The world according to Garp. For some reason it just struck a chord with me as a child. Look for the bear in all of Irving's works.

And of course The Lord of the Rings. Can't count how many times I've read them.

I could keep going, but I'm already boring Ranger Silverback! :D
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

Anything Robert Heinlein ever wrote. Starship Troopers was my intro to him. The same with Louis L'amour. Not as far sighted as Heinlein, but entertaining. It's been a while, but there was a series of Sci-fi books about a counter Earth called Gor. Can't remember the authors name, but it was a good series.

The Forever War is an excellant read.

Right now, I'm more into reading the history of the War of Secession, including the memoirs of the majr players. I've read Grant, Sherman, Longstreet, and Jeff Davis' memoirs. I've also read biographies on JEB Stuart, Jackson, and Lincoln. Shelby Footes Trilogy on the War as well as Catton's trilogy on the Army of the Potomac.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
DirtyM
Ranger

Post by DirtyM »

As a kid: The Phantom Tollbooth

Teenager: The 13th Valley, Lords of Discipline, and A Sense of Honor
RS Class 7-92
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

The entire Lord of the Rings triology, including the Hobbit, Silmarilion and other post-Lord of the Rings books.

In addition, I really enjoyed the Hitchikers Guide the Galaxy collection. :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Tater Nuts wrote:J.R.R.'s son is supposed to be releaseing his fathers final book this year, the son has been working to complete it for the last 30 years or so.
So I've heard/read.

Some other good reads have included:

John D. Eisenhower's "The Bitter Woods",
Rick Atkinson's "An Army at Dawn" (it's a bit slow to start out) and
finally, Eisenhower (Sr., that is): "Crusade in Europe"

All excellent reads.

I prefer the history-oriented books, but JRR and others are nice deviations.
US Army 1986 - 1994
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

Old Grunt wrote:A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter Miller
Great book!
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

When I was a kid, I really liked Fred Saberhagen's Sword series.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:When I was a kid, I really liked Fred Saberhagen's Sword series.
That brings back memories..

I used to enjoy the TSR Dungeon's and Dragon's series as well..
US Army 1986 - 1994
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Another good book I read is "Eaters of the Dead", they ended up making a movie (13th Warrior) about it.

I thought the book captures the essence of Warrior Brotherhood very well.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”