Intro-Phil

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro-Phil

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote: however college is definitely something that I'd like to do at some point. To me, enlisting as soon as possible and completing college while in battalion sounds like a great plan.
Given the Operational Tempo of the Ranger Battalions, your chances of going to college while in a unit is unlikely.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

GreySpe95 wrote:Roger that Ranger The Sleepy Doc! As of now, promotions don't seem that important to me, the Army could pay me in pebbles and I'd be happy, however college is definitely something that I'd like to do at some point. To me, enlisting as soon as possible and completing college while in battalion sounds like a great plan, however I will definitely consider college first, if you believe that to be a better plan.
Thank you for you advice and welcome!
Ahh, Grasshopper.. It is not what I feel is the best plan, it is what you think is the best plan. You, and you alone must make that decision. I'me merely pointing out something you may not have considered yet. Either or will get you to your stated goal. I'm not saying you won't be able to do college classes while in Batt, especially with all of the online distance learning that is available now. Shit, you can take classes from MIT and Harvard online that will count towards a degree nowdays. What I'm trying to say is that while in Battalion your first job will be to learn everything you can about how to kill bad guys. Your second job is to become the best you can at your MOS, whether you are a cook, medic, radio repairman.. whatever. If the first two take all of your time, there is precious little time for anything else.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how it would be with the modern operations tempo. I'm basing it on what I saw almost 15 years ago during peacetime. I'm sure one of the youngsters around her could better answer that. There are members of this site that started right where you are now, made it to Batt, did multiple deployments, and have since ETS'd. Look around. Do some searching. I'm pretty sure that question has been addressed somewhere. Good luck with it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Perhaps you are confusing the two. To reiterate Jim's post, you won't have time to physically go to a college classroom setting, even part time. Distance learning is available, but it would take a ridiculously long amount of time to complete a traditional college degree while in Batt. If you want to go to college, go to college. If you want to be a Ranger, do that. At this point, you have plenty of time to do both.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Thank you for your counsel Ranger Jim and Ranger The Sleepy Doc. When it comes down to it, my dream is to be a Ranger, not to go to college. If I get the chance to go to college after my goal of making it to the 75th is realized, I will take it if it doesn't interfere. I will definitely look further into the options for online classes, if I'm able to get some credits completed while I'm serving I will, however I do of course realize that there are other priorities, especially in a high speed group like the Rangers. Thank you for this alternative perspective Ranger The Sleepy Doc, I greatly appreciate any words of advice from a Ranger
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote:Thank you for your counsel Ranger Jim and Ranger The Sleepy Doc. When it comes down to it, my dream is to be a Ranger, not to go to college. If I get the chance to go to college after my goal of making it to the 75th is realized, I will take it if it doesn't interfere. I will definitely look further into the options for online classes, if I'm able to get some credits completed while I'm serving I will, however I do of course realize that there are other priorities, especially in a high speed group like the Rangers. Thank you for this alternative perspective Ranger The Sleepy Doc, I greatly appreciate any words of advice from a Ranger
When you serve in the Army, you will get college credits. As an example, I went to Methodist College in Fayetteville, NC. BTW, I am a member of the Alumni BOD. They gave me credit for going to the Vietnmese language school and serving as an advisor. While I was in Viet-Nam, I took end of course tests for the basic undergraduate junk courses. I spent a semester and a summer at Methodist. It can be done.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Roger that Ranger Jim. I'll do more research on the topic and find out what all my options are. Thank you for the info Ranger Jim
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote:Roger that Ranger Jim. I'll do more research on the topic and find out what all my options are. Thank you for the info Ranger Jim
With experience, you discover options exist for almost anything you want to accomplish.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Good afternoon gentleman! Sit Rep here.

Fast forward past graduation, I was offered a spot to wrestle Greco-Roman at an Olympic Education Center at Northern Michigan University.
I decided that wrestling at such a high level would not only give me great conditioning, an almost free education, but also some hand-to-hand combat experience, so I accepted the spot and am now in my 4th week in the program.
As of now, my plan is to enlist after I graduate with an Opt.40 contract, however I know that when trying to get contracts that require certain security clearances, debt can prevent one from being eligible, so my question is this; after I graduate I will have a good amount of debt in student loans, however, since this debt is "healthy", will it prevent me from securing an Opt.40 contract?
Thank you for your time and service men! Have a good day
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thank you for letting us know what your decision was. You know where to find us. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Good afternoon everyone, quick PT sitrep here.

Pushups: 81
Situps: 66
Pullups: 9
2 Mile Run: Not Completed.

My IT band is causing some bad knee pain, I was advised to rest it until it's 100%, hopefully I'll be running again soon. I'm able to ruck, so I have been doing that instead of running.

Thank you,
GreySpe95
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote: My IT band is causing some bad knee pain, I was advised to rest it until it's 100%, hopefully I'll be running again soon. I'm able to ruck, so I have been doing that instead of running.
Did your MD give you permission to ruck? Ensure you heal fully. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Ranger Jim, my athletic trainer said to avoid any activities that cause pain and everything else is ok. I'm able to ruck without pain unless I jog too fast, so I think that I'm alright. I also reduced the weight in my pack from 45lbs to 30lbs, so that took some strain off my knee as well.
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

GreySpe95 wrote:Ranger Jim, my athletic trainer said to avoid any activities that cause pain and everything else is ok. I'm able to ruck without pain unless I jog too fast, so I think that I'm alright. I also reduced the weight in my pack from 45lbs to 30lbs, so that took some strain off my knee as well.
Take it easy and completely heal. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Post by GreySpe95 »

Roger that Ranger Jim, will do!
B Co 3/75