Former Sheriff Jailed For Assault

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

smokn38
Paratrooper

Re: Former Sheriff Jailed For Assault

Post by smokn38 »

Silverback wrote:
smokn38 wrote:There is a time and a place for an ass whoopin. This obviously was neither.
Because he got caught?
Nope. Because he was in cuffs and in the back of the car. It's over. You want to beat the shit out of a vehicle I don't own, bust the windows and act a fool get busy. I for one enjoy having the recorder running. Has yet to bite me in the ass and cleared me quickly a number of times. You want to fight with the police you run the risk of getting your ass beat until the cuffs go on.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

smokn38 wrote: I for one enjoy having the recorder running. Has yet to bite me in the ass and cleared me quickly a number of times.

X2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Bottom line is this .................. you put your hands on one for any reason other than to affect an arrest in a controlling manner or to revent them from harming themselves or others, you have no business on the street, PERIOD! It's business, its NOT personal. I have been spit on, kicked in the face, called everything but the child of God and I have never put my hands on one in an inappropriate manner. I have seen it. And I have let the officer(s) involved know point of fact "you better hope IA don't ask me about it". Only thing I hate worse than street scum is a dirty officer who thinks he's above the law. My .02.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

IEDmagnet wrote:
smokn38 wrote: I for one enjoy having the recorder running. Has yet to bite me in the ass and cleared me quickly a number of times.

X2
Yep! Best thing that ever happened to a street cop!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

and it makes great TV
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Yes it does Ranger Silverback. Yes it does.

That damn camera, as I've heard it called so many times, has been the only thing keeping me from a lawsuit or losing my job on more than one occasion. Prior to it, if a complaint came in (which it inevitably will) the department would have to launch an investigation and it was a long stressfull process. Now....the first thing they do is ask for the video. I go to my car, download it, and hand it over. We are required to record every interaction with the public for that reason. The worst complaint I had was after stopping a car that was a complete match to one used in a Home Invasion Burglary in the area that had just occurred. I saw it, did a felony stop on it, dude got out of the car and started to run and a fight ensued. He threatened to sue and after reviewing the video, my Chief told him to hire a lawyer cause he'd love to see this shit go to trial. That is the shortened version, but the point is that that camera is absolutely the best thing ever.

I also agree with Ranger Colt1rgr's view on cops doing more than what they should, but as I said before the facts should support the action. If they are passive in their resistance, then your actions should be passive. If they are actively fighting you, then I'm going to fight back however I have to for the protection of myself and to affect that arrest. The level of force used should also suit the crime, I am not going to have an MMA match with someone who is just drunk....I'll make the arrest but I'll take longer and be less agressive doing so (verbal judo and etc.). But the gang banger who just shot/stabbed/beat someone is going in cuffs as fast as possible with the least amount of force possible. At that point it's the suspects ball to make the play unfold.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

IEDmagnet wrote: If they are passive in their resistance, then your actions should be passive. If they are actively fighting you, then I'm going to fight back however I have to for the protection of myself and to affect that arrest. The level of force used should also suit the crime, I am not going to have an MMA match with someone who is just drunk
I don't normally gush like a school girl when someone posts something I appreciate BUT....This is phenomenal explanation of "Escalation of force". You capsulized something it takes at least an hour to explain to the uninitiated.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Silverback wrote:
IEDmagnet wrote: If they are passive in their resistance, then your actions should be passive. If they are actively fighting you, then I'm going to fight back however I have to for the protection of myself and to affect that arrest. The level of force used should also suit the crime, I am not going to have an MMA match with someone who is just drunk
I don't normally gush like a school girl when someone posts something I appreciate BUT....This is phenomenal explanation of "Escalation of force". You capsulized something it takes at least an hour to explain to the uninitiated.

Thanks Ranger Silverback.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

In another story regarding the power of video:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599200856600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am curious of the LEO take on this.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
RangerX wrote:In another story regarding the power of video:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599200856600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am curious of the LEO take on this.
I suppose it would depend if the locals chose to pass such a restrictive law.

Cops are definitely much better off assuming at all times that they are being videotaped………………

Citizens seem to relish the power they posses by videoing cops, maybe an attempt at regaining the loss of power they feel they give up to the cops?

Fuck citizens
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The Mosh Pit”