Registering with the ATF

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

When going shorter, barrel length choice is always a toughie...check this out....

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthr ... genumber=2
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

H8, why would you want an SBR in a 5.56? 14.5" with a brake to bring it out to 16" is about the shortest that I'd go. The ballistics of a 5.56 suck in those SBR rifles. If you want a short upper, don't ruin a good upper. Get a good 9mm or .45 upper from Olympic Arms or ASA, then have it SBR'd. You should be able to use your existing lower, from what I understand. A lot of guys have done so with they're Romanian AKs that came in as a 922r compliant rifles. I'd contact the BATF directly, and get they're opinion in writing. That's the best thing when it comes to those kind of dealings. It may not be the shortest route, but you'll have the answer from the man himself.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

1st Ranger wrote:H8, why would you want an SBR in a 5.56? 14.5" with a brake to bring it out to 16" is about the shortest that I'd go. The ballistics of a 5.56 suck in those SBR rifles. If you want a short upper, don't ruin a good upper. Get a good 9mm or .45 upper from Olympic Arms or ASA, then have it SBR'd. You should be able to use your existing lower, from what I understand. A lot of guys have done so with they're Romanian AKs that came in as a 922r compliant rifles. I'd contact the BATF directly, and get they're opinion in writing. That's the best thing when it comes to those kind of dealings. It may not be the shortest route, but you'll have the answer from the man himself.
I'd disagree with you bro....I'd take a .223 in a short barrel over a 9mm or .45 anyday.

Also, why go with a 14.5 barrel with a brake to equal 16 inches instead of a 16 inch heavy barrel?

SEALs are going with quick change barrels in 10.5 for cqb and then long barrels for field work...makes sense if you ain't buying the parts, that shit's expensive!

http://lewismachine.biz/

1st, there making Krinkovs out of Romie AK's? and that's legal to register and then chop them as SBR's?
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

BadMuther wrote: 1st, there making Krinkovs out of Romie AK's? and that's legal to register and then chop them as SBR's?
Yeah. For a while there Krink kits were every where, kinda like AMD kits are now. Even though they may not be as numerous as they were, you can still buy the kits at places like K-Var for a very reasonable price.

As for the whole SBR for 5.56 issue. You better be able to change out that upper before leaving a building, because once outside, it'll be pretty useless. The beauty behind the M855, 5.56 round is that when it hits a body, it fragments. The jacket and the core seperate, each traveling in different directions doing all kinds of awesome damage. The kicker is, it has to be traveling at a certain speed upon impact in order to do this. M855 just looses too much energy too fast out of a SBR. You are correct in saying that a 16 HBR is better than 14.5", but a lot of huys out there want to replicate their issued M4, so they opt to get a 14.5" barrel with a brake on it that brings it out to 16"(I know, cause that's what I did and I've seen a lot of other guys do it too befeore I got out). But compared to a SBR, even 14.5" is better. Now, in a room, the shorter barrel won't effect velcity and/or accuracy (plus, what do you do? You keep hitting tha guy till he drops), but outside the building (cause you have to fight to and from the building), that SBR, IMO, would be less than preferable. So would a SBR in a pistol caliber, but they're so damn fun to shoot and it kinda sorta gives you two different guns in one.

And as for the SQUEALS having them, we all know that half of what they do is based on what would better enhance their hollywood image and half is based on good, tactical thinkin. :roll:
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

Here's a post on the same topic from another board. H8 is asking about an AR, and this deals with AKs, but the pinciples will be the same. I'll post the link as long as the content.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthrea ... did=192936

Topic Heading: Who has made a SBR out of the AMD65?

First Poster:
I'm thinking about doing it but have no idea what the whole process would be as far as paying the $200 tax.

Does anyone have any information on where you get the paperwork, etc.?

And how long does it usually take to get approval? I'm shipping for bootcamp in 2 months and would like to have it finished before I leave. Is it even okay to start the build without having the tax stamp yet, like can you do everything but wait and put the FCG in when you finally get the nod from BATF?

Reply:
Go to the atf web site. They have the phone numbers where to get the forms. They will send you a packet with everything youll need. The form 1, fingerprint cards and instructions. Fill it out get the pictures of yourself taken, get fingerprinted,get the cleo sign off send it all in with the $200 check and then wait.and wait and wait somemore.You cannot start putting the barrel on it till you have the stamp in hand.

****Text at the end was placed in bold letters by me****

The ATF considers a that if a person has a semiautomatic rifle, together with FA parts, then he is attempting to build a machinegun. This concept may also apply with a fully legal AR with a 16" barrel, in the same residence as a SBR upper reciever, even if it is not atached. So, I would recommend one of two things:
(1)Get the tax stamp, then buy the upper, or (2) buy the upper and have it shipped to a relative's house until you get the tax stamp.

H8, I hope this helps.

Casa
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I got a 16" upper. But I like the shorty better. I see you point on the 9MM and .45 uppers. But if I wanted something that is going to shoot pistol ammo then I would just buy an MP-5. I have been trying to contact the ATF latley but no responce...figures.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
ChipOnShoulder

Check this SBR out!!

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Go to dsarms and check out the SA58 OSW. It's a Chopped FN FAL with all the goodies in both semi and Select fire. Our project manager has an illustrious history in the Navy and even he was drooling over it! It's one badmutherfucker. If you can't get one look at some of the other rifles and carbines in .308

www.dsarms.com

Doc Cook
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Thanks Doc. Cool site too bad I can't buy the carbine.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I like those DSA FALs, but the .308 Bushmaster kinda of stole my heart away. Too damn bad, but I am going to try to buy the 9 acres of pasture behind my house instead of new rifles. :cry: :cry:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I like those DSA FALs, but the .308 Bushmaster kinda of stole my heart away. Too damn bad, but I am going to try to buy the 9 acres of pasture behind my house instead of new rifles. :cry: :cry:
Buy the rifles instead and you'll own the land by default during the next revolution....wait, did I say that out loud? :twisted:

1st, the barrels change out in less then 30 seconds on the lmt's...
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

H8 Train wrote:
BadMuther wrote:
H8 Train wrote:"Try to ban the AK, I got 10 of em stashed with a case of hand grenades."
Is that another one of your rap songs? :lol:
AH no.
That's Ice Cube.....lying muthaphucka!!!! :lol: :lol:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Saltbitch wrote:
H8 Train wrote:
BadMuther wrote: Is that another one of your rap songs? :lol:
AH no.
That's Ice Cube.....lying muthaphucka!!!! :lol: :lol:
Shame on you SB....but thanks for showing us the light! :twisted:
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

GOT SOME NEW INFO! Just talked to a buddy of mine in the ATF. You can build your own "SBR" as long as you register your exsisting lower reciever as a "SBR". Once I do that my lower becomes a Class III weapon. Also you can still attach any other reciever, wether 16" or 7 1/2". The only thing that the ATF tracks is the lower reciever. He also told me that it is perfectly legal to buy and posess a Commando upper reguardless of length it is just illegal to attach it to your lower, until it is registered of course. He is sending me the paper work as we speak. Thanks for the help guys. You input and efforts where greatly appreciated. :wink:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Weapons of War”