Fire the COCKSUCKER!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Ranger Luna wrote:In my American Legion, monthly newsletter, I believe there was a column that stated that the various veterans organizations filed a class action lawsuit against the Fed. Govt over this.

Does anyone know anything of this?
There has been a class action suit filed. They are asking for $1,000 in damages for each veteran and service member involved. Do the math... it aint never gonna happen. Personally, I think it is more for damage control and a political move by the veterans organizations. I hate to be the devils advocate here but a fuck up on this scale is political gold for the service organizations.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Missing laptop found

Post by FireFinder »

VA chief says laptop with vets’ data recovered
Nicholson says no incidents of identity theft reported since burglary
BREAKING NEWS
By Bob Sullivan
Technology correspondent
MSNBC

Updated: 8:24 a.m. PT June 29, 2006
WASHINGTON - The missing laptop and hard drive that contained veterans' personal information has been found, Veterans Administration Chief Jim Nicholson announced Thursday.

The announcement came at the beginning of a hearing before the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee hearing.

"It was confirmed to me by the deputy attorney general that law enforcement has in their possession the ... laptop and hard drive," Nicholson said in a statement at the hearing. "The serial numbers match."

Experts were conducting forensic tests on the laptop and hard drive, Nicholson said. It was not immediately clear if the data on the equipment had been copied or compromised, but Nicholson said "there is reason to be optimistic."

He did not say how the equipment was recovered, on where it's been during the past two months. The equipment was found Wednesday; Nicholson said he wasn't aware of any arrests made in connection with the incident.

An FBI spokesman said the laptop computer was recovered "in the area," but could not provide more specific information. Forensics tests showed "the sensitive files were not accessed," according to special agent in charge Bill Chase.

In early May, the computer equipment was stolen from a VA employee's home. The agency revealed the theft two weeks later. The news has spurred criticism of the agency's computer security procedures.

The announcement was a surprise at the hearing, which was intended to examine the government's treatment of sensitive data.

Even after the announcement, Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.) was still critical of the agency.

"The intention seems to be to blame all of this on one guy," he said. "But he had permission to download the data. He had help downloading the data."
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
old13bm5
US Army Veteran

Post by old13bm5 »

More info here. The testing that determined that data was not accessed looks a little squirly to me.

Info
www.fairtax.org
US Army 79-86
13b 79-83
72g 83-86
2nd ID 80-81
1st cav 81 -83
8th ID 83-86

Return to “The Mosh Pit”