hobbit's introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

hobbit wrote:Thanks again for the heartfelt welcomes. An old warrior could get downright comfortable around this place.

Hey Steadfast. Check out the K Company Ranger area of your web site. There's an L Company team picture there of me on my last Ranger mission, and a photo I forwarded to your web site of a bunch of K Company Rangers who came up to the 101st when the 4th stood down. They're all at the Bob Hope Christmas Show at Camp Eagle in 1970 in that photo.

I've seen that photo, which are you? the PM I sent you has my name on it. You can now find me in the picture in my previous post. For 10 MPC I can give you an autographed copy! :twisted:

P.S. At the Ranger Rendezvous in '98 I met Duke Dushane at the Banquet. He told me I could save tables for my unit just this once and not to let it happen again. :twisted:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I'm the tall guy, second from left. The guy standing on the far left is Roy Aguero (a retired sergeant major). His son is a Ranger, a platoon leader with the 1st Cav in Iraq. He was written up in Newsweek for a hellacious half-day firefight he was engaged in in Baghdad. They lost two Humvees and were forced to take refuge on the roof of a building. The young lieutenant was as cool as his old man in Vietnam. He took two wounded but didn't lose a man. He's up for a Silver Star now.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

hobbit wrote:I'm the tall guy, second from left. The guy standing on the far left is Roy Aguero (a retired sergeant major). His son is a Ranger, a platoon leader with the 1st Cav in Iraq. He was written up in Newsweek for a hellacious half-day firefight he was engaged in in Baghdad. They lost two Humvees and were forced to take refuge on the roof of a building. The young lieutenant was as cool as his old man in Vietnam. He took two wounded but didn't lose a man. He's up for a Silver Star now.

There are 2 photo's there from you. You are referring to the one where only 4 are pictured? or the one with all in berets?

the guy in the pic below you is known as Rooster on this site and is presently in Iraq as a civilan.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I'm referring to the photo with four guys. This one (the center photo):

http://www.lcompanyranger.com/sweetnam.html

The reason it's posted at the K Company Ranger site, is because I was trying to ID the K Company Ranger who came up from the 4th and went out on this mission with me. I was team leader. It was an eventful mission to say the least. We used thousands of rounds of ammo on this mission. Actually, it's a funny story (if you don't count the two cobras that almost tried to kill us....trigger happy 2/17 flyboys thought we were NVA). I'll have to write about it some time. Anyway, the K Company guy is holding the thumper. I'm the tall guy standing beside him.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Ranger Hobbit
Nice pics. ,Your last mission in the Roung Roung Valley ,now that was a Fucking Fun Place wasn't it
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Mom in Texas
Tadpole

Post by Mom in Texas »

Welcome Ranger Hobbit! Thank you for your service to our country.
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

"Nice pics. Your last mission in the Roung Roung Valley. Now that was a Fucking Fun Place wasn't it."

More Rangers died in the Roung Roung Valley than anywhere
else in Vietnam. Team Kenya Mission, Roung Roung Valley
(I was onboard this one):

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Ranger Hobbit

My hat is off to you and your team mates I salute you all ,we also lost a lot of good troopers in that man made hell hole
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Have you been back to Vietnam, Ripcord?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

mipuke
Tadpole

Post by mipuke »

Ranger Hobbit Welcome to the site.

Vanguard
"NO FATE" T2
Bevo It's Whats for dinner!!!!

Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Ranger Hobbit
No i have not ,Don't really know if i could
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

They have a hotel in the A Shau Valley now. About 10,000 people a year from all over the world travel to Vietnam just to see the infamous A Shau. A lot of American family of men killed in the A Shau go there. Seems a little ironic when you consider that North Vietnamese family survivors will probably never see the place. Hanoi's communist government admitted in 1996 that they'd lost 450,000 KIA and 200,000 MIA in I Corps. Probably half of those died or went missing in the A Shau. That must mean there are literally millions of people from the old North Vietnam related to someone who died there.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

IRONS
Ranger

Post by IRONS »

Welcome
3/75 ACO "GLORY BOYS" 99-02
Gravedigger
Ranger

Welcome

Post by Gravedigger »

Great book, I couldnt put it down once I got started. Being a former peacetime LRRP I have a tremoundous amount of respect for what those guys were asked to do.

RLTW!!
RI 4th RTB 85-88 [Darby]
9th ID scouts 82-85
4/9 Manchu 79-81 [Alaska]
RS 6-84 [ Fortune Favors The Bold]
SERE Instructor class 3-83
NWTC
Mentor to:
Deadbolt

RLTW

" The Fun Starts When the Pussies Fall Out"

Return to “Introduction Archive”