Another prior service question.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Another prior service question.

Post by MagNeato »

I am prior service, USMC. I am re-enlisting (or attampting to) in the Army. I currently have a recruiter and I am in the infancy of the recruitment process. I was discharged for wounds received in action during Operation Restore Hope.

Specifics of previous service:

-4 gun shot wounds, left foot, calf, knee and right thigh.
-13 surgeries for debriedment and meniscus repair(not removal)
-RE code of RE-3P

Specific questions:

1 - I am aware that I cannot get an option 40 and I will also require a medical waiver however, my recruiter is REALLY pushing an 11X option. A lot of info here shys away from this, however is this the best way to eventually, at some point be eligable for RIP?

2 - My recruiter states that after infantry training, all students are briefed by Ranger's and SF. He states that at this time I can volunteer, is this correct?

3 - Being prior service, without the option 40, is there another MOS other than the 11's that is more needed in the Ranger community that I should consider? ( I would ony consider this if there were certain guarantees that the 11 series of MOS' could not provide)

I am sorry if this information has been posted prior. I did search and have found some info on prior service but have yet to find a structured answer to what offers prior service members the BEST opportunity to attend RIP and get assigned to a BN.

Thank you for your time.
Bco 2/75 2007-till as long as they will keep my old ass around!

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'm no recruiter (but I play one on TV :lol: ), but I do know what happened to a friend of mine on this site. Also a former Marine (and GWI veteran), he spent an entire year trying to get an Option 40 contract. Eventually, he went for an 18X slot and got it. Since then, he has been training with 20th SFG and absolutely loves it (except for the swamp bees :lol: ). My advice would be to contact this warrior by PM and get some sound advice from him. He goes by Leatherneck on this site and is a highly regarded member of our cyber-community. Best of luck to you and once again, thanks for the sacrifices and service which you have given to this country.

RLTW
EP

SFC_HitIt: I wasn't trying to cut in on your action, Brother. :wink: Feel free to make necessary corrections to my drivel.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

Thank you very much for the advice Ranger EP it is greatly appreciated.

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

13F.....Forward Observer.

If you want to get to the Ranger Regiment....and you're prior service...that can't get an Option 40......make yourself appealing to the Regiment.

Click on the link below. Then select Ranger on the left of the screen. Then look at MOS/job openings within the 75th Ranger Regiment.

13F has been up there for quite awhile as a critical short MOS.

What I would do....is enlist for 13F....contact the Ranger Liason.....his contact numbers are all over the section the link leads you to......then ask him what exactly your course of action should be. However, you need to plead, fight, and fuck whoever you need to....to ensure that you get Airborne in your contract. 13F is a sure way there....in my BTDT mind. Call the guy...and talk to him.

https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/epinf/INHOME.HTM
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

Thank you very much for your respone Ranger Dublo.

As far as getting Airborne on my initial contract, from this site I am under the impression that I will NOT have that option due to the fact that I will require a medical waiver due to my RE code. Is this 100% for sure?

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

I don't know.....I'm not a recruiter. Just try, try, try, and try again to see what can be done about getting Airborne. Get on the phone.....stay on the internet....and find someone...somewhere, that is willing to listen to you....and help you to get what you want.

You cannot get an Option 40...that is for sure, I know that...but there is not a doubt in my mind that you won't get Airborne...if you fight your ass off.

We need to see what SFC Hit-it says.....he is the man with the motherfuckingmasterplan.

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

welcome to the board, brother.

your question has been answered by my brothers here.

find a support MOS that would be required by the Regiment and then get with the Ranger Liason.

Good luck.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

Thank you very much SFC hit_it and Ranger Dublo I really appreciate it.

After reviewing a lot of informative topics on these boards, there seems to be a lot of suggestions about contacting units to gather information about needs and such. When I was in the Marines, this was a definate no-no and would have been seriously frowned on. Is this truely a viable means to gather guidance and assistance?

Lastly, SFC hit_it you speak of the Ranger liason. Are you reffering to the Ranger unit liason, recruiting liason, school liason etc.?

Thank you again for all your help in this matter.

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Good luck on your journey. There are a lot of us making the move.
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Aequoreus tunc Miles militis
Prepping for the Q course
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

MagNeato wrote:Thank you very much SFC hit_it and Ranger Dublo I really appreciate it.

After reviewing a lot of informative topics on these boards, there seems to be a lot of suggestions about contacting units to gather information about needs and such. When I was in the Marines, this was a definate no-no and would have been seriously frowned on. Is this truely a viable means to gather guidance and assistance?

Lastly, SFC hit_it you speak of the Ranger liason. Are you reffering to the Ranger unit liason, recruiting liason, school liason etc.?

Thank you again for all your help in this matter.

Check the website bud.....I didn't put it up there for my health.....it has everything that you need. There is only one Ranger Liason.

MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

Thanks again Ranger Dublo, and my appologies for the lack of attention to detail.

That site has what i need.

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

Just an update:

Just shot off all of my paperwork via the recruiter to MEPS to start the process. I included 2 private DR clearences and a MEPS physical that I passed that is 3 years old so hopefully this will help get me through the physical in so much as i am evaluated on my current condition in lieu of what some paperwork that is 10 years old says.

I am still very confused on the MOS to choose. Opt 40 is a no-go for sure and an Airborne contract is a no-go as well due to the medical waiver issue.

I attempted to contact the Ranger liason that was suggested but to no avail however, I will continue the attempts and frequency up until I re-enter the military. At this point it looks like I will attend BCT instead of WCT so with a whole lot of luck i can pick up an Airborne and RIP slot via that route.

Any ole' how, i should have an answer and a MEPS date Wednesday or Thursday of next week so will report back then.

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Odd that they are making you go to BCT and not WTC. We are almost in the same boat as far as time separated from the Corps. I actually asked to go to BCT and was told in no uncertain terms I could not. I head out next month to WTC. Good luck .
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Aequoreus tunc Miles militis
Prepping for the Q course
MagNeato
Inprocessing

Post by MagNeato »

There is nothing set in stone with me yet, but this is what I have been told. The explination given was MOS change and time out of service. We will see, either way no worries if you know what I mean.

I think that one big diffeence between you and I is the IRR time, that places our "time out" much more recent, and I think that thi is counted. Due to my medical discharge my time ended in 94.

USMC
1990-1994
Bco, 3AABN, 1st MarDiv
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

MagNeato wrote:Just an update:

Just shot off all of my paperwork via the recruiter to MEPS to start the process. I included 2 private DR clearences and a MEPS physical that I passed that is 3 years old so hopefully this will help get me through the physical in so much as i am evaluated on my current condition in lieu of what some paperwork that is 10 years old says.

I am still very confused on the MOS to choose. Opt 40 is a no-go for sure and an Airborne contract is a no-go as well due to the medical waiver issue.

I attempted to contact the Ranger liason that was suggested but to no avail however, I will continue the attempts and frequency up until I re-enter the military. At this point it looks like I will attend BCT instead of WCT so with a whole lot of luck i can pick up an Airborne and RIP slot via that route.

Any ole' how, i should have an answer and a MEPS date Wednesday or Thursday of next week so will report back then.
want some personal advice? you should be looking at support MOS's. but that's personal opinion.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”