hobbit's introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

hobbit's introduction

Post by hobbit »

Greetings,

My name is Tom Sweetnam, "hobbit" being my code name for Ranger operations in Vietnam. I'm a semi-retired commercial writer/journalist who did two tours in I Corps, the first with L Company Ranger, 101st Airborne Division, and the second with 101st Airborne Division PSYOPS. Along with fellow L Company Ranger vet, Randy White, I've edited a lot of the photo material for the 101st Airborne Division LLRP/Rangers of Vietnam web site. Please come and visit:

http://www.lcompanyranger.com/
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome aboard young warrior. I've seen your web sight before....VERY well done! Have you made any changes recently?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome Ranger!
Dud
Tadpole

Post by Dud »

Welcome to the board Ranger Hobbit,
I was looking at your website, particularly the photographs of the F company. A few of the names jumped out at me: "Dozer", Contreros, and a few others. I read a book a few years ago, I believe the title was "Six Silent Men." I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that was it and it contained the exploits of these men. I no longer have the book on me to check for myself but was wondering if perhaps you could verify this for me. Either way, although I'm no Ranger, welcome to the board and thank you for the website. I have a certain fondness for the 101st as well 8)

Dud
"The secret to happiness in life is finding that which you are willing to die for, and begin living for it."
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Nope. No major changes. We've spent 5 years now trying to get the guys to part with their photos for a week or two so we can scan them and add them to the corpus of Ranger history. We've accumulated a pretty good collection on the site. The only significant change is that the guy in these photos just keeps gettin' better and better looking every year ; - ) :

http://www.lcompanyranger.com/sweetnam.html
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Welcome Ranger Hobbit
Our paths may have crossed years ago , great website looking at the ,FSB pics. brings back memories ,Welcome back to the World Bro.
I was with Hard Luck Alpha 2/501
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Welcome Ranger Hobbit, glad to have you in the AO. 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Thanks Slowpoke, BadMuther, Dud, and Ripcord.

Re: Six Silent Men.

This was an attempt at writing a three-volume history of 101st Airborne Division LRRP/Ranger operations in Vietnam. My closest e-mail buddy, Ken Miller, wrote volume 2. So yes, 1st Brigade LRRP, F/58, and L Company Ranger operations are all included in the trilogy. Honestly however, these three volumes covered only a fraction of the actual operations conducted by these units. "L Company Ranger" is known in the publishing business as "Literary Company Ranger" because of the number of writers emerging from the unit. I think at last count, some 19 books had been published on the 101st LRRP/Rangers in Vietnam. Even then, probably 50% of the history has yet to be written. Randy White, our unit web host has spent five years ferreting out after action reports from the Pentagon, and is adding a great deal to filling in the blanks.
Last edited by hobbit on December 7th, 2004, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Welcome aboard elder Samurai.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to the board Ranger. Extremely pleased to have you.

RLTW
Bell
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Welcome!
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

welcome!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Ranger Hobbit, Welcome to the site! Glad to have you! Thank you for your service and your continued contributions to the memory of what has been done for our Nation.
Silverback wrote:Image
Ranger Silverback - this little airplane is a very nice way to say Welcome!
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Return to “Introduction Archive”