Climbing Rangers and armyranger.com members?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

avidwanderer
USAF Vet/US Army Chopper Pilot

Climbing Rangers and armyranger.com members?

Post by avidwanderer »

Is there anybody on this board that enjoys rock climbing or mountaineering? I know all the Rangers here have been through the Mountain Phase, but I was wondering if anyone may have picked up an addiction there...

If you do climb, what kind of climbing and where?
Nov 2001--March 2006 52 SFS, 49 OSS
as active duty air force security forces
--crossed to army--
March 2006-May 2006 WOCS Class 06-07
May 2006-Nov 2007 B Co. 1/145th
Nov 2007-In a US army CAB
Oct 2008--Oct 2009 Camp Speicher B. 3-10 AVN
Oct 2010--Present JAF Task Force Six Shooters (Calvary)
AIR CAV!!!!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I believe Ranger Spartan has done some climbing. Don't know if he is still into it or not.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

I was a climber before I went in the Army. Lots of opportunities and challenges in Wyoming.

Then one day I fell off a ledge in a canyon and damn near splatted.

Haven't done any climbing since :oops: :lol:
RSD 96-99
avidwanderer

Post by avidwanderer »

V-Rod wrote:I was a climber before I went in the Army. Lots of opportunities and challenges in Wyoming.

Yikes!! Were you soloing??
--crossed to army--
AIR CAV!!!!
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

avidwanderer wrote:
V-Rod wrote:I was a climber before I went in the Army. Lots of opportunities and challenges in Wyoming.

Yikes!! Were you soloing??
No.

A friend and I were just relaxing on a ledge, eating a snack. We were about halfway up a 400 foot canyon wall. I, like an idiot, had detached from my safety line to eat. (It was a pretty big ledge :oops: )

I stood up and went to the edge to look down at the river and slipped on the gravel.....and there I went, snack and all. I got my left hand on the rope as I went over and when I came to a stop I had about 18 inches of it remaining, dangling below my hand :shock:

I can still remember watching my sandwich fall.........
RSD 96-99
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I have gone free climbing a few times but nothing serious.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I used to climb, lead 5.10. Climbed in NV, NC and OR (Smith Rock) and at an indoor rock gym. :roll: Lotta fun.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I'm more into mountaineering than sport climbing; although the technical climbing aspects makes it possible to the 'whole enchilada', so to speak.
avidwanderer

Post by avidwanderer »

Saltbitch wrote:I'm more into mountaineering than sport climbing; although the technical climbing aspects makes it possible to the 'whole enchilada', so to speak.
I am just starting mountaineering, after sport climbing and top roping for the past 3 years. I like it more, mainly because the goal isn't to finish a route, but to get to a summit. The views I saw on my last trip have got me sold on mountaineering.
--crossed to army--
AIR CAV!!!!
Reaper375

Re: Climbing Rangers and armyranger.com members?

Post by Reaper375 »

avidwanderer wrote:Is there anybody on this board that enjoys rock climbing or mountaineering? I know all the Rangers here have been through the Mountain Phase, but I was wondering if anyone may have picked up an addiction there...

If you do climb, what kind of climbing and where?
I climb. I got into it more and more when I would come home on leave and climb at a place called Planet Rock, in Pontiac Michigan.

I've climbed throughout Colorado, but mainly I stick to places in the midwest and east coast. The place I work at has a 70 foot rock wall indoors, so I climb on breaks when I can. I am not the best climber in the world - I'm not light enough - but I do love it.

I bought a Misty Mountain Cadillac harness from REI, use Edelweiss stratos dry rope, and Five-ten Anasazi rock shoes. I use 2 different belay devices: a Black Diamond ATC belay device (usually for experiencede climbers who trust me), and a Petzl Grigri belay device for folks who are new and like to see that kind of belay.

For Beaners (carabiners), I pretty much just use Black Diamond. They make a wide array of quality gear, and I've never had problems with it.
Swoff
Tadpole

Post by Swoff »

Just got into this whole climbing buisness and I got to say it is a whole lot of fun...... after going over this route several times I finnaly made it to the top :D Got to say I was darn proud at that moment. That route was a 6-, I am not sure if the same system for grading routes are used all over the world but that was what I was told I climbed.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I loved climbing. Now with my ailment rendering my left arm not capable to hold my weight for long it has become a memory.

I hike a lot and go places that most would avoid still.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “The Mosh Pit”