SF and 75th ranger regiment

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
freddytunafish

SF and 75th ranger regiment

Post by freddytunafish »

Do each favor a different kind of soldier? Is a ranger more of a team player and SF more relaxed and keeps to himself? I read an interview with Ricardo Pires(2/75th's brazilian jiu jitsu instructor) and he said that rangers were alot more gung ho and ready to learn everything they could and the SF guys would just sit back and listen. Is this accurate? A ranger also told me the other day that 80% of CAG comes from the 75th ranger regiment. Is this also true? thanks
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I left a Law Enforcement job in Houston to enlist. While I was still negotiating my contract with the recruiter, I asked a friend on the Force, who had been SF, what the difference was between Rangers and SF. His reply was as follows:

If you had a squad of Rangers in a valley, a battalion of enemy forces ontop of the hill, and the Rangers received orders to take the hill, they would circle up, fix bayonets, butt heads, and charge the hill. (There is a high probability that they would succeed in taking the hill, too, by the way.)

If you had a Special Forces team in the same exact scenerio, they would put on their RayBans, find a shady tree, pop the top on an ice cold six-pack, and call in an airstrike.

Although he was making a joke and it was not intended to be a slam in any way, I found some truth in his comparison. SF is much more laid back than Battalion...in dress, in operations, and in the way they act. In battalion, you can't answer a question without yelling. You can't move across a room without running/shouting. Rangers are 210% motivated...and it ALWAYS shows.

Therefore, it is pretty common to see someone who has put in several years in Bat, to switch over to SF. By that point, they've definately earned the laid back lifestyle and can still partake in all of the Hooah training.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”