strength vs. endurance

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
freddytunafish

strength vs. endurance

Post by freddytunafish »

Are there any powerlifting types in Batt.? I have heard about some really big guys but how do people like that survive on long runs(18 miles?). Can any of you tell me what some of the strongest guys lifts were (squat, bench, deadlift)? thanks
rangerbatt
Ranger

Weights

Post by rangerbatt »

There are guys like that. My experience has been that the heavier guys don't make it. Long distance runners and swimmers do. There may be exceptions. In any case, you've gotta want it.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Tuna-

The only guy in my company who stood out as an Arnold Schwartzeneggar (sp?) type, worked in the quartermaster supply. He never did any time on a rifle team.

We had access to a very nice weight room in our battalion AO, but I only recall visiting it about ten times (I lived off post, too, though). It had a great stereo system and all of the work-out equipment you could ever need.

I have no idea what anyone else benched or squatted, nor would I have cared, as it really wouldn't have pertained to anything in Ranger life. What was noticed, was the guy in your squad or platoon who was totally squared away at all times. That's what others tried to emmulate. Everyone aspired to be the very best soldier...nothing else.

As Rangerbatt stated, most Rangers are the distance-runner/swimmer types. Strength comes naturally, when you're humping the amount of gear these guys carry. If you can picture a young soldier, average height and weight, who is absolutely nothing but muscle and bone, that's what they're like. They all come complete with Energizer batteries and can keep going, and going, and going with no food, sleep , water, or rest.

EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”