PT?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Glock

PT?

Post by Glock »

Beside running, pushups, and situps. What are some more forms of PT that will prepare us for RIP?
Spartan

Re: PT?

Post by Spartan »

Glock wrote:Beside running, pushups, and situps. What are some more forms of PT that will prepare us for RIP?
Road marching, flutter kicks, pullups and short sprints as well. On the roadmarching, increase your weight and distance gradually. Get some boots which support your feet well and are comfortable. Do not use running shoes for that. Flutter kicks - work up to at least 350 before you go. You've got time to do it since you don't report until the end of March. So - Just do it.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Thanks pneves
11civilian

Post by 11civilian »

Glock,

If you plan on going to RIP, know that you will be required to successfuly pass the CWST (combat water survival test). It consists of various exercises to test your proficiency in the water. I remember being nervous about this many years ago (I didn't join the navy, did I), come to find out that after some initiative to train up on my off-time it was no sweat. Basically, there are three stations. You are wearing full BDU's and boots with trousers unbloused in all of them. 1) You are blindfolded on a diving platform, given a rifle and LBE, spun around to disorient your direction, and shoved off into the void. 2)In the ditch and don, you are given a rifle and LBE. You are shoved into the deep end of the pool. There you must submerge to the bottom and remove your equipment, then swim up to the surface without getting entangled. 3) Consists of a distance swim with rifle and LBE. The length you can swim will give you a title of either Weak, Intermediate, or Strong swimmer (please note that boots, BDU's, LBE drag horribly in the water, while the rifle suspended above the H20 surface tends to push you downward a little). Although being a strong swimmer may get you some respect from your piers, don't sweat it too much if you can't swim that well. CWST is conducted periodically at Ranger Bat. and remedial training is available to you if you are motivated enough to seek it out. 30 meters is the bare minimum for passing.

Boots. While you are at Airborne get to the Clothing and Sales and buy yourself a pair of black jungles. DO NOT show up to RIP with green jungle boots. You have not yet earned the right to wear them. I don't think you are authorized to wear Jungles in Airborne, don't remember. Just buy a pair and break them in as best you can in your down-time. Your feet will thank you. At RIP you will do some moving in them.

Leatherman (& a folding one-handed knife with lanyard if you want to splurge). Tie all this shit down with 550 cord. This has got to be the most crucial comfort item for a Ranger hopeful.

I hope this post was helpful. I could go on for days but there's little anyone can do to prepare you for any gut-check. It's up to you to decide whether you have what it takes. Best of luck.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Thanks for the info 11, I am a very good swimmer, so I don't think I'll have that much trouble with the CWST. And thanks for the tip about the boots, I'm sure my feet will thank you later 8)
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

To anyone whom may know: At RIP, do the instructors allow students to wear things like Underarmor (which is basically advaced spandex) under their BDUs? I used to wear the stuff in football and it was a great sweat absorvant (sp?). Are there any other helpfull hints of things that are allowed that may help out at RIP? Thanks alot.
11civilian

Post by 11civilian »

Matt177,

Look, bud. You can wear lace panties in the field. I am telling you though, that you're not going to want it. Ask anyone who's ever done a 25mile road march and they'll tell you the same thing; you're going to chafe, regardless. BDU trousers-no underwear. This way you'll have a rash but not as severe. Now, there may be some joe out there who has found something really high speed to overcome this, I don't know. I've never met anyone yet who wears fucking underwear in thei field.
rangerbatt
Ranger

Underwear

Post by rangerbatt »

Dittos on the previous message. I've cut undergarmets off of troops in the field as their balls swelled. It's a NO GO.
Glock

Post by Glock »

Will it help if you pour some baby powder on your balls?
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

The only way to stop roadmarch rash is to do lots of it to toughen up the inside of your legs but hell we humped all the time and sometimes you get it sometimes you don't
The Tool, RLTW!!!
ps if you are so worried about that then think about something else b/c its fuckin trivial.
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Matt117 wrote:To anyone whom may know: At RIP, do the instructors allow students to wear things like Underarmor (which is basically advaced spandex) under their BDUs? I used to wear the stuff in football and it was a great sweat absorvant (sp?). Are there any other helpfull hints of things that are allowed that may help out at RIP? Thanks alot.

Matt buy yourself a large jar of Vaseline. Before a road march or a long run (+10 miles) smack a large dobb of it at the top of your ass crack. That way, you body heat will melt it and cause it to run downward thus lubricating your butt cheeks (butt cheek chafe is killer) and as it travels downward it will also keep your thighs from chafing. It will also act to keep ticks, chiggers, sand fleas, and leeches from getting a good hold on you. Word to the wise though, never dip from another mans jar unless you really know him.

RLTW !![/list]
Looon
Ranger

ROAD MARCHING

Post by Looon »

WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT WEAR UNDERWARE ON A MARCH, IT WILL TEAR YOU UP.
WE USED VASALINE BETWEEN OUR LEGS BEFORE THE MARCH. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH "LUBE" ON A MARCH.
YOU COULD WEAR PANTYHOSE, BUT YOU WOULD PROBABLY GET SMOKED LIKE A CUBAN CIGAR.

RANGERS DO, AND ALWAYS WILL, LEAD THE WAY!!!!!!!!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Ranger

Post by 112789 »

Don't know if anyone will see this post since the last post was in March. But in regards to chaffing and such there is a product called PowerGlide. I am not a military type..yet.. but plan to be to. Having said that I have never done any long rucking. But I have been a runner for many years, and will be running a marthon next weekend. I ran into the chaffing etc. problem training for this marathon. I have used vaseline but it doesn't hold a candle to powerglide. It does not melt away like vaseline nor does it leave a greasy slimy ass mess wherever you have to put it. It comes in deodorant form. I have done 5, 20 mile runs in my training and powerglide works really well. If any one is wondering where to find it, try the closest specialty running store.
Ranger

Post by 112789 »

The stuff is called Bodyglide not Powerglide. my mistake
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Seems a bit odd that the 1st and 3rd Bat guys are so into Vaseline products....hmm. :wink:

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”