Biased article or accurate?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Re: Biased article or accurate?

Post by RangerX »

Everything published these days is biased in some way or another. The NRA is equally guilty to pandering to their base.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

What Wayne LaPierre said is true, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. It has been proven many times that the mere presence of a gun will cause the bad guy to run away. In several of these mass shooting, the bad guy continued to shoot until the good guys with guns showed up, at which time they shot themselves. The guy who wrote this article has twisted what Wayne LaPierre said around to try and make him sound like he just wants people to start shooting no matter what. Remember, a good guy with a gun should be trained in how to use that gun and how to assess the situation if the need arises. Each person is going to react differently to the given situation depending on their training. I have told my wife and daughters that if anyone ever tries to break into our house, they are to lock themselves in the master bedroom in the closet, where the safe is at (in the safe is a loaded shotgun and a loaded pistol) and let the thief take whatever they want as long as they don't enter the room they are in. They are only to shoot if the thief attempts to enter the room they are in. They are trained to shoot a weapon, but not in a "combat" situation. I on the other hand would meet the individuals at the door and stop them from entering the house. Notice, either way the good guy with the gun has stopped the bad guy with the gun, when it was needed. Why do these scumbags always attack 'weapons free zones', because they fear the places where the good guys have guns. Get smart people, arm up, and be ready.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

To go along with the above sentiments, consider this:
New laws making anything illegal only work on part of the population. The part of the population that follows the law.
That means that Pookie the gang banger is going to continue ignoring the laws saying he can't sell crack, can't rape everything within reach of his dick, can't carry a gun, can't rob people, can't commit murder, can't etc...
So basically, all this knee jerk reaction after any major incident only hurts one group of people. Law abiding citizens. No one else.

So my logic says we should make things easier for law abiding citizens to get, keep, and bear arms. Because let's face it- an armed society is a polite society. And a safe society.

To go with that, we should eliminate parole and probation for anyone convicted of a forcible felony. You should only get let out of jail in a pine box if you are convicted of one of those. Jail is too overcrowded and you don't get your own 8x10 cell? Tough shit. Learn to sleep on your back or someone else will. Once we run out of room in the jails, then the longest serving ones can be put on a plane, flown out into the middle of an ocean and dropped. If they make it back to shore with out being dead then we can talk about parole.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

TC204 wrote:The NRA’s chief spokesman, Wayne LaPierre, infamously claimed following the Sandy Hook child massacre that “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun” — but Rivera and other combat vets say that’s ridiculous.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/its-ins ... with-guns/
3 things here.

1. One person's opinion on how "HE" would respond, does not make an absolute.

2. Just because you're a "Combat Vet" doesn't necessarily translate itself to mean you're a subject matter expert on an active shooter situation.

3. Know the genus of the publications producing the articles.

Raw Story is about as far left as Salon, Vox, Slate, Huff Post and others.

There are a few good points in the article, however, when the last example in the article asks "If you see someone running out of a gas station with a gun in their hand, do you want an untrained person jumping out and opening fire?”

Um, no you dumbass. You get a firearm, you first, learn the laws and all the responsibilities that go along with it. Next, you train with it....often and on a regular basis. Finally, you have to develop that mentality that allows you to identify a threat, react correctly, swiftly and accurately, should a situation requiring the use of deadly force, ever be needed, to protect yourself or another / others, should it ever present itself.

The whole point of the article does exactly what it was intended to do - to continue scaring those sheeple who continue to listen to all the nonsense spewed, when it comes to gun control and scaring those who may be sitting on the fence, off of it and over to their side.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”