Into- Dylan:

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

lacrosse411
Embryo

Into- Dylan:

Post by lacrosse411 »

Hello Rangers!

My name is Dylan, I'm 15 years old and a sophomore in high school. I plan to graduate early, at the end of my junior year, and enlist with an op. 40 when I'm 17. I was thinking either 68w or 11x. I live in Fort Mill SC, a suburb of Charlotte NC. I play lacrosse for my schools state champion lacrosse team.

I've wanted to be a Ranger ever since I learned about them, I saw the surviving the cut episode about Ranger School and I did some more research. I learned about RASP, the history of the Rangers, and the types of missions Rangers do. I feel like I was born to be a Ranger. Never have I felt so strongly about something.

My ultimate goal is to go to RRC, which brings me to my question. What happens if I pass RASP but fail SOCM? I've searched the forums but to no avail. Also when I search "68w" the search turns up empty. Also, would a 68w have the same chance as an 11b to join RRC?

I've self administered a PT test and the results are as follows:
Push ups- 63
Sit ups- 94
Pull ups- 12
2 mile run- 12:48
I did not account for those done with improper form because I did not have a coach to tell me when I'd done one with improper form. I was in MCJROTC last year and the results of our final PFT are as follows:
Push ups- 54
Crunches- 143
Pull ups-8
1 mile run- 5:38

Thank you for all of your help Rangers!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Into- Dylan:

Post by Jim »

Dylan, our policy is to only permit future soldiers who have passed their 16th birthday. You may come to the site and read, but until your birthday, you may not post anything.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Don't let that fact get you down, pretty squared away intro for a 15yr old. Ton of good info here for you to study up on. Hang tight, study, read and keep doing PT. Post back on your 16th Bday with another update.

Don't respond to me, as Ranger Jim said you cannot post further until then, follow his instructions.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

cams wrote:Don't let that fact get you down, pretty squared away intro for a 15yr old. Ton of good info here for you to study up on. Hang tight, study, read and keep doing PT. Post back on your 16th Bday with another update.

Don't respond to me, as Ranger Jim said you cannot post further until then, follow his instructions.
I also am impressed with what you've done so far to find out about being a Ranger. I look forward to your 16th birthday and the day that you can become a member of this site. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Hello Rangers,
Yesterday, July 8th, was my 16th birthday. Since last I posted I've followed a workout program that has focused a lot on upper body, primarily push ups. To be honest my diet hasnt been ideal but it hasn't, as far as I know, been significant in any gain of fat or loss of muscle. I finished my sophomore year of high school in early June. My parents have decided not to allow me to graduate at the end of my junior year as I had planned so I still have 2 years left to complete. This should give me plenty of time to improve my PT significantly. I have completed a PFT and the results are as follows.
12:28 -2 mile run
65- push ups in 2 minutes
85- sit ups in 2 minutes
12 -pull ups
A Cadre friend from my local JROTC unit was the grader so that should account for those done with improper form. I have begun to memorize the Ranger creed and also studying the Ranger handbook. I have decided that the MOS I want is 68w. If however, when I start to begin my recruiting process, I am able to obtain an 11x Op. 40 I would be more than willing to accept either. Thank you for your time Rangers and I look forward to learning a lot from you in the coming years.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Excellent, good to see you post again here.

Listen to your parents, always. You have plenty of time to spare at your age and the Army isn't going anywhere. Education is key.

Keep doing what you're doing young man. Stay strong and be smart. Don't get in trouble with the law even for minor things or The Regiment won't be interested in you.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Roger Ranger cams.
I actually do have a question concerning the law. Last October I got into a fight at school with a senior trying to bully one of the smaller freshman kids. Anyway it ended with both of us pretty bruised up, and I'm not proud of the way I acted. I got a misdemeanor disturbance and went through arbitration. After the arbitration the file was sealed and I was told that when I was 18 I could pay to have it expunged completely. I know this is minor but will this affect my chances of being accepted into the regiment or obtaining an option 40?
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

lacrosse411 wrote:Roger Ranger cams.
I actually do have a question concerning the law. Last October I got into a fight at school with a senior trying to bully one of the smaller freshman kids. Anyway it ended with both of us pretty bruised up, and I'm not proud of the way I acted. I got a misdemeanor disturbance and went through arbitration. After the arbitration the file was sealed and I was told that when I was 18 I could pay to have it expunged completely. I know this is minor but will this affect my chances of being accepted into the regiment or obtaining an option 40?
I can't give you a solid answer on that. It happened when you were still a minor, so it should be sealed, but when Regiment starts doing a background check for your security clearance they'll see everything.

Others here I'm sure will know better than I on that particular issue.

I would get it expunged anyway so it doesn't effect you in the future, and it's not a cheap process, last I knew years ago it was up over 500.00 but your state may be different.

If the charges had been anything to do with drugs or alcohol it would be a big problem and most likely disqualify you immediately, so keep that in mind when your friends are out in the woods or at a house party drinking and smoking and being knuckleheads.

I'm not telling you to not be a kid and enjoy yourself while you're still young, just be very smart about what you do and understand that stupid choices win stupid prizes.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Roger Ranger cams.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

lacrosse411, I can't speak to the rest...but normally expungement costs around $750 right now in SC. Hope that helps, good luck with the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Hello Rangers,
Quick PT update. I completed a 5 mile ruck march with 35 lbs in 1 hour 17 minutes
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

lacrosse411,

First, I would follow what they have said regarding the expungement. I would make sure however, that you have all the dates and information written down since when you go for a clearance expungement means nothing. Shouldn't be a big problem but keep your nose clean, go have fun as a kid but make good choices. As to your questions in your initial post I can say from a 68W standpoint that is the way to go. If you pass RASP but fail SOCM you go to big army. However, that is not the mindset to have. A with RASP many have done it before you. It is all in will and determination. As for your other question don't put the cart before the horse. Get in the Army, then to Regiment, then make the pieces fall where you want them.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Roger Ranger Grim666, thank you
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Welcome back and happy 16th. I concur with the other Rangers, keep your nose clean, stay out of trouble and stay away from drugs and alcohol at all costs. I know a lot of young laborer in the construction industry that work for me who had military ambitions, but got involved with drugs or alcohol and it changed their whole future. Have fun, enjoy life, but try to always do the right thing. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
lacrosse411
Embryo

Post by lacrosse411 »

Hello Rangers,

My apologies for such a delayed update. School started here in and I've been struggling to balance school, work, rifle team, cross country, lacrosse, academic team, and home responsibilities. My schedule is extremely packed lately. My PT has suffered in some places but my running has improved significantly. I fully intend to find a place for dedicated and specific PT as soon as my schedule is more stable. My scores are as follows.

Push ups: 45
Pull ups: 15
Sit ups: 73
2 mile run: 12:10

I could really use any advice I can get as far as time management goes. In other news I am enrolled in an anatomy and physiology course in preperation for a possible future as a 68w. I'm also trying to find time to learn Arabic, I don't know if that will help me bit I feel I should learn it to keep in my pocket. Thank you for every thing Rangers.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”