Clearances

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Notinarmy12
Embryo

Clearances

Post by Notinarmy12 »

I leave soon for OSUT 11x, I was unable to get option 40 due to the fact Im not a citizen so I couldn't get a Secret/TS clearnce, I do have airbourne on my contract tho. Once I become a citizen ill try agian, my only concern is that being from a different country, as a infantryman would it be hard to get a TS clearnce becuase of that? Or do I only need a Sercret clearnce as a infantryman?
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: Clearances

Post by carbonlife4010 »

You only need a Secrete clearance if you get OPT 40. You do not need a clearance if you're airborne. What country are you from? Depending on which country you're from, it may impact your ability to get a TS, but you should still be able to get a Secrete level clearance, BUT you must be a US citizen first. You have to become naturalized, enlisting in the Army will be a positive factor they'll consider when you apply for your clearance down the road. It will show a sign of loyalty to the U.S. as long as you agree to forfeit any foreign passports and affiliations. If you have any property or investments in a foreign country, don't waste your time applying for a clearance. Also, make sure you have good credit with no outstanding severe debt or any bills in collections. Another factor, if your family members are not citizens, it may also hinder your ability to get a clearance as well. They will ask if your parents and/or siblings are citizens of the U.S. or not.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Navid
94F OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20141230

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Notinarmy12
Embryo

Post by Notinarmy12 »

Thankyou for replying carbonlife, I am aware that you don't need a clearnce just airborne, I was lucky enough to get that in my contract. I'm from Canada, I do have a bank account there and as well as trust funds, no debt. Everyone else in my family apartment from my grandparents is canadian. Once I become a citizen and apply, I was wondering if this would affect me much? My recuiter said for a secret clearnce it won't be a big deal, but he also said if you ever become a ranger you will evenuatly need a top secret clearnce if you stay in further downy he road(im not sure if that's true or a secret will do) that's where it will effect me.
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Army12 wrote:Thankyou for replying carbonlife, I am aware that you don't need a clearnce just airborne, I was lucky enough to get that in my contract. I'm from Canada, I do have a bank account there and as well as trust funds, no debt. Everyone else in my family apartment from my grandparents is canadian. Once I become a citizen and apply, I was wondering if this would affect me much? My recuiter said for a secret clearnce it won't be a big deal, but he also said if you ever become a ranger you will evenuatly need a top secret clearnce if you stay in further downy he road(im not sure if that's true or a secret will do) that's where it will effect me.
Army12,

You only need a TS if you plan to get into a MOS that needs it within the 75th, such as intelligence or drone pilots as two examples. If you plan to be 11x, all you would need is a secret clearance to the best of my knowledge.

I can't say if you'll be ok or not for the secret clearance because it really does vary case to case. All I can say is that they will question the topics I mentioned in my previous post. They will consider all those factors before granting you a clearance. Since you're from Canada, I don't see any major issues as far as the foreign affiliation goes. However, they might question your financial interest in another country or in your case, in Canada. From all the research I've done and experienced myself, the biggest factors that prevent people from getting a clearance are the following:
-financial issues
-repeated violations of minor laws or a single major violation of the law
-foreign influence
-LYING during the interview and on your paperwork or failure to disclose **relevant** information

I recommend transferring your accounts to a U.S. account if possible just to make the process easier. I'm personally from Iran, so during my interview, I got grilled pretty hard, but I don't think it'll be the same for you since your Canadian. Good luck brother!
94F OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20141230

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Notinarmy12
Embryo

Post by Notinarmy12 »

Ok THANKYOU for the info. Hopefully someone can confirm this on here as I see your in the same boat as me, I leave in 10 days for OSUT :)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Army12 wrote:Ok THANKYOU for the info. Hopefully someone can confirm this on here as I see your in the same boat as me, I leave in 10 days for OSUT :)
What he is telling you is correct. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

carbonlife4010 wrote:You only need a Secrete clearance if you get OPT 40. You do not need a clearance if you're airborne. What country are you from? Depending on which country you're from, it may impact your ability to get a TS, but you should still be able to get a Secrete level clearance, BUT you must be a US citizen first. You have to become naturalized, enlisting in the Army will be a positive factor they'll consider when you apply for your clearance down the road. It will show a sign of loyalty to the U.S. as long as you agree to forfeit any foreign passports and affiliations. If you have any property or investments in a foreign country, don't waste your time applying for a clearance. Also, make sure you have good credit with no outstanding severe debt or any bills in collections. Another factor, if your family members are not citizens, it may also hinder your ability to get a clearance as well. They will ask if your parents and/or siblings are citizens of the U.S. or not.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Navid
Shut the fuck up and get back to doing PT or studying. You haven't even started Day 01 of basic.

Jesus fucking Christ what is going on around here. Why don't we just put RANGER under your name and you can skip over all the training. Fucking brain child. Beat your goddamned face.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Army12 wrote:I leave soon for OSUT 11x, I was unable to get option 40 due to the fact Im not a citizen so I couldn't get a Secret/TS clearnce, I do have airbourne on my contract tho. Once I become a citizen ill try agian, my only concern is that being from a different country, as a infantryman would it be hard to get a TS clearnce becuase of that? Or do I only need a Sercret clearnce as a infantryman?
And you need to change your goddamned screen name. You haven't seen Day 01 yet either. PM a Mod with a new name because now they'll have to change it for you. You owe them for not reading the goddamned rules of the site.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Notinarmy12
Embryo

Post by Notinarmy12 »

Sorry to have offended you sir, I'll request a change right now. Since you are a Ranger, could you answer my question as you would have more knowledge on the subject.

Return to “Recruitment Process”