Introduction- Brandon

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Br0nco419
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: Introduction- Brandon

Post by Br0nco419 »

Roger, Ranger Fuego. I Joined crossfit and am working a lot on the run. Will post PT updates every 2 weeks.
13F Opt. 40
Ship Date: 20150519

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Br0nco419 wrote:Roger, Ranger Fuego. I Joined crossfit and am working a lot on the run. Will post PT updates every 2 weeks.
You know who loves Crossfit? Chiropractors.

Careful with Crossfit do it wrong and best case is a back injury, worst case you eat a steel bar and weights.

I recommend "Convict Conditioning" to supplement. Also Xfit does Jack for your run times, consider swimming for cardio occasionally (with an added benefit to pass the CWST).
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

rangertough wrote:
Br0nco419 wrote:Roger, Ranger Fuego. I Joined crossfit and am working a lot on the run. Will post PT updates every 2 weeks.
You know who loves Crossfit? Chiropractors.

Careful with Crossfit do it wrong and best case is a back injury, worst case you eat a steel bar and weights.

I recommend "Convict Conditioning" to supplement. Also Xfit does Jack for your run times, consider swimming for cardio occasionally (with an added benefit to pass the CWST).
Any Olympic Lifting Coach or Power Lifting Coach will tell you that Clean and jerks, Snatches, Deadlift, and their many variations should be done at lowing reps for about 5 sets to be effective and not get hurt. To do 20 plus reps of these exercises in one sitting, for multiple sets, is asking for trouble. Maybe not now but sometime. Anything that focuses on pushups, pullups, situps, and running is what you what to do. If you want to add weight, go heavy with low reps, build up your strength, save the pushups, pullups and situps for the high reps.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Br0nco419
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Br0nco419 »

Roger, Rangertough. I Will be sure to be very careful with crossfit. My coaches are very strict when it comes to form and safety, Ill be sure to not try to over exert myself when doing those workouts. I also will mix a lot of swimming in with my runs. Thankfully my gym has a pool! Roger, Ranger Jd. Ill definitely keep that in mind and watch myself when it comes to the highreps in crossfit.

Also Pt scores as of today:

Pushups: 53

Situps: 64

2mile: 17:41
13F Opt. 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Br0nco419 wrote:Roger, Rangertough. I Will be sure to be very careful with crossfit. My coaches are very strict when it comes to form and safety, Ill be sure to not try to over exert myself when doing those workouts. I also will mix a lot of swimming in with my runs. Thankfully my gym has a pool! Roger, Ranger Jd. Ill definitely keep that in mind and watch myself when it comes to the highreps in crossfit.

Also Pt scores as of today:

Pushups: 53

Situps: 64

2mile: 17:41
Add pull-ups ro your workout. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Br0nco419
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Br0nco419 »

Roger, Ranger Jim. I have been doing Pull ups as well. I can only do 2 unassisted perfect pullups at the moment. But I am working on them.
13F Opt. 40

Br0nco419
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Br0nco419 »

Hello Rangers, I know it has been a while since I have last posted an update. I have been very busy knocking out my classes before I ship and doing my extracurriculars. I graduate the leadership program at my college tomorrow. That's no excuse and Ill do 50 pushups for the lack on initiative. I have been consistent with my workouts and my overall condition has improved. (Still have a lot of work to do) I leave in just under 90 days. Im down to 168 from 180. My PT scores are as of today:

Situps: 68

Pushups: 55

Pullups: 5 (wide palms away) 8 (palms in)

2mile run: 15:31

4.5mile run: 37:16

I'm working on the run and that was the furthest I have gotten so far, I will post my official 5mile time with in a week. I have been focusing on increasing my distance so that my 2mile time will also increase, or at least that's what I've been told my runners. I also expect my times to improve with the loss of this extra 15 pounds I have yet to lose. Im working hard rangers, unfortunately I got into lifting with a partner every day expecting that my pushups and situps would improve more. But I learned a lesson.... only way to increase the push ups...... do more pushups. I have just under 90 days Rangers, any advice?
13F Opt. 40

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Run faster. Run harder. Run more. Every chance you get, run as fast as you can. And unless your new gym buddy is going to take the PT test for you, knock off the weights and start doing the actual exercises required for the APFT, including dead hang pull ups.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

No more reverse grip pull ups, palms facing away, from a dead hang. You're not pushing hard enough on your runs. If you truly wanted an under 14 minute mile, you would have it. You need to push harder on your runs. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”