Updated Introduction: Navid

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Updated Introduction: Navid

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Navid and I've made a post on the introduction section before, but I wanted to give an update after going to MEPS and officially enlisting!!

I'm 23 years old, I have my college degree in Biology, I can speak Farsi (Persian) along with 3 other dialects of it including the Afghan version as well. I originally wanted a 35F option 40 contract, but I was turned down from even trying to get it because I was born in Iran (I've been a naturalized U.S. citizen for most of my life starting from when I was 6 years old) and army command said they didn't want to go through the Top Secret clearance process for an ex Iranian national...I understand their point, but I can't help but be a little offended because I've always and only considered myself an American and renounced my citizenship to Iran as soon as my family and I fled persecution since we were not Muslims.

All that aside, I was set on option 40 at all costs...so I got a slot as a 94F option 40 and will be entering as a SPC (E-4)!! The process at MEPS went very smoothly and I enlisted on Oct. 21st and am due to ship out in December 29th for Basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. I cannot wait for Airborne and RASP, this is a long term dream coming true to earn my place in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Thank you all for your service and amazing advice on this forum. I'm looking for a mentor that can guide me and help me prepare myself more before I ship out. Any Rangers willing to take me under their wing?

Thank you,
Navid
94F OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20141230

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Re: Updated Introduction: Navid

Post by Lefty »

Your ambition is admirable but you have a long tough road ahead of you. Others will be along shortly to address your introduction.

One question you must answer - why do you want to be a Ranger?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Navid, we have talked before. Please answer Ranger Lefty's question. You will be getting a PM shortly to resolve your need for a mentor. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Ranger Lefty and Ranger Jim,

Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking forward to receiving a pm regarding a mentor. As to the reason why I want to be a Ranger...:

I was once a refugee of religious persecution who had fled Iran years after the Islamic Republic took over. My family and I are not Muslims and we were persecuted heavily, denied any education, work, and any opportunity to carry out our basic human rights. My family fought peacefully because we knew better than to fight hate with its reflection. We moved frequently to avoid persecution, which often failed. Such persecution included burning down our houses, throwing stones at my siblings and I in public places, public hangings, torture, etc. We finally fled the country and lived in Pakistan for 3 years in absolute hell-like conditions until the U.N. finally accepted us as refugees to enter the U.S. in 1997. Since then, I've discovered my basic human rights by being denied them throughout my childhood. We became proud citizens of a country that granted us freedom, opportunity, education, and most importantly...a life without fear; all of which have once been denied. It's a story I don't share often, but it's key to understand my decision to serve.

In a time of global conflicts and current atrocities plaguing the middle east and the world, I know too well what's at stake. I look at the headlines and see the story of my family without the opportunity of living in this amazing country. All those kids executed, persecuted, and living in utmost fear in the middle east under the attack of ISIS and like-minded extremists remind me of the life I was lucky to escape; the luck that many don't have. These are the events, like 9/11, that define my generation. Much like how WWII defined a previous generation. You either stand in the sidelines or you become a part of history.

This country and way of life is worth protecting. Being better isn't good enough, I want to be among the best. I want to be in the Force that enforces global security. Rangers Lead the Way!!
94F OPT. 40

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Well said Navid, well said indeed. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Wow, good luck young man.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
carbonlife4010
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by carbonlife4010 »

Rangers,

I wanted to post a quick update. I am set to ship out in roughly 25 days! I will start a Letters from School thread shortly to post my progress along the way. Never been so excited in my life. Lets do this!

Never going to quit,
Navid
94F OPT. 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”