Fastroping

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Saltbitch wrote:DS, did I understand you correctly in that multiple guys can rappel down the same rope, at the same time? I know that normal rappel devices (racks, figure 8's, etc) will actually make the guy brake if weighted from below (belay, duh...). How does this device accomplish the task?

Fastroping can blow me.....along with whomever invented it. :x
I would rather fast rope than jump.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I would rather jump. It just seemed safer to me. There were too many ways to get hurt fast roping. You also had to depend on everyone else in your chalk doing it right too despite too much weight and equipment.

Desert Sloth, do you remember fast roping in England near Hereford on top of that training building? Then we fast roped down to that balcony. Spence almost went over the edge of that balcony.

That was the best helecopter ride I ever had. If you know the city you will know who we were training with. I think the pilots were showing off and trying to make us sick.

Ranger2
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

It really was the best deployment. We partied our asses off. I remember one day the SFC Deitrich who was the acting 1st Sargent and CO were so drunk that PT was pushed to 0800 then 0900 and then called it off.

The training was great, being OPFOR for their SERE school was great, we got to shoot in their kill house.

We were supposed to jump with their Para's but the winds were too high and we just partied for 5 straight days in Hereford. It was like spring break.

Everyone was getting laid too. I bet there are a few Ranger babies growing up over there.

I remember walking back to the base after I dropped off a British Lady and the security stopped and asked if I needed a ride. I said sure since I was walking in the wrong direction and very drunk. I opened the back door and there was about 4 passed out Rangers in the back seat. It was funny.

I also remember that two Rangers climbed the church steeple that they were repairing in town too. I am pretty sure they were arrested.

Ranger2
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

blacksrt4 wrote:Do you go to fastrope school, or is it part of air assault school?
I just love readin all these DEP'ers questions.

Although, this time we all got to learn about whats on the drafting table. However I can't EVER recall a time where PT was called off for any damn reason! I would almost bet that was the first and last time they ever did so Ranger2
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I am sure it was the only time it was ever called off except when someone would zonk it.

Ranger2
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Desert Sloth wrote:NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER! Multiple dudes can be hooked up simultaneously. BUT CANNOT RAPPEL at the same time. This has to be done from a top mount rigging system. With 2 Ropes tied in with two Rappers attached to each rope...you can have 8 guys on the ground in seconds. Once the first guy on the rope flies down, the second just shifts his weight out and waits the 2-3 seconds for the 1st fella to hit the ground and relieve the slack and bam! you are sliding earthbound.

That is the concept.....fast, controlled and TONS SAFER than fastroping.
Thanks for the clarification! It sounds like the next evolution of insert skills (as far as roping goes). Thanks for sharing.

Fastroping sucks the snot-end of my fuckstick. :x
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

H8 Train wrote:We refer to it as "His and Her Jump wings" or the "Bullwinkle Badge" :lol:
:lol: I love you man... Still crying...

Ummmm... We were at Campbell for a Gunsmoke, my FSNCO asked if anyone would be willing to go to Air Assault school. Ummmm. I watched as my Ranger buddy raised his hand. (DOH) Needless to say, He went to "Air Assault School" as soon as we got back to Benning.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Bravo57 wrote:
H8 Train wrote:We refer to it as "His and Her Jump wings" or the "Bullwinkle Badge" :lol:
:lol: I love you man... Still crying...

Ummmm... We were at Campbell for a Gunsmoke, my FSNCO asked if anyone would be willing to go to Air Assault school. Ummmm. I watched as my Ranger buddy raised his hand. (DOH) Needless to say, He went to "Air Assault School" as soon as we got back to Benning.
Got some sling load training in his sleeping bag hung from the barracks. :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Southoftheborder wrote:For heavily wooded areas (or those with lots of obstacles), I think that rappelling is pretty much the right way to go. Even more so when you start ramping up the gear/weight.

As soon as this insert technique was exported to the grunts and the number of people getting on a rope and their individual weight increased (both due -- IMO -- to the unavoidable case of the dumbass which comes into play with the leaders of these poor dudes), I think I began to hear of injuries -- some serious....
[/quote]

We roped (fastrope) into a heavily wooded area....once. :x :? Two fully loaded MH-47's worth of Rangers combat ineffective within 60 seconds. So much for impressing the OC's at JRTC....
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Saltbitch wrote:We roped (fastrope) into a heavily wooded area....once. :x :? Two fully loaded MH-47's worth of Rangers combat ineffective within 60 seconds. So much for impressing the OC's at JRTC....
Was that the same incident where the 3/75 commo NCO got killed?
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Roger.
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Salt,

PM inbound
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95