MY LIFE AS A CONVICTED GUN OFFENDER WHO DID NOTHING WRONG

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

MY LIFE AS A CONVICTED GUN OFFENDER WHO DID NOTHING WRONG

Post by Flesh Thorn »

At 6 AM, the sky outside my apartment is still purple-black. It’s too early. I stagger out of bed and stand under a scalding jet of water in the shower, trying to remember where I’ve been, where I am, and where I need to be. Oklahoma. Austin. Houston. In less than eight hours I have to climb a stage and tell a roomful of strangers my story. As far as stories go, it’s pretty interesting, I guess. It’s got thrills, heartbreak, what technically counts as crime, and even a little bit of vindication. But telling it wears me out. Living through it was more than enough.

Three years ago this month, thanks mostly to poorly written laws and a vindictive judge, I turned 27 while incarcerated in Mid-State Correctional Facility in Fort Dix, New Jersey.

I got sentenced to seven years in prison for legally owning guns. I had purchased them in Colorado and brought them with me to New Jersey, home to some of the harshest gun laws in the country, where I moved to be closer to my young son. I complied with all of the regulations, but one day the police searched my car and charged me with unlawful possession of a weapon—even though my handguns were locked, unloaded, and in my trunk. The court said it was on me to prove that I wasn’t breaking any laws, which obviously was very difficult. When Reason magazine covered my case, it wrote, “Even the jurors who convicted him seem to have been looking for a reason to acquit him. But the judge gave them little choice.”

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: MY LIFE AS A CONVICTED GUN OFFENDER WHO DID NOTHING WRON

Post by Baseplate »

This is why when I chose to move I took each state's gun laws into consideration before picking a place to live.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

In the same vein as that story, California confiscates legally owned weapons due to the crime of not paying your toll in a timely manner...

http://downtrend.com/travis/california- ... ased-guns/
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Guns frighten me! I do not own a gun, nor have I ever owned a gun. Guns should be banned everywhere so innocent people won't be killed.........are you reading this Eric?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:Guns frighten me! I do not own a gun, nor have I ever owned a gun. Guns should be banned everywhere so innocent people won't be killed.........are you reading this Eric?
Why not? He reads everything else we write.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Slowpoke wrote:Guns frighten me! I do not own a gun, nor have I ever owned a gun. Guns should be banned everywhere so innocent people won't be killed.........are you reading this Eric?
I actually lost all of my guns in a freak boating accident. It was a real shame.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Sold all at flea market except a worn out single barrel shotgun to be used for firing into air just to scare off intruders.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Sold all at flea market except a worn out single barrel shotgun to be used for firing into air just to scare off intruders.
On New Years Eve!
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Abducted by aliens I was, while I was en route to a "Guns for Money" event to support orphaned baby sharks. Kept my guns, sent me back. No one ever believes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IEDmagnet wrote:Abducted by aliens I was, while I was en route to a "Guns for Money" event to support orphaned baby sharks. Kept my guns, sent me back. No one ever believes me.
You, too?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “The Mosh Pit”