APFT Failures during EIB Testing?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: APFT Failures during EIB Testing?

Post by IEDmagnet »

Hell, I was a blade runner but got mine. I saw quite a few people bolo the PT test out of spite. I thought that was piss poor non-motivation above anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IEDmagnet wrote:Hell, I was a blade runner but got mine. I saw quite a few people bolo the PT test out of spite. I thought that was piss poor non-motivation above anything else.
That reflects my experience. Everyone undergoes the test. I earned mine while I was a PL in the 82d.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
dogface11b
Ranger

Post by dogface11b »

I went through EIB testing in 2004. The way my unit ran it at the time, you couldn't even go through the EIB testing lanes until you had passed the PT test, shot expert on the rifle range, and passed the ruck march. It was run like a training event, so if you already had the EIB and were a grader, you still did the ruck march, pt test, and rifle qual as training. Some guys were on their way out of the Army when EIB started. Some were ETS'ing, others getting put out. Those guys usually didn't care enough to pass the PT test or any of the other events. Hope this gives you some insight. Got mine, 04'! :D
1/30 INF 3/3 ID 2001'-06

C. Co 2-152 Cav (ABN)(LRSC)-2008-2010

RS Class 05-09
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

One of the interesting things about the EIB is that the EIB streamer on the company guidon is authorized when over 65% of the 11B soldiers in the unit have either the CIB or the EIB. When I was first in the Army, we displayed the CIB streamer on the guidon, but of course we were in Viet-Nam, so it was a no-brainer. When I got out of OCS and went to the 82d, the EIB became a big deal. Frankly, when I earned my EIB, I think that my CIB was counted too. The Company Cdr and the Bn Cdr wanted strong OERs, I guess.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I had my EIB first, of course.....so I just tell everyone my EIB matured and grew a beard.

I remember getting my EIB was a milestone in '97. Felt like I accomplished something. Of course, more to topic, I just was disgusted with the people who bolo'd to get out of train up....but the joke was on them. The CoC made them train up anyway. Bunch of whiny bastages on the lanes with no chance whatsoever to earn it.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rising Ray, what have you learned?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't be too cynical!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Back in the 90s, Benning ran an installation EIB, so all the 11 series guys from post went to it. 11th and 29th Regt guys, ITB types (Drills too if they needed theirs), Kelly Hill. Two or three weeks of train up, INDIVIDUALLY, then test.

Last time I payed any attention, I want to say big Army had about 25% pass rate, and Regt had 75-80% rate.

Here's what I think's the difference, based on what I've heard around the Army:

1. EIB stands for "everyone in Bn". Rangers excel. It's what we do, so you strive for your EIB. No Ranger wants to explain why he's not wearing one. Ask how many soft skill batt boys have one they earned but can't wear. How often do you see that out in the big Army?

2. Ranger graders don't badge protect. They grade to standard, no more, no less. Candidates know the standard by the time they test, because their SL ensured it.

3. Ranger leaders train their soldiers during the train up. Rangers coach their soldiers in the holding area right up until the individual goes into the task test. We didn't say get on the bus and go to EIB for a couple I weeks.

In BN we, as leaders, would walk our squads out onto the lanes from 9-5, then work what we needed to after that in the company area. The Co supported EIB, period. Weapons and tools were out as long as they needed to be, daily. Period. As a SL/TL walking my squad's soldiers, I focused their training to achieve success. I coached them between and before each event.

I walked two squads, and had a 13/14 go rate. And only because I had one kid who threw like a fucking girl, and couldn't get out of his own head long enough to throw like a man at the grenade station.

EIB execution is different than what I went through, but I doubt leaders quit caring and influencing their Rangers during testing.

That's what really makes the difference to me.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

There is a reason we called it "Everybody In Battalion". Rangers were the only unit authorized to conduct battalion organic testing. Most other units were organized by brigade.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Silverback wrote:There is a reason we called it "Everybody In Battalion". Rangers were the only unit authorized to conduct battalion organic testing. Most other units were organized by brigade.
I agree that it deffinately made it easier for Rangers to pass EIB. More 1-on-1 instruction time, cadre that gave a shit and a smaller total foot print that allowed close monitoring of the events by the CSM and 1SG's.

I also think that was "bowing to reality". If BN had tried to integrate thier EIB into one of the other units on post no Ranger would have passed, even if they had integrated BN pax into the cadre. Ego alone on both sides would have made it a disaster. Not to mention just trying to sync the schedules of a unit that deploys off post all the time with a unit that goes to JRTC every couple of years would plain suck.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”