Introduction - Boziman

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Boziman
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Boziman

Post by Boziman »

Hello Rangers, my name is Boziman and Im 21 yrs old going into the Army with an 11x option 40 contract, shipping on Sept 3 2013. I grew up as a military brat on several different bases (USAF) so joining up has been something I've always wanted to do. I've spent the last month or so working my ass off to get in shape in preparation; running miles several times a week, loads of pushups, situps, pullups ect as well as learning how to swim and tread water which is actually my biggest concern atm, since I sink like a rock when trying to tread with anything less than a full breath of air in my lungs :!: so tips and pointers are appreciated.
11X OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20130903
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Boziman

Post by Jim »

Welcome Boziman, if you really want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com on their life journey. Read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Most of the questions you might have are probably answered at least once. The search feature, located on the top right side of this page is your friend. Your time here is limited, please begin by memorizing the Ranger Creed and start living by it. Within the next 72 hours, self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Boziman wrote: Hello Rangers,

as well as learning how to swim and tread water which is actually my biggest concern atm, since I sink like a rock when trying to tread with anything less than a full breath of air in my lungs :!: so tips and pointers are appreciated.
Just remember, do not attempt to go in deep water by your lonesome self - any attempts by should be in presence of someone who could save you.

Welcome.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Boziman
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Boziman »

PT Results:
Pushups: 60
Situps: 55
Pullups: 8
2 Mile Run: 14:30
11X OPT. 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Boziman wrote:PT Results:
1. Did you read BuckysGlock PM?
2. Did you follow my instructions in my welcome note?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Don't put too much emphasis on treading water. For the purposes of the water confidence test, as long as you can keep your head above water, using both your hands/arms and feet/legs to tread, have basic swimming abilities (which means having them at all), and don't panic, you will be fine.

If you can't even tread water while using both your hands and feet, then look into the eggbeater method. I personally am not very good at treading water without using my hands, and I was never able to get down the eggbeater method. However, it works really well for a lot of people.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Boziman

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Boziman
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Boziman »

Jim wrote:
Boziman wrote:PT Results:
1. Did you read BuckysGlock PM?
2. Did you follow my instructions in my welcome note?

Affirmative Ranger Jim.
Richard Cranium wrote:
Steadfast wrote:
excerpt of Boziman wrote: Hello Rangers,

as well as learning how to swim and tread water which is actually my biggest concern atm, since I sink like a rock when trying to tread with anything less than a full breath of air in my lungs :!: so tips and pointers are appreciated.
Just remember, do not attempt to go in deep water by your lonesome self - any attempts by should be in presence of someone who could save you.

Welcome.

Listen to Steadfast!

The key is to remain calm in the water. How do you do that? Learn how to swim utilizing different techniques. For instance, the sidestroke is a great technique for military applications but should no means be the only method of swimming that you learn. Consequently, "doggy paddling" isn't gonna do shit for you. Train smart, but do it safely.

Thanks for the tips Rangers. So far, staying on my back and using my hands and feet to stay afloat is whats worked best for me, but Im sure this isn't allowed in the 5 minute treading test? As far as actually swimming, I've got the basic motions down but I still need to work on breathing between strokes. Ill also do more research into the CSS.
11X OPT. 40
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Welcome to the site, Boziman!

I tend to be a bit of a "sinker" myself; I've always have enjoyed submerged swimming / surface diving more, too bad we don't have gills! When it comes to treading water, make sure you time your exhales to when both hands are stroking downwards. Other than that, just keep practicing to build your endurance.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Boziman, please post another self-administered PT test and include pull-ups. Your time here is limited. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”