TWA Flight 800 crash was not a fuel tank explosion ?

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

TWA Flight 800 crash was not a fuel tank explosion ?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The producers of an upcoming documentary on TWA Flight 800—which exploded and crashed into the waters off Long Island, N.Y., on July 17, 1996, killing all 230 people on board—claim to have proof that a missile caused the Paris-bound flight to crash. And six former investigators who took part in the film say there was a cover-up and want the case reopened.
"There was a lack of coordination and willful denial of information," Hank Hughes, a senior accident investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board, said on Wednesday during a conference call with reporters. "There were 755 witnesses. At no time was information provided by the witnesses shared by the FBI."
Jim Speer, an accident investigator at the time of the crash for the Airline Pilots Association, who sifted through the recovered wreckage in a hangar, said he discovered holes consistent with those that would be formed by a high-energy blast in the right wing. He requested it be tested for explosives. When the test came back positive, he said, he was "physically removed" from a room by two CIA agents.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/twa ... 24708.html
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: TWA Flight 800 crash was not a fuel tank explosion ?

Post by Jim »

Interesting comment:

He added: "We have no hidden agenda here—we just want the truth."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The government collecting out internet and phone communications was just a nut-job conspiracy theory until recently.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

There was a report back in 1996 that said a kid saw a smoke trail from the surface to the explosion. It was discounted because it was a kid. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I always thought it was some asshole with a shoulder-fired missile in a boat who brought that airliner down. I never bought the official cause from the NTSB.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CatFish Driver wrote:There was a report back in 1996 that said a kid saw a smoke trail from the surface to the explosion. It was discounted because it was a kid. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but I always thought it was some asshole with a shoulder-fired missile in a boat who brought that airliner down. I never bought the official cause from the NTSB.
Concure!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

After it happened, I remember seeing a guy on the news who claimed to be an Army Reserve pilot who was in the air at the time of the crash. He said he had flight experience in Vietnam & had seen aircraft shot down by SAMs, and insisted that is what brought the plane down.

Fast forward to 2009. I was at the local Cabela's with a friend and we were waiting in line, talking up various tin-foil hat conspiracy theories (rather loudly, too.) The guy behind us said he was a Navy vet, and said it was most certainly a missile, shot by one of our ships in an accident. He says he was on the ship that fired it, and watched it strike the plane. By his account, no one knew the plane was going to be in their airspace, or no one bothered to check. He said what better way to hide the evidence than have the guys responsible go down and bring it back.

Just sayin'..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:After it happened, I remember seeing a guy on the news who claimed to be an Army Reserve pilot who was in the air at the time of the crash. He said he had flight experience in Vietnam & had seen aircraft shot down by SAMs, and insisted that is what brought the plane down.

Fast forward to 2009. I was at the local Cabela's with a friend and we were waiting in line, talking up various tin-foil hat conspiracy theories (rather loudly, too.) The guy behind us said he was a Navy vet, and said it was most certainly a missile, shot by one of our ships in an accident. He says he was on the ship that fired it, and watched it strike the plane. By his account, no one knew the plane was going to be in their airspace, or no one bothered to check. He said what better way to hide the evidence than have the guys responsible go down and bring it back.

Just sayin'..

I just don't believe that story. No way could that be kept as a secret. I don't know how many people are on a ship but no way are all of them going to keep quiet. Can you imagine a few hundred sailors resposible for killing a bunch of people and not one of them had the moral compass to stand up in public and state "We fucked up" I can not. I am sure that guy was full of shit.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

http://www.nelsondemille.net/books/nigh ... sp?id=desc

This book is a fictional account of the TWA 800 saga. It is pretty intense.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Baseplate wrote:
The Sleepy Doc wrote:After it happened, I remember seeing a guy on the news who claimed to be an Army Reserve pilot who was in the air at the time of the crash. He said he had flight experience in Vietnam & had seen aircraft shot down by SAMs, and insisted that is what brought the plane down.

Just sayin'..

I just don't believe that story. No way could that be kept as a secret. I don't know how many people are on a ship but no way are all of them going to keep quiet. Can you imagine a few hundred sailors resposible for killing a bunch of people and not one of them had the moral compass to stand up in public and state "We fucked up" I can not. I am sure that guy was full of shit.
Concure. To keep silent all these years and then tell two strangers in line at Cabela's. Doesn't make any sense. Not saying it didn't happen Doc, just that it'd be hard to believe this guy.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

For the record, the dude in the Cabela's I took with a big fat pinch of salt. I mean c'mon, a missle? I remember the accountability we had going trough stinger training. Shit, if we didnt have an unfired missle to turn in, we damn sure better have the residue. Someone would have noticed one missing from the battery, no? Kinda tough to hide that.

The reserve helo pilot, though? That was on a news program at the time
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

It was an SA-2 fired from the grassy knoll.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”