Intro: Jimming

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: Intro: Jimming

Post by GoldCoast »

To this point you have demonstrated considerable potential. Who graded your PT tests?
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Ranger GoldCoast, I had to do the PT test on my own with a stopwatch. I made sure that my form was to military standards. Next time I will have a friend test me.
11X
SHIP DATE: 20150728
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Did my 2 mile: 13:27

I screwed up, no excuses. Pushing out 50 now.

This month I'm going to work harder and be more consistent with my runs. This won't happen again.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Never complain, never explain. That's why we call it training.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim.
11X
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Jimming wrote:Ranger GoldCoast, I had to do the PT test on my own with a stopwatch. I made sure that my form was to military standards. Next time I will have a friend test me.
Your recruiter should be willing to work on this with you.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger GoldCoast. The only problem is that my recruiter is 30-40 minutes away, and I can't afford to drive back and forth very frequently. I will look around to see if there are other recruiting stations closer to my house that I could go to for PT, however I don't know if I will be able to find one.

-Jamie
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Talk to your recruiter and ask if there are other DEPs or future soldiers in your area, and ask him to try to arrange for you to PT with them. Can't hurt to ask.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim. Actually, the new member, Ribby (Matt), is a friend of mine and is in the USNSCC with me. I referred him to this site, although it doesn't seem like he is actively using it, which I will take care of. I will do my PT tests with him from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Jamie
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:Roger Ranger Jim. Actually, the new member, Ribby (Matt), is a friend of mine and is in the USNSCC with me. I referred him to this site, although it doesn't seem like he is actively using it, which I will take care of. I will do my PT tests with him from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Jamie
Don't thank me for doing my job. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Ranger Left, I will go more in depth on why I want to be a Ranger and what motivates me to do it.

Since I already explained from 1st grade to 6th grade in good enough detail, I'll skip past that.

Going ahead to 7th grade. At the beginning of my 7th grade year, I realized that I was getting closer to my time of enlistment with only 6 years to go at that point. However, I really had no clue what I wanted to do in the military. I began to research. It started with my Marine Corps. I went through every job that I could find good information on, and found that the infantry was most appealing to me. It had everything I wanted; working on the ground and at the front, working hard and pushing myself everyday, teamwork, being a part of something much greater than myself, and a dozen more things. But there was something missing from the Marine Corps and the "regular" infantry that I really wanted, which was to work with people who were the best of the best. I didn't want to be somewhere that anybody could get to. I wanted to work with motivated people who wanted to be where they are. That lead me to researching special operations and the rest of the branches.

I went through each branch and spent several days worth of time reading everything I could find about the different special operations units in the US military. The Army was the last branch that I looked at, and when I got to the researching the Rangers I was hooked. The 75th Ranger Regiment was (and still is) everything that I wanted to do, and there were no cons. From the day that I found the Rangers, I have wanted to be one.

I spent the rest of the school year reading. I educated myself as much as I could. But I was extremely weak and skinny. I realized during my 8th grade year that I needed to fix that, because I didn't want to turn out like the quitters or failures that I read about in the books. I took motivation from this and began to PT on new years of 2011. My first scores if I remember correctly were around 5 pushups and 2 pullups. Situps were always easy for me though back then and were probably in the 50s. My run time for a 2-mile likely would have been in the range of 20 minutes. Obviously, my scores have gone way up, but I still know that I can and will do better. Since 7th grade I have wanted to be a Ranger and have researched all that I can, and since 8th grade I have been PTing to prepare myself.

Now, when talking about what motivates me to want to be a Ranger, there are only a couple of things. The first is the basic desire to be a Ranger. If I want to work with the best, I have to be the best. And I can't be the best unless I push myself far beyond my "limits". The other thing that motivates me is this quote; “Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn’t worry about what workout to do—-his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn’t care ‘how hard it is’; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the ‘Cause.’ Now, who wants to quit?” Not only does this quote remind me of why I want to be working with the best, but it also reminds me that there is always someone better than me, and that I need to work hard everyday to earn my future.

Hopefully this fills in any gaps that were left out in my previous post, and I apologize if some of this is repetitive or unclear because I really am not very good at telling stories.
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

*Ranger Lefty
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:*Ranger Lefty
Inattention to detail. Did you want to say something to Ranger Lefty but failed to check your message before hitting the submit button?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Yes Ranger Jim. No excuse, pushing out 50 now.
11X
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Good articulation of your reasoning for wanting to be a Ranger.

As for the True Believer - As Jim will testify, the True Believer was our adversary in VN and has been the adversary ever since. If you keep that quote in mind, it will serve you well.

Never quit.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”