US B-2 stealth bombers in South Korea drill

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

US B-2 stealth bombers in South Korea drill

Post by Steadfast »

The US has flown two B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea as part of a military exercise.

The US said it demonstrated its forces could conduct "long-range, precision strikes quickly and at will".

The move follows strong rhetoric from Pyongyang and comes a day after it cut a military hotline with the South.

BBC story
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: US B-2 stealth bombers in South Korea drill

Post by Steadfast »

Guess Dennis Rodman's trip was to get the next crisis going.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't let a crisis go to waste.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Without violating OPSEC, do we know of any real NK countermeasures to the B2?

Despite some people's best efforts, fortunately the US still has some formidable platforms in the event the only fat person in NK tries to throw a punch.

The NK military may be motivated, callous, and indifferent to hardship, but they are still human. The durability coefficient of flesh to brass, lead, and steel remains a constant in favor of the latter.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Lefty wrote:Without violating OPSEC, do we know of any real NK countermeasures to the B2?

Despite some people's best efforts, fortunately the US still has some formidable platforms in the event the only fat person in NK tries to throw a punch.

The NK military may be motivated, callous, and indifferent to hardship, but they are still human. The durability coefficient of flesh to brass, lead, and steel remains a constant in favor of the latter.
I have a hard time seeing NK (or anyone else, including ourselves) having the capability to see a B2, F22 or F35 (if they can get that debacle straight). The B2 strikes from really high and has the radar cross section of a flight of birds.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I recall someone around Serbia "got lucky" and shot down a F 117 in 1999 so ............
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Were it not for all the innocents who would suffer, I would love to see that fat kid try something.
And I would pay money to see the expression on his face when the US and ROKs hit back....."WTF was THAT?"
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Lefty wrote:Without violating OPSEC, do we know of any real NK countermeasures to the B2?

They probably don't have any real countermeasures against a B2, other than maybe dumb luck with 57mm flak, SA-2's, or a MiG pilot that accidently spots one.

The biggest problem with the nK forces is that they have a shitload of well-dug in artillery, and plenty of AAA/SAMs; even with all our whizz-bang equipment, nK has enough of both Arty & AAA that it will take awhile to wear them down.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CloakAndDagger wrote:

They probably don't have any real countermeasures against a B2, other than maybe dumb luck with 57mm flak, SA-2's, or a MiG pilot that accidently spots one.

The biggest problem with the nK forces is that they have a shitload of well-dug in artillery, and plenty of AAA/SAMs; even with all our whizz-bang equipment, nK has enough of both Arty & AAA that it will take awhile to wear them down.
Amen, brother!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Lefty wrote:Were it not for all the innocents who would suffer, I would love to see that fat kid try something.
And I would pay money to see the expression on his face when the US and ROKs hit back....."WTF was THAT?"
But with this administration and all the limitations that would go with such a strike, would it end up like Somalia?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

rgrokelley wrote: But with this administration and all the limitations that would go with such a strike, would it end up like Somalia?
Sadly, I fear you are correct. There is already a record of abandoning those who were placed in harm's way.

Should something happen, are US forces required to wait for command authority? I heard a report this morning that the current agreement between US & S. Korea requires US authorization before S. Korea can respond to a N. Korean attack. Failure to react swiftly would be disastrous.

I am reminded of the passage in Shirer's "Rise And Fall of the Third Reich" where he described the opening moments of the German invasion of the Soviet Union. The first radio transmissions from the Russian border were "We are being attacked. What should we do?" Back from Moscow came the reply "You must be insane. And why are your messages not in code?"
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

What do ya'll think about the possibility that Iran and NK would conduct simultaneous strikes on Israel and SK/Hawaii?

There's talk that Ahmadenijad (sp?) has been to Nk several times recently.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

US sent two F-22s to South Korea this week.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “The News Dump”