Ammo shortage is an illusion

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Ammo shortage is an illusion

Post by Jim »

TC204 wrote:He has a point, and I myself have never purchased from gougers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjVqZ_--0Cs

If the second part is like he tells it then the gun stores are raping us too, why sell it from your shelves at normal price when you can rape people on gun broker?
Amen, brother.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I have found that there are several stores in my area that have taken steps to try to cut back on gougers. The down side is that they don't allow anyone to buy more than one box of a given caliber or more than five boxes total. They have not raised the price either. I stop by ocassionally and have been abke to buy some of what I need.

Also I have been a regular buyer from Midway and Brownels and they haven't spiked their prices. Midway has been limiting how much you can buy.

Even through this "shortage" I have been able to buy at normal prices. Just last week I got a call from Dunhams on a rain check I had for two 440 round cans of 7.62x54 that I picked up for $89.95 each. Not hoarding it between the Mosin-Nagants I own and have gifted to my grandsons and son-in-laws we can chew up a few rounds fairly quickly. It does make for a fun afternoon with a decent caliber at a great price. Hard to beat the value of quality family time.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Just looking through the local classifieds, gunbroker.com, etc, I think the guy in the above video may have a valid point.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Just looking through the local classifieds, gunbroker.com, etc, I think the guy in the above video may have a valid point.
No question about it. Forgot to mention that here are stores in my area I will never buy from again if I can possibly avoid it.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

People are peddling .22 LR in my AO like it is crack.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Flesh Thorn wrote:People are peddling .22 LR in my AO like it is crack.
No joke, this is how some of the knuckleheads around here sell/purchase their ammo, they buy it just like they would a nickel bag or a dime bag on the street.

Hit a few places in the past to grab up a bad guy for work only to find out he's also selling plastic baggies containing different caliber ammo in 5, 10, or even 20 rd bags. I wonder how their prices are these days, must be making a fucking killing.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Bushwack »

I live close to Cabalas. Immediately after Sandyhook, firearms, ammo and reloading supplies flew off the shelves. There was not anything available at all in a few short days. Supplies are starting to come back. Hunting calibers are close to normal levels again. Hand gun ammo is starting to recover, .45 ACP, .38, .357, 9MM, .40, .44 are all back on the shelves. 22LR and any .223 are still not available. Cabalas did start to impose a two box limit (100 Rounds) on .22 LR.

Reloading supplies are still sparse. Primers are worth their weight in gold.

It seems like everyone from New York, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland as well as PA residents panicked and grabbed anything they could get their hands on.

Background checks reached a record 4 to 5 hour wait time. This has gone down dramatically.

The manufacturers reaped an end of year sales record! Now that most of the panic buys are over I believe all supplies of firearms and ammunition will slowly return to normal levels. It remains to be seen if prices will stay artificially high.
SP6/SSG, B 5/6 ADA 76-79; 95th Svc Co 80-82; 523 Maint. Co. 82-84
Proud of him and those like him.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Checked the local Walmart here - ammo shelves are mostly empty except for the most popular .30 cal. hunting rounds. Signs say purchases are limited to 3 boxes per day.
Did a double take when I thought I saw an AR on the rack - turns out it was one of those .22 cal. jobs.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

I learned my lesson after the first election. I know I have said it on here more than once...RELOAD!! I just cranked out 1000 rounds of 5.56 for my dad, I have another 2k I am processing now. Not to mention, I load for all the other pistol calibers we shoot as well. Besides what is in my safe, (maybe 500 of each caliber) I have enough components to load at lease 1k of each pistol caliber we shoot (9, .40 & .45). I have components to load for my hunting rifles as well but not in any great quantity, no need to.

I will say this, I load in my garage in the winter because its to effing hot during the summer. That is the reason I have components to load, because I buy all summer. You can't buy a primer or powder right now either.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
Torro1/75
Inprocessing

Post by Torro1/75 »

Ammo shortage is not an illusion. Try checking out Midway or any of the local gun shops up in the American Northwest. One benefit, I was able to sell most of my cool hardware and associated ammo and get out of all debt. Figured all I really needed was one rifle, one shotgun, one pistol. Time to "go light."

God Bless the Republic
Lomack27
Tadpole

Post by Lomack27 »

There is a "buyer" induced shortage.

Thanks,
Lomack27

Return to “The Mosh Pit”