New technology will allow NYPD to detect concealed weapons

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

New technology will allow NYPD to detect concealed weapons

Post by Steadfast »

The NYPD will soon be able to detect concealed weapons using a new technology, still in the development stages, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said today.
“The device reads the specific form of natural energy emitted by people and objects known as terahertz,” Kelly said at the Police Foundation’s annual breakfast.
“If something is obstructing the flow of radiation, for example a weapon, the device will highlight that object.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/23/ ... z2IpuCGkxc
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RangerX
Ranger

Re: New technology will allow NYPD to detect concealed weapo

Post by RangerX »

This is ripe for social engineering.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Don'tt know why yet need it sine they can do no warrant random frisks whenever they want.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

KW Driver wrote:Don'tt know why yet need it sine they can do no warrant random frisks whenever they want.
I have wondered if I have been teaching this right... with the Terry search (Terry vs Ohio), the police can do a pat down search... to look for weapons only. Does there have to be some probably cause in this? For instance, could a cop randomly stop folks on the street and search them, say in a mall, or outside a nice resturaunt, or do they need to have some sort of cause?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Don't know, don't care, but as I understand it, a NYC cop can tell you to grab some wall, and away he goes.

Whatever their excuse is, it's bullshit. but congrats NY, you get what you vote for.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

rgrokelley wrote:
KW Driver wrote:Don'tt know why yet need it sine they can do no warrant random frisks whenever they want.
I have wondered if I have been teaching this right... with the Terry search (Terry vs Ohio), the police can do a pat down search... to look for weapons only. Does there have to be some probably cause in this? For instance, could a cop randomly stop folks on the street and search them, say in a mall, or outside a nice resturaunt, or do they need to have some sort of cause?

No, a LEO cannot stop you randomly and pat you down for weapons under Terry. There has to be "reasonable articulable suspicion" (note that is less than Probable Cause) that the person to be patted down is armed.

Example being a subject in a known gang neighborhood, wearing affiliated colors, acting in a manner consistent with gang involvement (I'm shortening this for content as I am on my phone but the general gist is conveyed) is fair game for Terry as a LEO could provide articulable reasons to believe the person was armed.

John Q. Public walking down the a street is not Terry worthy. A whole other issue with Terry is the scope of the search, but that's a whole new thread.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “The News Dump”