Navy SEALs Punished for OPSEC Violations

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Navy SEALs Punished for OPSEC Violations

Post by cams »

Sorry if that brought up bad memories for you Sir.

It was a normal everyday feeling and fear as we grew up in Batt during those days. It has helped mold who and what I am as a person now, having that harsh discipline (though not to the extreme as you explained, we felt it would be so at times) respect and fear of our NCO's.
Last edited by cams on November 15th, 2012, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lefty wrote:
cams wrote: I remember being a young private and thinking that if we stepped out of line in any way, we would literally be beaten to death.
This line has haunted me since it was posted. I have decided to comment.

Long ago in a place far away, this literally happened to three VN BDQs who broke discipline and were beaten to death in front of a BN formation. The BN CO stated to the formation words to the effect "This is how we punish those who would steal from the US advisors".
Theft from US advisors was commonplace in regular ARVN units. The BDQ Group CO, LTC Sam, knew this was one of the best ways to alienate US advisors and enforced discipline severely.
According to my former teammates and confirmed by the Group interpreter (SGT Dong, who is alive and well in TX today), LTC Sam instructed his officers to protect the US advisors with their lives. If US advisors were WIA or KIA, according to LTC Sam, then there must be BDQ WIA or KIA proportionately, or else he would ensure there were proportionate casualties. "If a US advisor is hurt, then a BDQ will be hurt" was his standing order.
Soon after I arrived at 2nd BDQ Group, I learned I need not fear anything from those I accompanied in the field. IMO, I felt safer than a company grade officer in a US line unit.

Hijack over. Return to the original thread.
Karl, in my discussion with one of the current AD Sergeants who was detailed as an advisor in Afganistan -- Blue on green was never a problem for the Ranger Advisors.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

cams wrote:Sorry if that brought up bad memories for you Sir.
Oh, crumps - fahgeddabouddit. Certainly isn't the worst of bad memories, just one of a series.

My first ex-wife, however...............
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Lefty wrote:
cams wrote:Sorry if that brought up bad memories for you Sir.
Oh, crumps - fahgeddabouddit. Certainly isn't the worst of bad memories, just one of a series.

My first ex-wife, however...............
:lol: Roger that Sir. Thanks.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Lefty wrote:
cams wrote: I remember being a young private and thinking that if we stepped out of line in any way, we would literally be beaten to death.
This line has haunted me since it was posted. I have decided to comment.

Long ago in a place far away, this literally happened to three VN BDQs who broke discipline and were beaten to death in front of a BN formation. The BN CO stated to the formation words to the effect "This is how we punish those who would steal from the US advisors".
Theft from US advisors was commonplace in regular ARVN units.
In NOV 69, 4 Army Ranger LRRP teams were sent to ARVN base - Hard Times (in Mountains near An Khe) because they were getting shelled nightly from the NVA from nearby hills. We were to stay on Hard Times for the night and run our missions to nearby hills (the next day) to the 4 points on the compass. We were given a place to store our backpacks. After walking around I came back to where my backpack was & every backpack was emptied of their content with things missing. I managed to grab 1 ARVN and had him take me to the TOC - and bitched some of our equipment was taken - (Man was I pissed and vocal). After about 30 minutes I returned & not only was all our stuff returned but stuff we didn't have before.

We conducted our missions finding where the shelling was coming from but thefts like these make you remember the shit-head ARVN who couldn't conduct their own LRRP mission which we did for them. I never wanted to interact with them again after that & as luck had I never did.

Also sorry for the Hijack.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”