Afghan war must be over!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Afghan war must be over!

Post by rgrokelley »

There is a neighbor, who lives down the road that used to have a sign out by his flagpole. There was no flag on his flagpole, just a wooden semi-permanent sign. It listed the number of military killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Every week he would update that sign, with large, bold black numbers. When Barack Obama was elected president he took the sign down and it has never been put up again. It’s like the war ended on that day. I have noticed that the news media has done the same thing. There is no mention of the war; no mention of the numbers killed each week, no mentions of what operations are going on. Nothing. It is like the war is over.

When George Bush was president a little over 500 soldiers were killed in Afghanistan. As of this month, there have been almost 1,500 US military killed in Afghanistan since Barack Obama took office, and there have been over 15,000 wounded. However there is not a peep from the media. Nothing on TV news, nothing in print and nothing on the radio. It’s like the war ended.

Just last week fifteen guerillas infiltrated a British post, Camp Bastion, and destroyed eight Marine Corps Harrier jets. During the attack the commanding officer of Marine Attack Squadron 211, Colonel Christopher Raible, led a counterattack of anyone on the flight line. Raible and another Marine were killed in the attack. All but one of the guerillas was killed. Besides the Harrier jets the insurgents also destroyed helicopters, other aircraft, three refueling stations and several hangars. There is a possibility that Prince Harry, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson, was there at the time. This was the worst loss of aircraft in Marine aviation history since the Tet Offensive in Vietnam in 1968. The last time VMA 211 was deemed combat ineffective was when their aircraft were destroyed on Wake Island in WWII.

However, not a peep from the media. Not a sound from the anti-war movement. Are the war protesters hypocrites? Do they only show up and protest when a Republican is president, but when a Democrat takes over the deaths are not worth mentioning? Where is Code Pink? Where is Cindy Sheehan? Where are Michael Moore’s documentaries? Where is the Time magazine cover showing the cost of the war? Where is my neighbor’s sign, mentioning all those who died?

Was the war a tool to be used and discarded, placed in the garage behind the paint cans, after it served its purpose?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Afghan war must be over!

Post by Jim »

rgrokelley wrote:Was the war a tool to be used and discarded, placed in the garage behind the paint cans, after it served its purpose?
I think you are correct.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Brother, the people who would effectively draw attention to the aforementioned problem are on these halls, and halls like them.

I'm willing to stand up and force the count, but remember what we as veterans have been labeled by the current regime and what we would be labeled as after we did it.
Last edited by IEDmagnet on September 25th, 2012, 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

At the risk of getting involuntarily detained for a 30 day psychological evaluation...

"I will defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies foreign and DOMESTIC."

At the end of the day Veterans have been marginalized to the point that even though we don't have the numbers to sway a federal election they still throw away a significant percentage of our votes from overseas.

Fuck 'em.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Some people wonder why I can't stand civilians.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Ranger Rgrokelley,

I wanted to respond to your post on this thread since I first read it but respected that I am a guest here at ArmyRanger.com. That the right to do so is more for those who have been there and done it, for those who served or do serve so I refrained.

Today I was pleased to at least see some press given to those who have served in the Afghan War on the front page of the Seattle Times and immediately your post (which I agreed with) came fore front to my mind (if I should have placed the link to this article in a more appropriate place per ArmyRanger.com rules I apologize and will move it there)

Below is a link to that article titled 'Gold Star mother mourns 2,000th casualty in Afghan war'

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworl ... war07.html

As always thank you to all who have served, continue to serve and will serve to protect our freedoms. Those who have died will not be forgotten and are always in my prayers Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”