SITREP Justin

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Precision_Hell
Embryo

SITREP Justin

Post by Precision_Hell »

Rangers,

In late February 2011 my tattoo waiver passed and I attended MEPS (as mentioned in other posts) and passed all of my physicals. They were not able to secure me a contract that day due to my recruiter not looking ahead to see if they had slots and options open. I understand this happens frequently and I have made it a point to be persistent in my pursuit of a 68W contract with an option 4. I was informed shortly after that the army had closed a lot of jobs including 68W and that she'd keep looking to see if one opens up. I told her that I understand and we'd be in touch and if I had to wait till the next fiscal year I absolutely would so that I could get the MOS I've been wanting. However, she informed me that if I waited that long I would have to redo my tattoo waiver because "they're only good for 6 months"

I call my recruiter several times a week to check in and see what is going on and if any slots have opened up and more often then not I don't receive a call back. I don't know whether to equate this to laziness or overly busyness. She's aware of my aspirations to become a Ranger Medic but she isn't striking me as being the persistent type to keep searching to find me a slot for 68W Opt. 4.

My questions are:

1.) Does the army tattoo waiver have an expiration period? Or am I just being BS'd?

2.) If I decide to drop my recruiter and find another will I have to go through the waiver and MEPS process all over again?

3.) If I never get another tattoo and my waiver is still a go what are the chances of getting discharged over my tattoos during my enlistment?

I have done research elsewhere online and received mix responses to all of my questions. I have also spoken with the Army Recruiting Reps via the online chat provided by goarmy.com but they can't give me solid answers either.

I am aware that AR 670-1 Para 8 E states that the initial entry recruiting commander's say is gospel and it's not delegated further but I also here of soldiers getting discharged over their tattoos.

Again, just to reiterate my tattoos are not indecent or sexist, they are just on the sides of my neck and are within regulation boundaries.

Thanks ahead of time for any light that can be shed on this topic.
"Never Quit"

MOS 68W Ship Date 20120521
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: SITREP Justin

Post by hit_it »

1) Yes it has a time limit. You are not getting messed around.

2) As long as your physical is good you will need to do a re-inspect (brief med scheck) and provided the waiver is still good, go down and wait to reserve a job.

3) There is a chance you can be put on the hard line if one or more of your tatoos are gang related or racially extreme. You will be given the option of having them removed. The tattoo waiver was a check of your tatoos for these violations. Should you get more they will be checked as well. I have a teammate who is covered everywhere from right below his ears all the way to his ankles and he doesn't have an issue, but there is always a small possibilty when dealing with big Army. You wanna be here? Be flexible,

The chat recruiters are full of shit. Their goal is to get you in the door to your local recruiter. It's a waste of time to ask them anything specific about enlisting. That was part of the reason I became a Moderator here when I was a recruiter.

AR 670-1 speaks to the authority of your commander to dictate which tats you may or may not keep. It doesn't count for you trying to enlist. AR's 40-501 AND 601-210 will cover the requirements for enlistment applicants with tattoos.

Just because your tats don't offend doesn't mean that you are "green lighted" automatically. If Big Army decides to close the tattoo policy down before you get in, you ain't getting in. The regulation can be changed and has been on multiple occasion (age limit was changed twice in 10 years). It was only relaxed so they could get more bodies in quickly to get more hands in the fight.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Precision_Hell
Embryo

SITREP Justin

Post by Precision_Hell »

MSG hit_it,

Thank you sir for the answers. It was precisely what I was looking for.
"Never Quit"

Precision_Hell
Embryo

Re: SITREP Justin

Post by Precision_Hell »

Rangers/Other Soldiers that have assisted me on this website,

First 25M target down!

I have secured my 68W contract. Signed and swore into the DEP on 20111223.

Unfortunately at the time Opt. 4 and 40 were unavailable and I will no longer sit idly by. While at MEPS I did get airborne qualified so if something does come back between now and when I ship I can annex it. If not then I will make my own luck.

I plan on establishing a track record of giving my all and then some in BCT and in AIT to aid in the decisions made to approve my packet for RASP.

It has been an interesting experience since I first undertook this journey but I am pleased that I am now on my way and one step closer to my objective. I want to thank MSG Hit_it and all of the Rangers that provided me with invaluable knowledge preparing me for this.

Ship Date 20120521
"Never Quit"

Return to “Recruitment Process”