Introduction - Kolt

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Kolt4511
Egg

Introduction - Kolt

Post by Kolt4511 »

Good afternoon Rangers,

I am Kolt, I will be graduating from Texas A&M in December with a Construction Science degree. I have done a few internships with industrial contractors building power plants. The desk job is not for me. I have always wanted to be in the millitary and the Rangers seem to be the best fit. My grandpa was on Iwo Jima and my stepbrother was a Recon Marine, I will be the first in the Army.

I grew up poor and tough, working oil wells at 14 to help pay bills for the family, I then went on to construction where I worked enough to pay my way through college. I am not your average college kid. Common sense is much more important to me that book smarts. The ability to learn and adapt quickly is also a valued quality that I have developed over the years.

I was an undersized linebacker/ defensive end in high schoo,l always going up against guys that outweighed me by at least 75lbs. When I got to A&M I played rugby then switched to MMA. Fighting at 170lbs was great, I was finally going up against guys that were my size, but didn't have my strength or mentality. (because they did not spend their life competing with 225-250lbs guys) I became the strength and conditioning coach for the MMA team.

PT Scores:
Push Ups = 80
Sit Ups = 85
Pull Ups = 17
2 Mile run = 14:30 (This is unacceptable and I have begun running daily to improve it)

My recruiter wants me to sign an 18x contract and opt out after Airborne, to volunteer for RASP. He called the R.O.C. and they said there will never be an 11x option 40 slot open (for college grads) because there are so many people trying to get an 11x that the Army does not have to offer any incentives. I have spent many hours on this website and I fully understand many Ranger's stance on holding out until one becomes available. However, the 18x has the earliest ship date (April 24) and will guarantee me at least Airborne. I will be a PT stud and absorb every bit of knowledge I can, to be the best soldier in my platoon and maximize my chance of going to RASP. I plan on signing next week when I am able to travel to MEPS.

Thank you for your time Rangers.
Effort and mental toughness are the greatest qualities one can display.

Who would you rather have on your team?
Rudy or T.O.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Kolt

Post by Steadfast »

Howdy & welcome.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction - Kolt

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Kolt.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

there will never be an 11x option 40 slot open (for college grads) because there are so many people trying to get an 11x that the Army does not have to offer any incentives.
That is a bold faced lie.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Also, you will be able to get an 11x opt. 40 leaving around april or may.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Welcome, Kolt. You are in the exact same position I was in '03. I was given similar options, but chose to wait for what I wanted. I got a Ranger contract soon thereafter and left in early '04. It'll happen...good luck and enjoy being "the old guy" in basic!
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
AtlDan
Tadpole

Post by AtlDan »

For what it is worth, my son waited 4 or 5 months for an 11x Opt 40 contract.
That was a little over a year ago.
3/75 Dad
When in the course of human events...
Kolt4511
Egg

Post by Kolt4511 »

Thanks for the welcome Rangers,

Howdy Ranger Steadfast are you an Aggie too?

Thank you Ranger goon175, after reading your comment, I returned to my recruiter and respectfully had him call the R.O.C. again. We got new information this time. After taking the ASVAB there will be more positions available to me, upon receiving this info I had them remove my 18x contract and I will be going to MEPS with nothing locked in. They did not tell me about this before because my SFC wants all of his recruits to have a job locked in before going to MEPS. (and will not allow multiple trips to MEPS to try for the desired contract, if it is not available at the time). If the opt 40 is not available at the time I will find a new recruiter that understands how important it is to me.

Thank you Ranger snafu, I am looking forward to it. I understand that being 23 is still young but I will do my best to be an example for some of the younger guys during basic.

Rudy or T.O.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Lunch wrote:Welcome to the site and good luck in your endeavor. Good move not to screw someone else out of an 18x contract you had no intention of keeping; that would have been a really, really poor first step.
howdy, '91.

I agree that you shouldn't take a contract you don't intend to fulfill. get want you want or walk. if this recruiter/station doesn't work out, it's a short drive to Huntsville/Brenham or wherever else you need to find a station. or back at mom and dad's if need be.

and I'd listen closely to anything Goon says about recruiting.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

"KOLT this is COLT, Over"
"Roger, be advised, you're callsign is Foxtrot Uniform, Over"
"How copy? Over" :evil:

"KOLT this is COLT, I say again, Romeo Tango Bravo, standby for further, Over"

:wink: :lol: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Ok, so what it looks like to me is that he is having you test at night, stay at the hotel, and then do the physical right away next morning, followed by picking a job and swearing in. I personally don't like to do it all in one shot. Typically I have my applicants go up and test one night, and then we come back and look at jobs. I don't project them to go up and do the physical and enlist until they are comfortable with the job they have reserved. Sometimes applicants pick a job as soon as we get back and are headed back up to meps a mere 4 or 5 days later to enlist, and sometimes applicants wait weeks before something they like comes along. Doing it all in one shot puts you on the spot to pick a job there with the guidance counselor, and if you don't pick one, your wasting every ones time. Better to have a job reserved when you go up there. It honestly doesn't sound like this station has your best interests in mind, in my opinion.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Kolt4511
Egg

Post by Kolt4511 »

Thanks for your response Ranger goon175,
That is exactly what is going on. I agree that they do not have my best interest in mind. I mentioned to my recruiter that taking the test then waiting would be better. He said could not change the date of my physical, because he had already put it into the system and could not change the date.

Is there any truth to this?
I take the test Monday and am scheduled to do the physical Tuesday (November 1).

Ranger Lunch & KW Driver,
I literally said the exact same thing to my recruiter, and he told me to "look out for my best interests" because it would give me at least OSUT and Airborne. I did not feel right doing it and got out as soon as I could. I will not step on others to get ahead.

Rudy or T.O.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

They can indeed change the projection, or rather cancel the night test/morning phys-enlist projection and just re project you for only a night test. He is probably (understandably) reluctant to do this as he will get a big "WTF" from his station commander and 1sg. You might politely and respectfully let him know that it might be better to do it this way as opposed to you going down there and taking the test, doing the physical, and then not signing your contract if they don't have the job you want available.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Kolt4511
Egg

Post by Kolt4511 »

Roger that, Ranger goon175

Thank you for taking time out of your Saturday to answer my question. I truly appreciate it.

Rudy or T.O.

Return to “Introduction Archive”