Introducing Myself

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

elutz22
Embryo

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by elutz22 »

Ranger goon175,

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The only thing I want to say is that I would not mind going the enlisted route. I realize that it is the best way to become a Ranger, but you're right in thinking that I don't want to disappoint my dad. It's also my sister and my mom. I am very much affected by the support of my family when making decisions, and I can't just go against everything they say and enlist. I realize they're afraid for me, and they will be afraid whichever route I take, but I think enlisting scares them even more. I did not realize there was a different between serving in a Regiment or being a Tabbed Ranger; I apologize for not doing that research :( . I'm glad to hear that the chances are still good to attend Ranger School as an officer. As I said in my introduction, it's all about being prepared. That isn't to say I won't be pulling out all the stops to serve in a Regiment as an officer!

Thank you all again for your input. I'm sorry if I caused a few of you to grind your teeth once or twice. I will keep you all updated on my status as time progresses.

Eric
‎"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents; What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." - Winston Churchill
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

You may as well take that quote out of your sigline now as it apparently means nothing as to what it states. Or you could add to it; "what a shame it would be...opportunity arrives...and I didn't take it because I had to ask my mom and my sister if it was ok to go and become a man on my own."

The easiest way to failure is to try please everybody all the time.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

To the Rangers who have responded to this topic and to the Rangers who have simply read over my posts,

I want to sincerely apologize for what I have said. Throughout this entire process, I have allowed myself to become so big-headed with the positions that I could potentially qualify for. I had a VERY stern talking to by the Professor of Military Science, and he took me down quite a few notches. I realize now that I am in NO way ready to be an officer; especially not one in the Rangers. I was being way too selfish in my own desires and goals where the Army is for one who works for the good of the whole. My comrades must come before me.

It took me some "soul searching" to find out why I wanted to be in the military in the first place. The answer is medicine. I see now that there is a great honor in enlisting. I want to start from the enlisted level so I can earn my place among the Army. I would like to become a Special Operations Combat Medic. I still want to be an Army Ranger because of the preparedness I spoke about before. I appreciate what the Rangers do, and I want to be the one to take care of them. I will be talking with the Army Recruiter about setting up enlistment so I can begin my training once I graduate from Tech.

I feel that this is a good place for me to start. I still want to do medicine in the end, and I think that being a Special Operations Combat Medic will be a highly valuable experience that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Thank you all again,

Eric
‎"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents; What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." - Winston Churchill
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Eric, this issue has been raised before. Please view this thread, I think it will answer most if not all your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45105&p=695086&hil ... bd#p695086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I don't think you will be dissapointed with your decision at all, glad to see you come around.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I have never disputed a thing that Ranger goon175 has ever said until now. You will be disappointed if you do not prepare yourself for the task ahead. All the "want" in the world will not get it done as many young men who have been on this site with aspirations of being an Army Ranger eventually found out. You need to work hard to prepare yourself.
I definately agree with you! The 68W route into Regiment has the longest pipeline, and is both academically and physically hard to accomplish. I should have said "I don't think you will be dissapointed, IF you make it"
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

Rangers,

So I've done some reading into 68W and I still have a question or two. I saw Ranger RngrDoc75's post that you must apply to Rangers once you are through 68W AIT training. My question is, what is the criteria for being accepted? Or is it pretty much if you want the training and you've completed your 68W training, you get it. And the recruiter I just talked to said first you must simply apply to Rangers, THEN you try to apply to SOCM. Is that true? Ranger RngrDoc75 says, "Upon completion of RIP, a skill level 1 medic attends the Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) course at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center (JSOMTC) at Fort Bragg, NC." Thanks guys!

Eric
FSHerbert
Ranger

Introducing Myself

Post by FSHerbert »

Eric,

I am waiting to ship with a 68W contract, and by some grace of fate also have an Option 40 so I have done extensive research on the topic of being a medic in The Regiment with the hopes of earning my place.

The first step is to get a slot in to RASP (what you referred to as RIP, there has been a name and program change). If you earn the slot into RASP and then complete it, eight week course, you then go into a hold of 8 - 12 weeks where you work as a medic learning and honing skills. When your superiors believe you are ready, that is the time when you will go to SOCM at Fort Bragg. After you finish that training, six months, you are headed to earn your place in the ranks of The Regiment.
If you don't pass RASP you don't go to SOCM because the Army isn't going to pay for you to train as a Special Operations Medic if you fail out of special operations training. If you wash out of SOCM you don't go to the Regiment as a medic because successful completion is required for all medics entering The Regiment.

I hope this helps with your question.

Herbert
RASP Class 1 - 13
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

FSHerbert,

First off, congratulations! I'm glad to see that we share the same goal and that you are actually on your way to accomplish it. I'll have to remember your name if I end up going through with this. Your answer has helped, thank you. I'm still unsure about how hard it'd be to get into RASP if I don't get a Option 40 contract (hoping I do!). Also, where did you talk to your recruiter?

Eric
Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Just thought I would share a few tidbits.

My roomate in rasp was a medic, he's lurking around this site somewhere. Asystole557. SOCM is now 9 months and pre socm varies in length too. I think he was there for almost 5 months.

If you are good at pt you will get the chance to go to rasp. Find the liaisons info for regimental recruiting and bug him incessantly. Also, you will be shocked by how many people don't want to go to regiment, especially in mos's other than infantry. Our class graduated one medic out of the three who started. Bottom line, medics are always in high demand, and if you are motivated you will get a slot.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
elutz22
Embryo

Post by elutz22 »

Cayo,

Thank you for your response. Once I get to that stage, I am sure that I will be able to bug the living hell out of whoever is in charge so I can get into RASP.

Currently, my next step is the ASVABs. I am studying for them now and will hopefully take them by the end of the month. Once that is finished, I will either look for 68W with an Option 40 or with an Airborne contract. If neither of those are found after a few months, I'll settle with 68W straight up. Whatever route I go, I will be sure to push myself to whatever end so I can make a good impression for future progression.

Thanks again for the information,

Eric
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

elutz22 wrote: I'll settle with 68W straight up.
Judging from all I've read on this thread and seeing all the well thought out responses to you from fellow Rangers...the above statement makes zero sense. You've gone from only being a Ranger officer to a regular Army medic. I don't think you're quite done soul searching if this is what you've landed on. If you truly want to be a Ranger, settling will never get you there.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.

Return to “Introduction Archive”