Introduction - Logan

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Nox
Egg

Introduction - Logan

Post by Nox »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Logan, I'm 26 and reside in rural West Virginia. I've spent my life trying to be what others have wanted me to be, which has led to a lot of discontent on my part. Last summer I decided to change that and do something that I wanted to do, so I took a contract job working in Iraq. While I was there, I was on top of the world...I had found that "something" that I loved. The military has always appealed to me, and this gave me a firsthand experience of being "deployed" in a sense (wearing full battle-rattle while taking mortar fire is exhilarating, lol).

When I came back CONUS I talked to my fiancé about wanting to enlist, and she threw a fit. As of March, her and I are no longer together due to this conflict of interest. You only live once, it took me 26 years to realize that.

I originally had intended on enlisting with the Marines, simply because of the deep-seeded brotherhood that I've observed in all the Marines I have met. I wanted to give myself every opportunity I could to "talk myself out of" enlisting...just to make sure that it's something I truly want. In June I began police academy (at my own expense), because Law Enforcement is something that I've always had an interest in. Over the past few months in the academy though, I've become more and more aware that what I "want" in life is to be a soldier.

The reason I ended up here on this site is because our firearms instructor in the academy is a Vietnam era Ranger (interesting twist of fate), and he and I have really gotten to know each other pretty well over the past few months. He planted the seed, but after extensive research (and numerous conversations with him) I've decided that I want to be a Ranger.

I have yet to talk to a recruiter, however I plan to do that next week after the academy finishes. If there are no 11x option 40 contracts available then I'll divert to plan B and talk to a Marine recruiter instead...but only if there is absolutely no possible way of getting an option 40. I took the ASVAB 9 years ago in highschool and got a 91 with a 130 GT score...I'm hoping I can do the same now. As far as PT is concerned, I'm currently at:

35 pushups (1 minute)
48 situps (1 minute)
1.5 mile run (11:57)

The standards we follow in the academy are different from military standards (1.5 mile run instead of 2 mile, 1 minute intervals for pushups/situps instead of 2 minutes) but starting next week I'll be jumping on the RASP preparation workout from the Ft. Benning website.

Thank you for allowing me to join your forum. Hopefully I'll be allowed the chance to prove myself at RASP as well.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Logan

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome here Nox.

Update us when you get the 2 min item done.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Nox
Egg

Re: Introduction - Logan

Post by Nox »

Roger, Ranger Steadfast.