Introducton: "Cherry" LT looking for wisdom

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

AshCav
Embryo

Post by AshCav »

Greetings Rangers, servicemen, veterans, and supporters,
I am a newly commissioned 2LT (23JUL). I will not be branched until 13SEP, but my OML score is high enough that I believe I will get my choice of MI with an Armor detail. I am hoping to be stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord,WA.

I have joined this site because I want to go into Ranger school after BOLC. Ranger school slots are slightly more competitive for non-Infantry officers, so my current objective now is to excel during the pre-Ranger phase at BOLC so I can gain a slot.I have picked up the book "No Excuse Leadership" and have been enjoying the Ranger stories and advise contained in that book. I will be scouring this forum for additional wisdom in order to achieve my goal.

v/r,
2LT AshCav
Mingo Kane
Ranger

Re: Introducton: "Cherry" LT looking for wisdom

Post by Mingo Kane »

There is plenty of wisdom and advice on this board to see you through, and welcome young 'butterbar'.
B Co. 1st/75th 1983-86
Mentor to JTEL1
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Welcome Sir! I hope you get your slot!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Your future is whatever you make it to be. Enjoy the ride, young warrior-in-the-making.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Sir.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It is easier to get forgiveness, than permission. Well, it worked for me.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

First off, thank you for your service Sir! I wish you a long, healthy career.

Best advice an (ummm hmmm :| ) older former Senior NCO can give you is "listen to your PSG". Even if you you disagree, listen. In most cases (not ALL as you will learn), he got there (where he is) the hardway, earned his shit and more than likely ain't a dumbass at this point. Seek the wise counsel when needed of the CSM, 1SG and Field Grades and above. Always (ALWAYS) leave your PSG in the best light in front of the men. Quite professionalism marked by tinges of astute leadership from the front win the day. Think Audie Murphy ("The BEST!" LT the Army ever produced and should be every LT's role model). Good luck! :wink: 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
AshCav
Embryo

Post by AshCav »

colt1rgr wrote:First off, thank you for your service Sir! I wish you a long, healthy career.

Best advice an (ummm hmmm :| ) older former Senior NCO can give you is "listen to your PSG". Even if you you disagree, listen. In most cases (not ALL as you will learn), he got there (where he is) the hardway, earned his shit and more than likely ain't a dumbass at this point. Seek the wise counsel when needed of the CSM, 1SG and Field Grades and above. Always (ALWAYS) leave your PSG in the best light in front of the men. Quite professionalism marked by tinges of astute leadership from the front win the day. Think Audie Murphy ("The BEST!" LT the Army ever produced and should be every LT's role model). Good luck! :wink: 8)
Thank you very much, Ranger colt1rgr. I have often heard that the worst LT's are the ones that think they know everything. I once heard a very wise SFC (a Ranger, no less) say that the PL position almost solely exists to prepare the officer for the company leadership position.

Return to “Introduction Archive”