Military Members at Risk for Joint Problems

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Military Members at Risk for Joint Problems

Post by C-MAC »

U.S. service members are at high risk of early disability from osteoarthritis due to the job's extreme physical demands, according to a study in Arthritis and Rheumatism. An estimated 26.9 million American adults have osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis in older individuals. The condition is also associated with traumatic joint injuries. From 1999 to 2008, first-time diagnoses of osteoarthritis were recorded in active-duty service members from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. On average, 10,827 cases were diagnosed annually among about 1.4 million service members.
Read More
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Military Members at Risk for Joint Problems

Post by Baseplate »

Well I for one am shocked at this news. I just thought all 30 year olds hurt like hell when they get out of bed every morning
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Baseplate wrote:Well I for one am shocked at this news. I just thought all 30 year olds hurt like hell when they get out of bed every morning
Come back in another ten years or so and talk to me. You will pine for the way you felt at 30... :shock:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

C-MAC wrote:
Baseplate wrote:Well I for one am shocked at this news. I just thought all 30 year olds hurt like hell when they get out of bed every morning
Come back in another ten years or so and talk to me. You will pine for the way you felt at 30... :shock:
I pine for the way I felt at 50.........
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lefty wrote:
C-MAC wrote:
I pine for the way I felt at 50.........
Same here. Hell, I'd settle for the way I felt at 60.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

(sigh) Will we meet qualification for the Walker Brigade?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Sad reality? I haven't done a third of the humpin and jumpin you guys did. :roll:

Heck, I feel better already just thinking about that. :lol:
Ranger KW Driver
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Bunions are just not for women who wear heels.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Ironically, even just the normal PT routine of many non-combat arms units is worse on the joints than it needs to be:

It's from those frequent platoon-size or better "run" formations, where they stick the slowest soldier (almost always a 4'-11" female) in front, which leads to the rest of the formation practically stomping their feet on the hardball, which leads to more joint injuries and stress fractures, as well as general loss of fitness and the full-stride muscle memory needed for the PT test.

Admittedly, I was never the fastest runner, and never will be, but you can't improve if you're all running at the current pace of the slowest person in formation!

I expect this isn't a problem at the 75th, but maybe some of you Rangers have noticed it after moving on to other units.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

C-MAC wrote:
U.S. service members are at high risk of early disability from osteoarthritis due to the job's extreme physical demands, according to a study in Arthritis and Rheumatism. An estimated 26.9 million American adults have osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis in older individuals. The condition is also associated with traumatic joint injuries. From 1999 to 2008, first-time diagnoses of osteoarthritis were recorded in active-duty service members from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. On average, 10,827 cases were diagnosed annually among about 1.4 million service members.
Read More
Shocking I say!

I'm 32 and my back is 18 different types of fucked up and I'm being forced to reclass because of my knee.

Probably just poor genetics on my part. Couldn't be the Army. :D
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

[quote="C-MAC"]Sad reality? I haven't done a third of the humpin and jumpin you guys did. :roll:quote]

Don't think it was all the humpin' and jumpin' in the Army, it was all the humpin' and jumpin' and stuff I've been doin' since.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

Return to “The News Dump”