PTSD and how to talk to a Ranger Veteran

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

JES_forever
Embryo

Re: PTSD and how to talk to a Ranger Veteran

Post by JES_forever »

Ok... So it's not possible for a Ranger in the 2-75 during those years to have witnessed something to cause PTSD? Is that what you're saying?

I am not 100% on the dates I posted. True. We haven't been dating long. I am working on it.

I do know that my Ranger friend who died had nightmares about something he witnessed on a mission that, judging by the dates of the actual conflicts and combat in the History section of this site, wasn't combat. And, could not have been part of training. That's all I can say without betraying his confidence in me before he died.

I'm pretty sure that posing about PTSD would be against the grain of any man who served in The Rangers. No?
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I am not really sure what you are asking but what I am saying is that 2nd Ranger Bn was in combat in Panama and then next in OEF in 2002. You also said he spoke of a buddy who died. I am telling you that no member of 2/75 was killed in action or training during those dates. If you don't believe me you can look it up yourself. Nothing that the Ranger Regt did 17 years ago is classified and is all public knowledge. As far as not speaking about PTSD I never saw the stanza of the Ranger Creed that mentioned it.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I do know that my Ranger friend who died had nightmares about something he witnessed on a mission that, judging by the dates of the actual conflicts and combat in the History section of this site, wasn't combat. And, could not have been part of training. That's all I can say without betraying his confidence in me before he died.
Jes, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that before he passed he confided in what caused his PTSD?

And in your earlier posts' you stated that he was part of the Mogadishu mission, correct, or were you just assuming? Did he actually tell you that?

I'm certainly not calking you out on this, just trying to make some sense of it.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Sorry about the spelling in my last reply, Freudian slip, clearly. Should read "calling" you out.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

JES_forever
Embryo

Post by JES_forever »

Here it is: I had one Ranger friend who passed away recently who was part of the Somalia mission. He served from 92-94. But, he told me what his nightmares were about shortly before he died. After his death I sat with a friend who knew more about his service and we figured out what he was dreaming about. And it wasn't Somalia.

In the same conversation, he told me that he had just started to seek counseling for PTSD because the Army had finally begun declassifying his missions.

The Ranger I just started dating is completely unrelated and coincidental to the first.

I think I should take all the good info I've gotten here so far and quit while I'm ahead. I don't want to get deeper into things I probably shouldn't be posting on a message board.

Thank you, guys!
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Jes, some have said it more bluntly than others. some of us were trying to ease you into the idea or fact that possibly both of your guys are, or have lied to you about their service.

if you want to know if your first guy severed in Somalia as a Ranger, you simply have to ask. we can tell you. there are several here that did, and they would know your guy if he did. it doesn't have to be in the open either. B57 can tell you definitively. that's what his PM talks were going to be about I'm sure. If he was in 2nd Battalion, he didn't go to Somalia. period.

as has been said, everything that the Ranger Regiment has done, is openly searchable. if you look for the answers, you can find them. There may not be discussion of exactly what happened, but everything the Regiment has been involved in operationally, is published in the open. if your guys say it's classified, and I can't talk about what year, or where he did something, he's lying to you.

everyone who's posted something here feels that you're being lied to in some manner. to what extent is for you to figure out. if you want help figuring it out, all you have to do is ask.

It sounds like you are in denial, and that's natural and expected. especially if you're emotionally invested in the relationship to these men. when you're done being angry, come on back to ask the hard questions, and we can help you find the answers.

we don't like men who tarnish our name and reputations. men who pretend to have done what we've done are just such men.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
JES_forever
Embryo

Post by JES_forever »

Huh. Well...that's a lot to take in.

To be fair, my 2nd Batt Ranger has said very little so far--and it wasn't to impress me but to warn me about him jumping out of bed (his close friend who has known us both since childhood warned me it was military related). Maybe he's wrong! That would be great!!! I could return the book I ordered!!!!

And the HQ vet...I don't know. Believe me, I wish from the bottom of my heart that the story he told me was a fantasy. I would be relieved to know that he wasn't really tortured for most of his adult life by the images he described. Most of all, I would be so glad to know that he didn't do what he said he did. I'll leave it at that.

Thank you all, again. I guess I'll read up as much as I can and play it by ear. Perhaps I'll be back! However, the Ranger I'm dating now would FREAK if he found out that I was snooping behind his back about his military service and that would be the end of that. So, I'll pass on giving his name out. But thank you for the offer.

I will try to get him to join the board though! He's an awesome guy.

Thanks for the insight. Really and truly.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Who knew that the guy that kicked my ass at beerpong could be so eloquent.

JES, Ranger Zonk and Ranger KW Driver nailed it. Give it some thought and check in later.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

JES_forever wrote: To be fair, my 2nd Batt Ranger has said very little so far--and it wasn't to impress me but to warn me about him jumping out of bed (his close friend who has known us both since childhood warned me it was military related).
I heard about a guy from RTB who had a traumatic incident after attending a hockey game.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
JES_forever
Embryo

Post by JES_forever »

The dead HQ Ranger's mother put his framed Ranger School certificate, his uniform, and pictures around the urn with his ashes at his funeral. One of his Ranger buddies spoke at his service. So I'm convinced. He was briefly a member of this board so you guys were convinced too.

I've known the 2nd Battalion one since I was a kid and remember when he went off to the Rangers. If he's lying, its all been a clever plot since Clinton was president complete with a fraudulent 2-75 full sleeve tattoo.

I somehow misrepresented their stories. But I want to be clear--especially since one is dead:

John (HQ) gave me a sketchy account of his nightmare that was all emotions and images.

The one I'm dating (2nd Battalion) simply told me about his jumping out of bed so I wouldn't be alarmed. (and obviously if I had him join this board I wouldn't tell him who JES_forever is..duh!)

Though I've asked, neither has said word-one about a tour, a mission, a date, a time, or a place. Neither has ever tried to impress me or be a braggart. It's the opposite really.

All the other information that I've shared here was provided by third parties. By nature of that statement, I will shut my big mouth now.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

you may be correct Jes. the way you related the stories to us, it sounded fishy. we felt the way we did based on what you put up, the way you put it up. so if they're legit, no harm, no foul.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
JES_forever
Embryo

Post by JES_forever »

Pssht. Me beat up? Weak women don't date former Rangers! It would take a whole lot more for me to feel beat up! :) God!

I came on this board to be prepared for whatever comes down the road with him. Maybe I'll find out that his PTSD is from a bad latrine incident. Who knows. My goal is to be there for him and not to stammer with a confused look on my face when--or if--he starts to talk.

That's all. :)

I appreciate you guys looking out for me, though! Man, the Army turns out some intense, tough-asses! I promise I'll come back with an update.

Return to “Introduction Archive”