Random thought of the moment.

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: Random thought of the moment.

Post by NeverSayDie »

Ranger Baseplate,

Permission to speak freely?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

NeverSayDie wrote:Ranger Baseplate,

say what you have to say, however you want to say it. be prepared to defend your position. got your feelings hurt by his statement? take a second to evaluate why he said what he said, and how he said what he said. then figure out if you are contributing to or correcting a stereotype/perspective/position when you reply. are you going to improve or discredit the Officer Corps /fill in the blank?

are you going to mentor/inform/change someone, or are you going to descend into a name calling-pissing contest.

and finally, there is a saying that you should do what your career and conscience can afford. this is a general statement on my part, not just directed at this exchange. if you're going to have a professionally based discussion, think about what you are going to say and how you are going to act.

leading with your face hurts eventually. all of us have done it to one extent or another.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

KW Driver wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:Ranger Baseplate,

say what you have to say, however you want to say it. be prepared to defend your position. got your feelings hurt by his statement? take a second to evaluate why he said what he said, and how he said what he said. then figure out if you are contributing to or correcting a stereotype/perspective/position when you reply. are you going to improve or discredit the Officer Corps /fill in the blank?

are you going to mentor/inform/change someone, or are you going to descend into a name calling-pissing contest.

and finally, there is a saying that you should do what your career and conscience can afford. this is a general statement on my part, not just directed at this exchange. if you're going to have a professionally based discussion, think about what you are going to say and how you are going to act.

leading with your face hurts eventually. all of us have done it to one extent or another.
X2 well said KW.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Ranger KW Driver,

Roger

Ranger Baseplate,

One of the best Cadets at our school cuaght a thorn bush in his eye at that same FTX and now may not be able to commission due to an injury that could have been easily preventable. I understand the notion that eyepro along with other gadgets this generation of soldiers has been graced with may seem like creatur comforts to those that served before and did just fine without them. However if I'm a pussy fine, but I'm a pussy with 20/20 and I'm gonna keep it that way.

anything new is going to catch critisism. I fully understood and concured with this argument when it was based on something as delicate as GPS. When talking about everything new however, the logic gets lost on me. Radios break down. Does that mean we should do away with RTO's?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

KW: Good mentoring.

Baseplate:
I have to back my mentee on this one for his common sense.
The biggest, baddest Chuck Norris/Arnold character with a stick in his eye is as blind as the weakest pussy. Did I miss the chapter in the PT manual where you do "eyeball-ups" or "cornea crunches" to toughen up those facial bags of water?

Because the institution takes better care of the current gen than it did ours doesn't make them any less tough. Are the Rangers hitting the obj tonight any less for all that hi-tech body armor than the VN Rangers in their cotton tigerstripes?

-----------------
NSD: Since that run time is still sucking this far into spring, by 1630 Friday (as in tomorrow), let me know how long it took you to run from the Manleys at Main & Walnut to the JC arch & back.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Well, everything said is all fair and true. But here's where I back up Baseplate a bit. We all learned pretty early how to walk the woods efficiently and effectively. We even learned how to fuck with the guys behind us at night too. It's called field craft.

I don't expect cadets to pick up much if any in ROTC. you're not likely to pick up much at all until you spend time in he field and In a light unit for that matter.

And it's a dying art. We've got mid-career soldiers who've never lived it probably. Deployed on a COP/FOB, back home into a reset, to a deployment.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

KW Driver wrote:Well, everything said is all fair and true. But here's where I back up Baseplate a bit. We all learned pretty early how to walk the woods efficiently and effectively. We even learned how to fuck with the guys behind us at night too. It's called field craft. I don't expect cadets to pick up much if any in ROTC. you're not likely to pick up much at all until you spend time in he field and In a light unit for that matter.

And it's a dying art. We've got mid-career soldiers who've never lived it probably. Deployed on a COP/FOB, back home into a reset, to a deployment.
Concure. These are things that are taught and learned after many many times walking with experienced men. Simple things that stick with you every time you step into the woods.

While we were issued Gargoyles during company issue back in my day, they weren't new, they were all scratched and didn't always fit. We hardly ever wore them.

I remember doing night land nav at Lewis as a new Private. Trying to force my way thru wait-a-minute vines and brush so thick in the black PNW forest it was like getting caught in a fishing net.

A little branch about the thickness of a pencil actually stuck in the corner of my right eye and snapped off as I pushed thru it, leaving about a 4" piece sticking out from the corner and under the skin. didn't hurt too much, pulled it out, poured some water on it and kept pushing thru brush trying to make time with one eye now.

It wasn't until later and asking how to stop from getting caught up every third step by trying to push your way thru that one of our Sgt's took us out and taught us how to move slowly and easily, peeling your way thru quietly, and easing thru the vegetation like you belong there.

What a difference a teacher makes. What a difference experience and patience and knowledge makes. I guess my point is that yes, cool gear is cool and it definitely benefits today's warriors, but being taught how to live and work without it, should it fail or break, is even cooler.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cams wrote:What a difference a teacher makes. I guess my point is that yes, cool gear is cool and it definitely benefits today's warriors, but knowing how to live and work without it, should it fail or break, is even cooler.
That's why I never wear sunglasses. Wore glasses all my life (since about age six) and have ben glad to have the eye protection. Jeff, your point is well taken. Years ago, we all knew how to use morse -- at least five words a minute. Have not even heard a "dit" or a "dah" for many years.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rabbit
Tadpole

Post by Rabbit »

NSD, what Regiment did you get?
PM me
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

cams wrote:what a difference a teacher makes. What a difference experience and patience and knowledge makes. I guess my point is that yes, cool gear is cool and it definitely benefits today's warriors, but being taught how to live and work without it, should it fail or break, is even cooler.
Perfectly said.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

How important is Spell Check?

This important.
Attachments
spell-check.jpg
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

It's been 11 days since someone last had a random thought. New record??
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

That is all
1st BN: Bco 98-02, HHC 02-04
RS 5-99

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

swagger wrote:Image

That is all
Chive on
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”